Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Just married. Need *help* on Aplication Forms please

Just married. Need *help* on Aplication Forms please

Old Sep 22nd 2001, 11:38 pm
Agent T.

Dear group, I've been posting lots of questions and got such wonderful response.
(keep learning keep learning...one day I'll be the one who answer somebody else's
question too I just got my citizenship certificate last week at the oath ceremony
(It was great! lots of people attended!) and we're now married.

Now I'm preparing documents to submit to the INS for my wife but got stuck. It's a
long post with about 6 questions but please please please ... Please assist me...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[usenetquote2]:::::::: QUESTIONS regards filling in INS forms ::::::::::[/usenetquote2]

Form I-765 [Application for Employment Authorization]
16. Go to Part 2 of the instructions, Eligibility Categories. For example (a)(8),
(c)(17)(iii), etc...

( ) ( ) ( )

***** Q.1) What does she have to put here? The list doesn't seem to have anything
that match her case.She did not enter to US with K-1 Visa, I met her when she's here
(on F-1) and we're now married.(She's still going to school, 5th year) I know that
she can obtain a "working permit" if she's married to a US citizen but what category
is that? (She's now still an F-1 but intend to leave school as soon as all the
documents are filed)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Form I-485 [Application to Register Permanent Resident or Adjust Status] Part 2.
Application Type. (check one)

(a.) an immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant visa number
has been approved. (Attach a copy of the approval notice -- or a relative,
special immigrant juvenille or special immigrant military visa petition field
with thsi application that will give you and immidiately available visa number,
if approved.)

(b.) Other basis of eligibiy. Explain.

***** Q.2) Maybe ... (a.)? Then, what kind of documents does she need to attach
with this application? A marriage certificate? Or Would she pick (h.) and explain
that she's married to a US citizen and filing I-130 in junction with this
application (I-485)?

Part 3. Processing Information.
c. "Nonimmigrant Visa Number" ____________________-

***** Q.3) They asked for a "Nonimmigrant Visa Number" What is this number? Her F-1
Visa number? The Red number on the Visa Stamp?

Form I-130 [Petition for Alien Relative]
d. Information about your alien relative
14. Date authorized stay expired, or will expire, as shown on Form I-94

***** Q.4) Her I-94 stated "F-1 D/S" Should I put the expiration date that shown on
her I-20 instead? Her I-20 shown the expiration date of her stay as "9/23/2003" (She
just renewed her I-20 for a Master Program after she finished with her bachelor)

Form I-864 [Afficavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act] ***** Q.5) What is
the "A-Number" ???

Form 9003 : IRS ***** Q.6) My wife has been working part-time in campus library and
earned $500 per month. Her employer (University) whithold 1. Social Security 2.
Medicare 3. State and 4. Federal which deduct off every paycheck she receives. She
never file 1040NR or 1040EZ before (basicly, never file for tax return because she
thought she's been paying taxes twice a month already) Would this be a big problem?

Thank you so much for your time...

Old Sep 23rd 2001, 12:01 am
Alvena Ferreira

"Agent T." wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
(c)(9)
    >
    >
    >
    >

(d) is the correct choice, which you will verify by filing an I-130 along with the
I-485. They presume that the I-130 is approved immediately because you are a
US citizen.

>
    >

Yes, a copy of the marriage certificate is needed. If you do not submit a certified
copy, have one available at the interview.
    >
    >
    >
    >
Look on her F1 visa, and record the RED number you find on it on the form
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

then put D/S, it's ok to put that.
    >
    >
    >
    >
Put "none", they will assign one at the INS office after you submit the documents.
    >
    >
She never file 1040NR or 1040EZ before
    >
    >
    >
At her income, she was not obligated to file, it should not be an issue. See the
"tourist adjustment" section of the doc steen site for additional info on forms,
there is a page with a table of the forms that has more instructions there that you
may find helpful.

Alvena
--
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice; this is my personal opinion, posted
for the purpose of discussion only.
---
K-1 FAQ: http://www.k1faq.com Jonathan's K-1 pages: http://alixtcat.50megs.com/ Doc
Steen's Marriage Visa Information Pages:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm