K-1 Questions

Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Catnip is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K-1 Questions

Hello Everyone,

I've been reading this forum for some time as well as the Wiki, they have been a great help to me and my girlfriend, however, I do have a few questions that I haven't been able to answers to

I have a few questions regarding the I-129f form and a few general questions.

A little back-story might help, I'll keep it brief. Me and my girlfriend, me being a UK citizen and she a US citizen, have decided to get married and I have since proposed and we are now planning the wedding. However, due to me reading the processing times wrong we set a date for July 2nd which I think will not give us enough time to complete the process, so we're attempting to post the forms off as quickly as possible.

My first question is in regards to the I-129f form. I am currently visiting my girlfriend stateside and question 12. asks for this, however, I do not have a I-94 number, as I used the ESTA online form.

Also, regarding the G-325A form, I do not know my Alien Registration Number, do I need one or does this refer to other cases?

Secondly, will 6 months be long enough for completion, or would it be best to reschedule the wedding?

Thank you for reading this, I hope you can help.

Last edited by Catnip; Jan 18th 2011 at 3:01 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

kathryn79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K-1 Questions

I'm curious to know these answers too but just wanted to say congrats! I've recently become engaged and we've set a July 2 wedding as well!

Good luck and hope the process goes as smoothly as possible for you!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Catnip is an unknown quantity at this point

One more quick question. I we were to elope now and I was to return to the UK afterwards would this have ramifications to the CR-1 visa?

Is this course actually legal, by which I mean eloping, or do I need to apply for a fiance visa beforehand?

Originally Posted by kathryn79
I'm curious to know these answers too but just wanted to say congrats! I've recently become engaged and we've set a July 2 wedding as well!

Good luck and hope the process goes as smoothly as possible for you!
Thanks for the kind words Kathryn, I hope everything goes smooth for you as well!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 2:53 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Catnip

My first question is in regards to the I-129f form. I am currently visiting my girlfriend stateside and question 12. asks for this, however, I do not have a I-94 number, as I used the ESTA online form.
I don't think the form has been updated recently to account for this. I would write in 'None - ESTA.'

Also, regarding the G-325A form, I do not know my Alien Registration Number, do I need one or does this refer to other cases?

Secondly, will 6 months be long enough for completion, or would it be best to reschedule the wedding?

Thank you for reading this, I hope you can help.
You would only have an alien registration number if you had been in the immigration system before. And if you are the US citizen (you don't say), you wouldn't have one at all. If either is true, I would put N/A in that box.

There is little chance that 6 months will be long enough to complete this process. The I 129f petition will probably be approved in 4 months minimum (more like 5). Its never a good idea to plan a wedding when US immigration is involved. I wouldn't start planning until the visa was in hand, but I'm funny that way.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

uknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud of

Tracy replied before me lol and covered the 2 previous questions.

I believe processing times for I-129f are around 8-10 months so possibly consider changing your date.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catnip
However, due to me reading the processing times wrong we set a date for July 2nd which I think will not give us enough time to complete the process, so we're attempting to post the forms off as quickly as possible.
Change the date for the wedding. Even if you sent off the forms tomorrow you would likely not get the K-1 visa in time.

Then indicate that you're in the US on the VWP (not ESTA).

You don't have one... enter "none".

Reschedule the wedding. It takes 8-10 months for a K-1 visa.

I we were to elope now and I was to return to the UK afterwards would this have ramifications to the CR-1 visa?
Nothing negative, no. Your (then) wife can file the I-130 as soon as you have a copy of your marriage certificate... you don't need to be back in the UK first.

Is this course actually legal, by which I mean eloping, or do I need to apply for a fiance visa beforehand?
It is perfectly legal and okay to marry in the US while you're on the VWP... as long as you return to the UK prior to the 90-day expiry.

Ian
Old Jan 18th 2011, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

My K1 Visa was approved Dec and we started process March so approx 10 months...
Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:03 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TracyTN
You would only have an alien registration number if you had been in the immigration system before. And if you are the US citizen (you don't say), you wouldn't have one at all. If either is true, I would put N/A in that box.
Ian, the resident "sanctimonious prick," suggests "none" rather than "N/A."

I will leave it as a matter of debate as to the difference.

I will not tell the story about the time a Korean named Mr. Na had an application pending.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:50 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Ian, the resident "sanctimonious prick," suggests "none" rather than "N/A."

I will leave it as a matter of debate as to the difference.

I will not tell the story about the time a Korean named Mr. Na had an application pending.
I can see logic in both, actually. For a US citizen, I figured N/A was the better answer, as US citizens would not have an A# - unless they are naturalized citizens (which I suppose I should have asked).

Either way, 'none' or 'N/A' are better answers than leaving it blank.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

upwoodlady is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TracyTN
I don't think the form has been updated recently to account for this. I would write in 'None - ESTA.'

There is little chance that 6 months will be long enough to complete this process. The I 129f petition will probably be approved in 4 months minimum (more like 5). Its never a good idea to plan a wedding when US immigration is involved. I wouldn't start planning until the visa was in hand, but I'm funny that way.
I didnt set my wedding date until i had the visa in hand either.
We had place picked and dates we wanted . but didnt confirm until then.
Good Luck