Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Just wondering about Forms 4 marriage...

Just wondering about Forms 4 marriage...

Old Jun 4th 2004, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

incugirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just wondering about Forms 4 marriage...

HI guys, i'm all new to this and am also new to the board but think it is a very good idea that there is such a board with people going through the same thing.

Anyway... i'll get down to my question here! My and my US Fiance, (i'm from the UK) are planning a wedding next year for either Feb or July 2005. When do you think we should start applying? I have printed copys of forms that i think we need just to start reading over them and been prepared for when he applys for them but iwas just wondering if there is anyone on here who knows about ALL forms needed for this process, in what order they come to you and so on and so forth! The only one I know about are I-129F. So many different web sites have lots of different stuff out there! Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!
Old Jun 4th 2004, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just wondering about Forms 4 marriage...

I assume you're pursuing a K-1 visa. Read the root post FAQ for answers to many of your questions. If you still have questions after reading through the FAQ, please ask then.

Ian

Originally posted by incugirl
HI guys, i'm all new to this and am also new to the board but think it is a very good idea that there is such a board with people going through the same thing.

Anyway... i'll get down to my question here! My and my US Fiance, (i'm from the UK) are planning a wedding next year for either Feb or July 2005. When do you think we should start applying? I have printed copys of forms that i think we need just to start reading over them and been prepared for when he applys for them but iwas just wondering if there is anyone on here who knows about ALL forms needed for this process, in what order they come to you and so on and so forth! The only one I know about are I-129F. So many different web sites have lots of different stuff out there! Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!
Old Jun 4th 2004, 2:15 pm
Eric S.

This web page has a pretty good summary of all the steps and forms needed:

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm

The site also has a lot of other good info about the process.

- Eric S.

"incugirl" <member25221@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > HI guys, i'm all new to this and am also new to the board but think it
    > is a very good idea that there is such a board with people going through
    > the same thing.
    > Anyway... i'll get down to my question here! My and my
    > US Fiance, (i'm from the UK) are planning a wedding next year for either
    > Feb or July 2005. When do you think we should start applying? I have
    > printed copys of forms that i think we need just to start reading over
    > them and been prepared for when he applys for them but iwas just
    > wondering if there is anyone on here who knows about ALL forms needed
    > for this process, in what order they come to you and so on and so forth!
    > The only one I know about are I-129F. So many different web sites have
    > lots of different stuff out there! Any help would be very much
    > appreciated.
    > Cheers!
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 4th 2004, 2:53 pm
Capt. Tuttle

incugirl wrote:
    > HI guys, i'm all new to this and am also new to the board but think it
    > is a very good idea that there is such a board with people going through
    > the same thing.
    >
    > Anyway... i'll get down to my question here! My and my
    > US Fiance, (i'm from the UK) are planning a wedding next year for either
    > Feb or July 2005. When do you think we should start applying? I have
    > printed copys of forms that i think we need just to start reading over
    > them and been prepared for when he applys for them but iwas just
    > wondering if there is anyone on here who knows about ALL forms needed
    > for this process, in what order they come to you and so on and so forth!
    > The only one I know about are I-129F. So many different web sites have
    > lots of different stuff out there! Any help would be very much
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    >
I applied for a K-1 on Feb. 14th, 2003. Our wedding took place on Feb.
14th 2004. You might be able to make the Feb. wedding if you apply
today. We did have a month or two of delay that could have been avoided.
You will have many questions once you apply and a long wait. However,
you will find many helpful people here and much good (and some bad)
information.
Good luck.

Old Jun 4th 2004, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

incugirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, thanx for the infor guys... I'll take a look through all the stuff and anything thing else I'll be sure to ask you. Somebody mentioned about there being alot of questions asked?? What kind of questions?? And who do you send proff of the relationship too? and what kinda proof is needed??

Cheers!

p.s. yes it will be a K1 visa that i'm wanting to apply for!
Old Jun 4th 2004, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by incugirl
Hey, thanx for the infor guys... I'll take a look through all the stuff and anything thing else I'll be sure to ask you. Somebody mentioned about there being alot of questions asked?? What kind of questions?? And who do you send proff of the relationship too? and what kinda proof is needed??

Cheers!

p.s. yes it will be a K1 visa that i'm wanting to apply for!
When the US citizen files the I-129f petition, he/she needs to provide evidence that he/she has met his/her intended in the last 2 years. This could include photographs of the both of you that include the date in the corner of the pic, boarding passes proving you've visited each other's countries, hotel (or other) receipts preferably with both of your names on them to prove you together. You don't have to prove the relationship, just that you have physically met.

All of that proof is sent in with the I-129f form. With the I-129f petition, both of you also need to fill out the G-325a form, and there are some other letters needed - just read the instructions on the I-129 and it will tell you what you need to include.

Later on, after the I-129f is approved, this petition will be sent to the London (since you're a UK cit.) consulate. At this point, your US fiance will need to send you a complete and notarized I-134 Affidavit of Support. The US fiance needs to provide proof that he/she can support their future spouse, so the US fiance must make above a certain amount of income. If he/she does not, you have to get a co-sponsor. So if your future hubby (assuming he's the USC) will need to make at least 125% of the Poverty Guidelines (as given by the Dept. of State) for his household size in order to sponsor you. If he doesn't then he will have to find a co-sponsor. This is something to consider when applying for a K1 visa.

Btw, to give you some idea of a timeline, we got engaged in June 2003, filed the I-129f in Aug 2003, and got married in May 2004. But processing times change constantly and there is no sure fire way of knowing how long the whole thing could take. It's highly suggested that you don't make wedding plans until you have the visa in your hands.

Hope this isn't too confusing for you!

Good luck!
Jamie