Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

is K-1 really the only choice?

is K-1 really the only choice?

Old Aug 1st 2002, 10:21 pm
Mdunn

Default is K-1 really the only choice?

I am an american citizen. My UK boyfriend and I would like to get married. I am a
college student, and there is NO WAY I can meet the income requirement to sponsor him
on a K-1 visa. My parents are struggling financially and I know they could not
co-sponsor. My boyfriend is financially secure and is planning to support both of us
once we are married (until I finish school and get a job). I am starting to feel as
though I am doomed by the system... it is my understanding that he will have trouble
getting a visa/green card to come work here before we are married due to the US
economy being so bad. Are we really doomed, or are there other options?

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 2:20 pm
Jessica Svensso

Default Re: is K-1 really the only choice?

well all i can say and this is not legal advice or maybe even good advice, but i
remember when i asked that question myself, me and my husband did it the wrong way
and it all worked out ok..

this is what we did and i would ask around cuz i know the laws are changing..but he
was from sweden and simply came here on a tourist visa, we got married about a week
after he got here and filed his employment application and his 1.-485, he got the
right to work after about..oh 4 months i think it took,..3-4 anyways, now the green
card took over a year to get..closer to 2 years..but he could work that whole time so
it wasnt a huge huge deal..except its kinda a black cloud hanging over your head cuz
your nervous about the interview for 2 years..lol but anyways thats how we did
it..but even that way you will still need a co sponser..there is no way around
that..i ended up asking my dad's ex girlfriend that barely knew us..it dosnt have to
be a relative..and it think they only have to make 33,000 a year or something like
that....see if you can think of anyone who likes you enough to do that for you, i was
sooo scared to ask my dad's ex cuz she had only met me a few times and we emailed now
and then when she left my dad but ..she just wasnt someone i ever thought would do
something like that for me..just tell ppl that the co sponsering thing is really
causing a problem..just whine about it alot..you never know who might step up to the
plate to help you

we had to do this the backwards way cuz we couldnt afford to met before we got
married the way the k-1 wants you too..

which most ppl would say is very very risky..never meeting before you get married..

doing anything out of the bounds of the actual rules of the ins is risky, but
sometimes it turns out ok...if you reallly reallyyy love him and cant live without
him..there is always hope I guess but immigration here is long and complicated and
expensive..it just
is...i look back now and wish i had just gone to sweden from the begginning instead
of him comming here..but you know..hindsight is 20/20

but yah there is my story we did it without the k-1 and alot of ppl
it..trust me..lol but the co sponser thing ..i do not know of a way to get around
that one at all..

good luck!! Jessica