Wikiposts

K-1 Visa?

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Craig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really nice
Default K-1 Visa?

Hey everyone, just looking for some help/answers with our Fiancee Visa application.

My Fiancee (USC) and myself (UK) applied for our Visa on Dec 5 2008, we recived a letter back saying they got our Visa pettion & also our $455 fee.

We know it may take up to 6-9 months to get an interview date, but was wondering if thats correct.

We also have some other question that we hope you can answer.

1. What's the waiting time for interviews

2. Where to go in London for my medical, how much it cost, when to book it

3. How do I go about getting a poilce report, if I need one

4. Where to stay in London, somewhere cheap & close to the Embassy

5. What are the possiblities of being denied our Visa

6. What should I take as proof to the Embassy

7. What's the interview like
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 6:10 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 Visa?

C73,

A point of clarification - 'we' have not applied for "our Visa". Your fiancee has petitioned for recognition of your fiance-fiancee relationship. When that petition is approved it will be your authorization to apply for your visa.

Your estimate of 6-9 months to get an interview is in the ballpark, I think, and should answer your question #1?

Questions 2, 3, and 6 will be answered in the visa application package that will be sent to you by the US consular section in London when your fiancee's petition has been approved by CIS and has been forwarded over to the consulate.

The answer to question #7 depends on your circumstances as presented in your visa application. For most people it's anticlimactic, for a few it's hell.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Craig73
Hey everyone, just looking for some help/answers with our Fiancee Visa application.

My Fiancee (USC) and myself (UK) applied for our Visa on Dec 5 2008, we recived a letter back saying they got our Visa pettion & also our $455 fee.

We know it may take up to 6-9 months to get an interview date, but was wondering if thats correct.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Jan 23rd 2009 at 6:13 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 6:11 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some pages for you to start with:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1_London_Applications

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Police_Certificates

Your time to interview may be shorter than 6-9 months, but you should plan for the long side, just in case.

You can find hotel referrals and interview stories by doing some searches here, usually with the phrase "interview experience". Let us know if you can't turn any up.
One of the best ways to get a feel for what is coming next is to read others' experiences. "Immigrant Visa" "Cr-1" "I-751" "Naturalization or N-400" type posts will not apply directly to you, but you'll pick up plenty of info as you read along.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 6:18 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually what happened was your USC fiancee sent in an I-129F petition which was received by USCIS. (This is different than the visa application.)

Yes, that's approximately correct.

From this point in time, for you, about 6 - 9 months.

The instructions for getting your medical done will come in your visa application paperwork. The medical is done at a place called "Knightsbridge", so you can do a search on the forum for that, and probably come up with others' posts on how much it cost them, and exactly where it is.

You will need a police report from your home country, and also any other country you lived in at least a year, after the age of 16. There are threads on here regarding how to obtain your police report in the UK, do a search on that.

There have been a few threads with this information as well, do a search in the forum.

Possible denials would be: you have a communicable disease, you have a criminal history which makes you ineligible to immigrate, your relationship with your fiancee is not real, you can't self-sponsor or your fiancee cannot sponsor you financially....that sort of thing. If you are simply lacking paperwork, you'll be given a chance to submit it after your interview.

Take originals of anything that was previously submitted in photocopy, your passport, proof of sponsorship...there will be a checklist in your visa application package.

Many say it's very quick and easy. They verify who you are, what visa you're applying for, they look over your paperwork to make sure you are eligible for the visa, they ask you some questions.

Rene
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

You will need (at least) one, and there's info here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Police_Certificates
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Craig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really nice

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll def have a look at the links posted
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:16 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The medical is done at a place called "Knightsbridge",
It's near 'arrods, aint it!
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:03 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I would get a vaccination history from my doctor in the meantime. Then look on the USCIS website to see if you need any more. If you do need to get some vacs, get them at your local doctors so NHS will cover the cost. Both Knightsbridge Doctors (where you have to get the visa medical in London) and doctors in the states can charge quite a bit. My husband and I stayed at the Comfort Inn Notting Hill for his K1 interview in June. We booked it on OTEL.com. We sent our I129 in Dec 07. It was recieved in Jan 08 and the petition was approved in March 08. His Interview and visa approval was in June.We got married the first week of October.We filed for AOS the last week in October. He got his Advanced Parole a week ago and his EAD Card a few days ago. Alot depeneds on how fast you get your forms in during the process and how backed up the service centers are. We used (and still are using an attorney). I have caught her making mistakes though. No matter what go over your forms very carefully and always make copies! My husbands interview was pretty anticlimactic. I did alot of worrying in the meantime! I still worry!! This forum is loads of help!
Old Jan 24th 2009, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I would get a vaccination history from my doctor in the meantime.... My husband and I stayed at the Comfort Inn Notting Hill for his K1 interview in June.... We booked it on OTEL.com.... We sent our I129 in Dec 07.... It was recieved in Jan 08 and the petition was approved in March 08.... His Interview and visa approval was in June.

Thanks for the info, was really helpful
Old Jan 24th 2009, 5:38 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Possible denials would be:... You can't self-sponsor, or your fiancee cannot sponsor you financially.

Can anyone please tell us what it exactly means?.. do we have to have a certain amount of money in our bank accounts?
Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:22 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Possible denials would be:... You can't self-sponsor, or your fiancee cannot sponsor you financially.

Can anyone please tell us what it exactly means?.. do we have to have a certain amount of money in our bank accounts?
Start here: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...rocessing.html

Your USC & you must show that you will not become a Public Charge; ie, that she earns enough income or you are bringing enough funds to see you through.

* Evidence of Support: An applicant for a K visa is not required to file an affidavit of support, form I-864 at the time he or she applies for a fiancé(e) visa. However, the Immigration and Nationality Act does require the applicant to establish to the satisfaction of the consular officer at the time of the application for a visa, and also to the satisfaction of an officer of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration at the time of application for admission to the United States, that he or she is not likely at any time to become a public charge.

(see the link from that page---very important. Also read ahead for your AOS for the sticter I-864 Affidavit of Support that you'll need after you get to the US).
Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Start here: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...rocessing.html

Your USC & you must show that you will not become a Public Charge; ie, that she earns enough income or you are bringing enough funds to see you through.

* Evidence of Support: An applicant for a K visa is not required to file an affidavit of support, form I-864 at the time he or she applies for a fiancé(e) visa. However, the Immigration and Nationality Act does require the applicant to establish to the satisfaction of the consular officer at the time of the application for a visa, and also to the satisfaction of an officer of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration at the time of application for admission to the United States, that he or she is not likely at any time to become a public charge.

(see the link from that page---very important. Also read ahead for your AOS for the sticter I-864 Affidavit of Support that you'll need after you get to the US).

Ah ok, thanks for the link. I'll have a good read throught it later on today.

We where just abit worried about the sponsor part, my fiancee is hoping to start Law School in August, and therefor wont be working or earning money... so we're not sure how that will affect us.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to meauxna's post, you can also look up the I-134 Affidavit of Support and instructions at www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms, I-134. For a general guideline of how much the USC might have to be earning, look at form I-864P (this is just a rough guide, though, for the I-134....it is the strict guideline for the I-864 associated with your AOS later on).

Rene
Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:41 am

Ah ok, thanks for the link. I'll have a good read throught it later on today.

We where just abit worried about the sponsor part, my fiancee is hoping to start Law School in August, and therefor wont be working or earning money... so we're not sure how that will affect us.
What will you live on? Someone's got some money to pay rent, groceries etc?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.