Wikiposts

K-1 Visa?

Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 Visa?

Originally Posted by Craig73
Ah ok, thanks for the link. I'll have a good read throught it later on today.

We where just abit worried about the sponsor part, my fiancee is hoping to start Law School in August, and therefor wont be working or earning money... so we're not sure how that will affect us.
It will affect you in that, if you do not have enough funds of your own, and your USC fiancee won't be working and earning income, you may need to have another person act as your sponsor for the I-134.

Rene
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Craig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
What will you live on? Someone's got some money to pay rent, groceries etc?
My fiancee (USC), will be receiving federal aid and student loans to finance her law school fees. She is actually not allowed to work anymore than 20 hrs a week while in law school. But, she won't get this money until August, which should be way after my application for the visa and interview.

So we're worried about getting approved, even though when the time comes we will have enough money to live on until I can be approved to work in the US.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:23 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So we're worried about getting approved, even though when the time comes we will have enough money to live on until I can be approved to work in the US.
Do YOU have any significant amount in savings?

Rene
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:50 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

My fiancee (USC), will be receiving federal aid and student loans to finance her law school fees. She is actually not allowed to work anymore than 20 hrs a week while in law school. But, she won't get this money until August, which should be way after my application for the visa and interview.

Then you need to read the link I gave earlier very carefully.

And you should look carefully at I-864 to make sure that once you get here, you can stay.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:04 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

C,

Cool, but will you have enough money to live on until you can find an employer who will hire you in the US?

And don't forget that the K1 is a non-immigrant visa. You'll need to adjust your status after you marry, which involves another, more rigorous, showing of financial support.

Regards, JEff

Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:12 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
C,

Cool, but will you have enough money to live on until you can find an employer who will hire you in the US?

And don't forget that the K1 is a non-immigrant visa. You'll need to adjust your status after you marry, which involves another, more rigorous, showing of financial support.

Regards, JEff
ahhh, here's my grocery guru.
Credit my above quesiton to JEff, please.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Craig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
Then you need to read the link I gave earlier very carefully.

And you should look carefully at I-864 to make sure that once you get here, you can stay.
Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
C,

Regards, JEff
Is adjusting my status after we get married include the I-864 mentioned above? Will I receive instruction on what to file and how to do this once I'm in the US and married?

Also, to answer a few other questions. My USC fiancee and myself will be living with her parents, who will be sponsoring me.

Because I do not have anything in savings or sufficient funds to sponsor myself. From what I understand this should be ok?

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice
Old Jan 27th 2009, 6:28 am

Is adjusting my status after we get married include the I-864 mentioned above? Will I receive instruction on what to file and how to do this once I'm in the US and married?
Yes. And, No.
The process is called AOS/Adjustment of Status.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 6:44 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Your wifes parents will be the joint sponsers. She still has to sponsor you . Both your fiancee and her parents will each fill out the I134. You will not need that form until your interview in London. After you arrive in the states, marry and adjust status then your fiancee and her parents will each fill out an I864. The forms also take into consideration how many people live in the houshold and show the amount of earnings and/or assets that they must have for sponsorship.

Last edited by penguinbar; Jan 27th 2009 at 6:44 am. Reason: Sorry I said wife I meant fiancee.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 6:56 am

Is adjusting my status after we get married include the I-864 mentioned above?
Yes.

Will I receive instruction on what to file and how to do this once I'm in the US and married?
No. It's up to you to do the research and file the AOS. Of course you can always retain an attorney to help you with that as well, if you find it difficult to do on your own.

Also, to answer a few other questions. My USC fiancee and myself will be living with her parents, who will be sponsoring me.
Your wife will be your sponsor, even if she doesn't qualify. Her parents can be joint sponsors, or if they live in the same household, they can be contributing household members.

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:09 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

R,

Or, he can continue to rely on [some of] us to do his research for him!

Regards, JEff

Will I receive instruction on what to file and how to do this once I'm in the US and married?
Originally Posted by Noorah101
No. It's up to you to do the research and file the AOS. Of course you can always retain an attorney to help you with that as well, if you find it difficult to do on your own.

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes.

Your wife will be your sponsor, even if she doesn't qualify. Her parents can be joint sponsors, or if they live in the same household, they can be contributing household members.

Rene

Thank you, you've been very helpful

And also thanks to everyone else as well, makes both of us feel alot better getting help/answer from the forum