Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

The Joy of Vaccinations

The Joy of Vaccinations

Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:19 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Joy of Vaccinations

I went to see my GP last night about getting my TD and MMR booster (I had a TD shot 12 years ago and had never had the MMR), so my arms both hurt like hell, and I feel a bit sick.

That aside, I was looking on the immigrant vaccination chart on the US Embassy in London's website. The chart shows that I need TD and MMR (I am 23).

It then mentions the Varicella vaccination, but states it's not available in the UK. I showed this chart to my doctor and he said it was available, but it involved a blood test first to see if I was immune to chickenpox as I have had it previously.

Has anyone else had to get this as part of their medical examination?

Adam.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:57 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Joy of Vaccinations

Originally Posted by Knight
I went to see my GP last night about getting my TD and MMR booster (I had a TD shot 12 years ago and had never had the MMR), so my arms both hurt like hell, and I feel a bit sick.

That aside, I was looking on the immigrant vaccination chart on the US Embassy in London's website. The chart shows that I need TD and MMR (I am 23).

It then mentions the Varicella vaccination, but states it's not available in the UK. I showed this chart to my doctor and he said it was available, but it involved a blood test first to see if I was immune to chickenpox as I have had it previously.

Adam.
I didn't have any kind of vaccination or testing for this. I, like you, had chickenpox when I was a nipper, but it never came up in conversation, nor have I had the jab since becoming a permanent resident. I don't know if times have changed since then, so hopefully someone who's going through the process right now can answer for sure.

Kate. xxx
Old Jul 5th 2006, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute

I got asked to get it too. Phoned around a few places (civil surgeons) in the US and they want about $45 for it.

I wasn't ever asked to present any info on it and I've got my GC interview appointment now - though I guess they could ask for it then
Old Jul 5th 2006, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

pianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Knight

Adam.

Some time back I did my medical exam in the US. I showed my medical records from childhood and my recent TD shot from my local university - as a result, no shots at all for me, he checked everything as either completed or inappropriate for my age - the medical only cost $85. I guess it depends on how thorough the doctor is. My experience is also that the doctors abroad are more strict - when my parents immigrated to Australia they got every vaccination in the book, and a full medical exam from head to toe from the doctor abroad. Here in the US it was barely 5 min.