Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K-1 EAD and work - Part Deux

Wikiposts

K-1 EAD and work - Part Deux

Old May 23rd 2008, 6:30 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: HPV vaccination

Originally Posted by Knight

I don't assume that you need an EAD to get an SSN, you just need to be in a visa class that is either work authorized or that you have an EAD. The K1 would be the former of the two.
Wanted to put a nodding smiley but there isn't one!
Old May 23rd 2008, 6:53 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TracyTN
I was talking about getting the proof (EAD stamp or card) which is the only way that an employer will see a K1er as work authorized.
Then the employer is ignorant, and needs to be educated.

Ian
Old May 23rd 2008, 6:55 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Then the employer is ignorant, and needs to be educated.

Ian
I agree, Ian. But given how difficult it can be to convince even SSA of their own rules, I shudder to imagine how hard it would be to convince individual employers about it - esp. ones who have no experience whatsoever with immigration matters.
Old May 23rd 2008, 6:59 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that K1s need an EAD to work...
This may seem to be nothing more than semantics, but a K-1 does *not* need an EAD to work. The only reason he needs an EAD is to show proof that he has authorization. It goes back to the word "evidencing".

Ian
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TracyTN
I shudder to imagine how hard it would be to convince individual employers about it - esp. ones who have no experience whatsoever with immigration matters.
Yes, it'll probably be difficult, but not impossible... but until people start educating employers, employers will continue to deny employment to those who are duly authorized to work. Most employers would rather know the correct rules to apply in these sorts of situations... they don't want to get caught up in a federal law suit.

Ian
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:13 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

This may seem to be nothing more than semantics, but a K-1 does *not* need an EAD to work. The only reason he needs an EAD is to show proof that he has authorization. It goes back to the word "evidencing".

Ian
Why? Why don't they?

CFR8.274a.12 says that K1 holders and their children must apply for a document evidencing their work authorization status.

The only documents that apply to a K1/2 that would evidence their status are an (a)(6) stamp from a POE or an (a)(6) category EAD card.

Why don't K1 holders have to have a document evidencing their work authorization status? Which part of the CFR section excempts them from it?

I understand that they can work, but to be able to work they need the evidence. That's how the I-9 works.
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:13 am
Instigator of the Post

Yes, it'll probably be difficult, but not impossible... but until people start educating employers, employers will continue to deny employment to those who are duly authorized to work. Most employers would rather know the correct rules to apply in these sorts of situations... they don't want to get caught up in a federal law suit.

Ian
I never said it would be impossible, nor did I say that no one should try.

What I AM saying is that I don't blame people who would rather wait and get their EVIDENCE of work authorization before applying for jobs. I wouldn't want to start out my relationship with a potential employer by having a possibly awkward exchange with them about their immigration ignorance.

But, horses for courses!
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:15 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I don't assume that you need an EAD to get an SSN, you either need to be in a visa class that is work authorized or that you have an EAD. The K1 would be the former of the two.

You got it!

Read what you wrote. Think about it? What does it tell you?

Simple: K1 have the right to work and SSA knows this. The K-1 holder does NOT need an EAD to prove this. Yea! You are catching on. Now go educate the Department of Labor.
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:19 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You got it!

Read what you wrote. Think about it? What does it tell you?

Simple: K1 have the right to work and SSA knows this. The K-1 holder does NOT need an EAD to prove this. Yea! You have catching on.
It tells me that K1 holders are allowed to work, and because they are allowed to work the SSA will happily give them an SSN. This has nothing to do with them actually getting a job.

Walmart is still going to ask for evidence of your authorization (and CFR says you must get documentary evidence of your authorization to work), even if you have that authorization inherit from your status. If you don't have that evidence, you can't fill out an I-9 and you don't get to stack shelves.
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:26 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ian
I don't see that that has been proven conclusively!

The wording in the CFR is confusing and it seems that even lawyers disagree on how to translate it into English.

There has been no practical, legible definition of 'incident to status' that I've been able to find.
Of course, my motivation for finding it is limited, so I look when and where it pleases me.
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:28 am
Account Closed

That's how the I-9 works.
Really? I have the I-9 right here. Here y'go...

Documents that Establish Both Identity and Employment Eligibility
5. An unexpired foreign passport with an unexpired Arrival-Departure Record, Form I-94, bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien's nonimmigrant status, if that status authorizes the alien to work for the employer.

Seems to me, a passport bearing an I-94 and a K-1 visa fulfills that requirement!

Ian
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:32 am
Twice half his height

5. An unexpired foreign passport with an unexpired Arrival-Departure Record, Form I-94, bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien's nonimmigrant status, if that status authorizes the alien to work for the employer.

Seems to me, a passport bearing an I-94 and a K-1 visa fulfills that requirement!

Ian
But to seek employment you need to apply to USCIS for a document that proves your authorization. You've not done that if all you have is a K1 visa and an I-94 that doesn't have an EAD stamp.
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:33 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ian

Ian
Really? Are you sure?
It has been suggested that "work for THE employer' means a specific listed employer, such as an H-1B or L-1A would have.
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:38 am
Twice half his height

Ian
But to seek employment you need to apply to USCIS for a document that proves your authorization. You've not done that if all you have is a K1 visa and an I-94 that doesn't have an EAD stamp.

The items in List A if I-9 is explained in CFR.274a.2 (Verification of Employment Eligibility)

(A) The following documents, so long as they appear to relate to the individual presenting the document, are acceptable to evidence both identity and employment eligibility:

( 1 ) United States passport (unexpired or expired);

( 2 ) Alien Registration Receipt Card or Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551;

( 3 ) An unexpired foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp;

( 4 ) An unexpired Employment Authorization Document issued by the Immigration And Naturalization Service which contains a photograph, Form I-766; Form I-688, Form I-688A, or Form I-688B;

( 5 ) In the case of a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer incident to status, an unexpired foreign passport with an Arrival-Departure Record, Form I-94, bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien's nonimmigrant status, so long as the period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the Form I-94. (Paragraph (b)(1)(v)(A) Amended 9/20/93 at 58 FR 48775 did not become effective until 3/20/96; 60 FR 14353 ) (Revised effective 10/4/96; 61 FR 46534 ) (Revised 9/30/97; 62 FR 51001 )

That certainly doesn't cover a K1 holder with their unstamped I-94.
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meauxna
Really? Are you sure?
It has been suggested that "work for THE employer' means a specific listed employer, such as an H-1B or L-1A would have.
This is on the I-9... so... presumably, you're filling it out in response to a job offer made by a specific employer. IOW "the employer". This is how my minions and I interpret the I-9... y'all can interpret it differently if you want... but it'll make life more difficult for you!

Ian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.