Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K-1 Notarization Deadline

Wikiposts

K-1 Notarization Deadline

Old Mar 14th 2013, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

tennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond repute
Default K-1 Notarization Deadline

Hi folks,

I'm a noob to all of this, but already had medical in Knightsbridge and am anxious about timescales to visa interview (and validiity of x-ray being 6 months).

I have a question about my USC's need for notarization of intent to marry me, she made a petition with I-129F. We're rapidly approaching that point where we need to notorize. The congratulations letter with our case number came through 5 weeks after the date stated on the letter, so it put me 5 weeks behind (Christmas, the #uksnow in Jan) to prepare for medical and I only managed to get medical 21st Feb due to having to sort out the police certificate, getting the photographs finding someone to sign the photographs, which again delayed when I could have the medical.

My question really is will the need to notarize her intent to marry me, delay my interview as we're approaching April fast with no word of an interview?

Roughly if anyone has had to do the notarization, how long does that take to get from America to London and does it hold things up?

Regards
Lee

Last edited by tennesseestud; Mar 14th 2013 at 3:35 am.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 3:52 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 Notarization Deadline

Originally Posted by tennesseestud
I'm a noob to all of this, but already had medical in Knightsbridge and am anxious about timescales to visa interview (and validiity of x-ray being 6 months).
I'm sure you will have the visa interview within 6 months of the time you had the x-ray done (if they did it at your Knightsbridge medical exam). So don't worry about that.

I have a question about my USC's need for notarization of intent to marry me, she made a petition with I-129F. We're rapidly approaching that point where we need to notorize.
The letter of intent should have gone along with the original I-129F, did it not? All you need, if you need it at all, is to bring an updated one to the visa interview (but if you are in the UK I doubt they'll even ask for it).

The letter of intent does not need to be notarized.

...getting the photographs finding someone to sign the photographs...
I'm not sure what you're referring to here. Photographs don't need to be signed.

My question really is will the need to notarize her intent to marry me, delay my interview as we're approaching April fast with no word of an interview?
No.

Roughly if anyone has had to do the notarization, how long does that take to get from America to London and does it hold things up?
It doesn't need to be notarized, but even if it did, how long it takes to get from USA to UK depends on the method she sends it to you (i.e., Fed Ex will be faster than USPS).

If she is worried about having it notarized, she can include the "magic language" on the letter, dismissing the need for notarization. Magic language is here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...38&postcount=4

Rene
Old Mar 14th 2013, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

tennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply.

Magic language, that's a new one on me

For I-129F, my fiancee just had to write a short paragaph on how we met. The congratulations letter I have from London says she needs to re-state her intention for the petition to be valid again.

I had to get a passport photograph signed for the Police records check, so that took a short while to arrange to meet someone who could sign it for me. That was a requirement of the UK police so my certificate could be processed.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 4:13 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Point of clarification - statement of intent. The statement does not need to be in the format of a letter.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The letter of intent should have gone along with the original I-129F, did it not? All you need, if you need it at all, is to bring an updated one to the visa interview (but if you are in the UK I doubt they'll even ask for it).

The letter of intent does not need to be notarized.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 4:20 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

For I-129F, my fiancee just had to write a short paragaph on how we met.
Actually, what she needed to write was a "statement of intent" (thanks for the reminder, JEff). That her intent is to marry you within 90 days of your entry. You had to write the same statement from your side. The statements did not need to include how you met.

The congratulations letter I have from London says she needs to re-state her intention for the petition to be valid again.
OK, that clears it up, thanks.

I had to get a passport photograph signed for the Police records check, so that took a short while to arrange to meet someone who could sign it for me. That was a requirement of the UK police so my certificate could be processed.
Oh, for the police certificate, OK. Thanks for clearing that up, too.

Rene
Old Mar 14th 2013, 4:26 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

He may also have been referring to item 18 of the I-129f, "Describe the circumstances under which you met."

Regards, JEff

For I-129F, my fiancee just had to write a short paragaph on how we met. ....

Actually, what she needed to write was a "statement of intent" (thanks for the reminder, JEff). That her intent is to marry you within 90 days of your entry. You had to write the same statement from your side. The statements did not need to include how you met.
Rene
Old Mar 14th 2013, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
He may also have been referring to item 18 of the I-129f, "Describe the circumstances under which you met."

Regards, JEff
Yup that's the one. So far we haven't had to say anything about our intent to marry each other, wouldn't it be a given that we intend to take that action under K1?

It seems a bit of a palavar to have to have the USC say "yes I will", before the wedding. Kind of like a pre "do you take to be your"? Odd.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 4:58 am

Yup that's the one. So far we haven't had to say anything about our intent to marry each other, wouldn't it be a given that we intend to take that action under K1?

It seems a bit of a palavar to have to have the USC say "yes I will", before the wedding. Kind of like a pre "do you take to be your"? Odd.
Part of the requirements of filing the I-129F package, is that it must include a "statement of intent" from both of you. If she did not include these with the I-129F package, and it got approved, you got lucky.

No, it's not odd. The K-1 visa is for a fiance(e) to come to the USA for the specific purspose of marrying the I-129F petitioning fiance(e). So USCIS wants to make sure that intent to marry is there, prior to issuing the visa. It's no different from when you propose to your fiancee, you say "will you marry me?" and she says "yes, I will". That's an intent, and it's happening before the wedding. The statement of intent is the same thing, but in writing.

Rene
Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:45 am

No, nothing is a given. You and your fiancee have to state your intent and it's important that no false information be provided in that statement. The onus on you and your fiancee to demonstrate that she qualifies for the immigration benefit that she is requesting.

Statements of intent are among the required supporting documents for an I-129f petition, so if you are preparing an I-129f then you are at the point where you do have to say something about your intent to marry each other - that's the whole purpose of the I-129f petition.

Regards, JEff

Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
No, nothing is a given. You and your fiancee have to state your intent and it's important that no false information be provided in that statement. The onus on you and your fiancee to demonstrate that she qualifies for the immigration benefit that she is requesting.

Statements of intent are among the required supporting documents for an I-129f petition, so if you are preparing an I-129f then you are at the point where you do have to say something about your intent to marry each other - that's the whole purpose of the I-129f petition.

Regards, JEff
Interestingly, the OP already had his visa medical exam, so it seems they are way beyond the I-129F filing stage...it seems the I-129F was approved...I wonder if it got approved without the statements of intent?

Rene
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:27 am

Ah, you're right! After reading post #3 I forgot what he'd written in post #1.

Regards, JEff
Interestingly, the OP already had his visa medical exam, so it seems they are way beyond the I-129F filing stage...it seems the I-129F was approved...I wonder if it got approved without the statements of intent?

Rene
Old Mar 14th 2013, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Yup the petition got approved in December.

I brought the engagement ring (proposed two Christmases ago when she met my family) and she wears it so there's intent there. We've never seen anything about a statement like that, maybe it has changed recently?
Old Mar 14th 2013, 8:31 am

I brought the engagement ring (proposed two Christmases ago when she met my family) and she wears it so there's intent there. We've never seen anything about a statement like that, maybe it has changed recently?
Nope, it's been a requirement since at least 2003 when we did ours. It's on Page 2 of the I-129F instructions, Part 5.B.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf

Rene
Old Mar 14th 2013, 8:33 am

The requirement for statements of intent was instituted a long time ago, was in existance as far back as 2001 anyway.

Apparently you missed 5.B when you read the I-129f instructions.

Regards, Eff

We've never seen anything about a statement like that, maybe it has changed recently?
Old Mar 14th 2013, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

I guess the photos and boarding passes were enough?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.