Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Joint sponsor RFE - birth certificate but no passport

Joint sponsor RFE - birth certificate but no passport

Old Apr 25th 2023, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

epiphanyuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Joint sponsor RFE - birth certificate but no passport

Hello all. So following the interview we were finally able to find a joint sponsor. I sent the documents to the US embassy, including a copy of the sponsor's birth certificate as proof of US citizenship.

I have now received a RFE via email asking for a copy of the sponsor's passport. However, she does not have a passport, only birth certificate. The I-864 instructions state that there is an option between birth certificate, passport, citizenship certificate or green card as proof.

The birth certificate copy I submitted is clear and legible so I'm at a loss with what is going on here.
Old Apr 25th 2023, 4:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joint sponsor RFE - birth certificate but no passport

Originally Posted by epiphanyuk
Hello all. So following the interview we were finally able to find a joint sponsor. I sent the documents to the US embassy, including a copy of the sponsor's birth certificate as proof of US citizenship.

I have now received a RFE via email asking for a copy of the sponsor's passport. However, she does not have a passport, only birth certificate. The I-864 instructions state that there is an option between birth certificate, passport, citizenship certificate or green card as proof.

The birth certificate copy I submitted is clear and legible so I'm at a loss with what is going on here.
Many people do have a passport, but not everyone, and as you noted, it's not a requirement. Obviously you cannot provide (a copy of) what does not exist, so just write back and tell them the joint sponsor does not have a passport.

Old Apr 25th 2023, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you. Unfortunately, when I replied to the email (from [email protected]) with an explanation, they immediately sent the same request, word for word.

"Please scan and submit a copy of the passport of your joint sponsor to the electronic documents.
Please reply to this email once its complete."

Here is what I sent previous to that...

"Please note that the joint sponsor was only able to provide her birth certificate as proof of US citizenship, which I have attached."
Old Apr 25th 2023, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. Unfortunately, when I replied to the email (from [email protected]) with an explanation, they immediately sent the same request, word for word.

"Please scan and submit a copy of the passport of your joint sponsor to the electronic documents.

"Please note that the joint sponsor was only able to provide her birth certificate as proof of US citizenship, which I have attached."
Presume the joint sponsor was born in the US of legally resident parents (strange question, but you never know...)
Old Apr 25th 2023, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Presume the joint sponsor was born in the US of legally resident parents (strange question, but you never know...)
Yep. Born in Illinois. Both parents down as born in Illinois.
Old Apr 25th 2023, 5:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Your answer to the email implies that the sponsor doesn't have a passport, but doesn't state that they don't. When dealing with visa and immigration matters, and with government departments and businesses in general, you should always state clearly, unambiguously, and precisely what you need them to understand.

"Was only able to provide her birth certificate. " does not necessarily mean the same thing as "does not have a passport". Your reply leaves open the possibility that she couldn't find her passport, that the dog chewed it, etc.

Your reply needs to state, with minimal other wording "The joint sponsor does not have a passport."

If you really want to ram the point home, add "I cannot provide a copy of something that does not exist." .... Which is what I would do.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 25th 2023 at 6:20 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2023, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Your reply needs to state, with minimal other wording "The joint sponsor does not have a passport."
Roger that.

If you really want to ram the point home, add "I cannot provide a copy of something that does not exist." .... Which is what I would do.
I don't know. I don't want to get too cocky. They basically have a big part of my life in their hands.
Old Apr 25th 2023, 6:59 pm

..... I don't know. I don't want to get too cocky. They basically have a big part of my life in their hands.
A fair point. Maybe you're just more patient than me. I am working on that.

Good luck in processing your application to the next stage.
Old Apr 25th 2023, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

A fair point. Maybe you're just more patient than me. I am working on that.

Good luck in processing your application to the next stage.
Thanks mate. I'm increasingly losing patience. It's been keeping me up nights and, in my mind at least, the most frustrating thing about it is I could easily support myself and my wife right now if I was over there. I'll see what hoops I have to jump through tomorrow.
Old Apr 26th 2023, 12:19 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mate. I'm increasingly losing patience. It's been keeping me up nights and, in my mind at least, the most frustrating thing about it is I could easily support myself and my wife right now if I was over there. I'll see what hoops I have to jump through tomorrow.
Some of the US birth certificates I have seen are very basic… my wife’s from NH is the size of a credit card, not the usual long form type… if it was me, despite not being on the list I would get copies of their DL / state ID and take that as well.
Old Apr 26th 2023, 2:17 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Several thoughts.

First, no one here has seen the document you submitted. It may be deficient in some respect.

Second, the general submission portal may have been reviewed by a staff member, not a Consular Officer. If the document submitted is correct, there may be procedures to get the submission examined by a consular officer. When I was in practice, a telephone conversation between the attorney (me) and the ConOff often worked wonders. (On more than one occasion, my specific case lead to change of general staff practices of which the ConOffs had been unaware.)

Good luck.
Old Apr 26th 2023, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
Some of the US birth certificates I have seen are very basic… my wife’s from NH is the size of a credit card, not the usual long form type… if it was me, despite not being on the list I would get copies of their DL / state ID and take that as well.
The one I submitted is the long form type, full letter size with a visible raised seal.
Old Apr 26th 2023, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Several thoughts.

First, no one here has seen the document you submitted. It may be deficient in some respect.

Second, the general submission portal may have been reviewed by a staff member, not a Consular Officer. If the document submitted is correct, there may be procedures to get the submission examined by a consular officer. When I was in practice, a telephone conversation between the attorney (me) and the ConOff often worked wonders. (On more than one occasion, my specific case lead to change of general staff practices of which the ConOffs had been unaware.)

Good luck.
It's a certified abstract of what is on file at the county clerk office, with an embossed seal.

Out of interest, how were you able to get a direct line to the ConOff? Is that something generally granted to attorneys?
Old Apr 26th 2023, 11:45 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

It's a certified abstract of what is on file at the county clerk office, with an embossed seal.

Out of interest, how were you able to get a direct line to the ConOff? Is that something generally granted to attorneys?
So it’s not a birth certificate?

They may be being pedantic, but it could be you have not sent a copy of a birth certificate. Your sponsor should be able to apply for a new one. I got 3 additional ones after my sons were born so I would have some spares for any future use. Does the document you submitted actually say “Birth Certificate” on it and is it printed on special paper or just plain white paper ?
Old Apr 27th 2023, 1:54 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Again, we have not seen the document you submitted. Also, you provide insufficient information.

I am retired and I am not up on current procedures. Access to consular officers can vary a lot. Also, ConOff A may be accessible, but then rotates stateside and replacement ConOff B will be inaccessible. And, yes, telephonic access was for attorneys if it was available. Generally it was necessary to make an appointment via fax, said call to be made at the opening of business before applicants reached the window. Calling European consulates was in the middle of the night Pacific time while calls to Asia was before going home a little late and making the call at the end of my day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.