Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K-1, already have a SSN from days of yore

K-1, already have a SSN from days of yore

Old Apr 2nd 2001, 9:51 pm
Florian

My USC fiancée and I began our K-1 process several months ago. Last Thursday my
fiancée finally received the approval notice for the I-129F and faxed it to my local
consulate in Helsinki which promptly opened a provisional file and mailed me the
document packet -- an amazing experience after dealing with TSC

However, this weekend when I was trying to explain the process to my mother at a
family gathering, she informed me that I already have a US social security number,
acquired in the 80's when my family spent a year in the States (I was a J-2). So
today I got dad to dig up my old social security card which has my name, my SSN, and
my signature as it appeared when I was thirteen years old It's marked "not valid
for employment".

Now, what are the implications -- is this a good thing or a bad thing? Is having a
SSN going to save me time when applying for an EAD, or is it just going to cause an
extra delay when someone has to go dig up 15-year-old records in another state? Am I
in trouble for stating "none" where it asked for my SSN on the bio form accompanying
the I-129F petition? Should I take this up with my local consulate right away, or at
the interview? Do they care at all? Should I take it up with some other entity
instead, and when?

Your collective wisdom and experience is much appreciated.

Florian

Old Apr 2nd 2001, 11:14 pm
Rete

in message

>
Thursday
    >
it
    >
    >
    >
    >
mother
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
asked
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 3rd 2001, 1:26 am
Richelle Thalgott

Okay, so if I'm reading this right, I should put the SSN that I had this previous
summer on all the forms we fill out for the K-1? I worked in the US on J-1 visa last
summer and was issued a SSN that said something like "temporary alien" on it. (I had
to laugh at that!). I'm not sure where it is right now so I can't say exactly what it
said. Will it be wrong to put "none"?

Tonya

>
have
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
file
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
security
    >
was
    >
    >
    >
Is
    >
just
    >
    >
    >
    >
take
    >
    >
when?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 3rd 2001, 1:59 am
Rete

Yes it is wrong to put none if you have a social security card. Even if you were a
temporary alien the card is good for life. It is never retired so to speak and will
stay with you for your entire life.

Rita

>
    >
US
    >
    >
is
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
    >
    >
why
    >
can
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
    >
    >
faxed
    >
    >
    >
    >
dealing
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
the
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
15-year-old
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
they
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 3rd 2001, 2:23 pm
Jonathan_ATC

You should have used your "old" SSN last time you were here instead of getting a new
one. (You need to talk to your parents more!) Hahaha!

Yes, you use your SSN on all forms where asked.

No, this will not cause them to go looking up records in another state, SSA is
Nationwide.

Yes, it is wrong to put NONE when you DO have an SSN.

Will it speed up the EAD? No, you use the EAD to get the SSN, not visa versa.

No, you should not take this up with your consulate right away. The G-325A has
nothing to do with the consulate. That form goes to INS, not DOS. You SHOULD make it
clear on all further forms and you should make it clear at your consulate interview.

Hope that helps.

--
Jonathan _/ _/ _/ _/ K-1 Fiance Visa Immigration through to Adjustment of Status
http://clik.to/getk1 K-1 & Adjustment of Status Links Page
http://clik.to/K1andAOSLinks Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Arnaldo and Alvena's
Fiance Visa Page http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/ Immigration and Naturalization
Service http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
    >
US
    >
    >
is
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > On all future forms for the INS include the social security number you[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > unearthed. You can explain if necessary at the time of your interview[/usenetquote2]
why
[usenetquote2]> > it was not included on the I-129F. After you get here to the US, you[/usenetquote2]
can
[usenetquote2]> > then go to the SS office and have a new card (same number) issued that allows you[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to work with INS authorization.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Rita[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > | My USC fiancée and I began our K-1 process several months ago. Last[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thursday[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > | my fiancée finally received the approval notice for the I-129F and[/usenetquote2]
faxed
[usenetquote2]> > it[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > | to my local consulate in Helsinki which promptly opened a provisional[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > | and mailed me the document packet -- an amazing experience after[/usenetquote2]
dealing
[usenetquote2]> > | with TSC [/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > |[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > | However, this weekend when I was trying to explain the process to my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > mother[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > | at a family gathering, she informed me that I already have a US social security[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > | number, acquired in the 80's when my family spent a year in[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> > | States (I was a J-2). So today I got dad to dig up my old social[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > | card which has my name, my SSN, and my signature as it appeared when I[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > | thirteen years old It's marked "not valid for employment".[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > | Now, what are the implications -- is this a good thing or a bad thing?[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > | having a SSN going to save me time when applying for an EAD, or is it[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > | going to cause an extra delay when someone has to go dig up[/usenetquote2]
15-year-old
[usenetquote2]> > | records in another state? Am I in trouble for stating "none" where it[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > asked[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > | for my SSN on the bio form accompanying the I-129F petition? Should I[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > | this up with my local consulate right away, or at the interview? Do[/usenetquote2]
they
[usenetquote2]> > | care at all? Should I take it up with some other entity instead, and[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > | Your collective wisdom and experience is much appreciated.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > | Florian[/usenetquote2]

Old Apr 3rd 2001, 3:29 pm
British in Wisconsin

Jememennie is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't really help you, sorry. But yeah, I just wanted to say that I had a SSN too from when I was a student for 4 months on the F1 visa. I wasn't sure whether to mention this on my forms, especially as it was a weird low number compared to my fiancé's. But I did mention it and then included a photocopy and letter of explanation with the I-129F. I thought this might slow down our processing time a little but it didn't. I was assuming that I'd have to get a new SSN as I was thinking the one I have is on the 'alien' database.

Hope things work out for you - Jennie