Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K-1 AOS I-864 questions

K-1 AOS I-864 questions

Old Dec 9th 2008, 5:50 pm
James (UK) and Laura (TX)

LJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really nice
Default K-1 AOS I-864 questions

Going through the AoS forms and going to fill out the Affadavit of support stuff and just had a few questions.

My wife has to fill out an I-864 as she is my sponsor however, we are using her father as a joint-sponsor does he have to fill out a seperate I-864 and I-864A? or are there other forms?

Thanks in advance

James
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 AOS I-864 questions

Originally Posted by LJwedding09
Going through the AoS forms and going to fill out the Affadavit of support stuff and just had a few questions.

My wife has to fill out an I-864 as she is my sponsor however, we are using her father as a joint-sponsor does he have to fill out a seperate I-864 and I-864A? or are there other forms?

Thanks in advance

James
If your wife's father lives in the same household as your wife, he can file an I-864A to have his income included on her I-864 as a contributing household member.

If he lives in a separate household, he will do his own I-864.

Rene
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:04 pm

LJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If your wife's father lives in the same household as your wife, he can file an I-864A to have his income included on her I-864 as a contributing household member.

If he lives in a separate household, he will do his own I-864.

Rene
I assume when they say household they mean a different house (lol) so he'll just fill out a I-864 with no need ror an I-864?

Thx

James
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance

James
Make sure you have read the form first; it might be more clear.

Your wife completes I-864. Mandatory.
Your Joint Sponsor (whoever) completes I-864. If someone from their household will be contributing income (like JS's spouse), that person completes I-864A *with* the JS's I-864.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I assume when they say household they mean a different house (lol) so he'll just fill out a I-864 with no need ror an I-864?

Thx

James
Yes. If dad lives in his own separate house, he fills out an I-864.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes. If dad lives in his own separate house, he fills out an I-864.
I want to point out; "Household Member" can be an optional choice. They do not have to be household members just because they are related, if they are financially independent.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna
I want to point out; "Household Member" can be an optional choice. They do not have to be household members just because they are related, if they are financially independent.
Hey

I think I understand it all now. I was confused on what they were defining as a household.

Thanks all for your help

James
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:54 pm

I think I understand it all now. I was confused on what they were defining as a household.
How Do I Count Household Size?

Your household size includes yourself and the following individuals, no matter where they live:
any spouse, any dependent children under the age of 21, any other dependents listed on your most recent Federal income tax return, all persons being sponsored in this affidavit of support, and any immigrants previously sponsored with a Form I-864 or Form I-864 EZ affidavit of support whom you are still obligated to support.

If necessary to meet the income requirements to be a sponsor, you may include additional relatives (adult children,parents, or siblings) as part of your household size as long as they have the same principle residence as you and promise to use their income and resources in support of the intending immigrant(s).

---
It used to be mandatory to include relatives if you lived in the same house (building) as them, but I think so many people do what you are that it had to be changed to be practical.