Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Joint sponsor - residency w/sponsor required?

Joint sponsor - residency w/sponsor required?

Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Draghon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Joint sponsor - residency w/sponsor required?

Hi all, apologies for what may be a dumb question; this is all very new to me. I'm a USC, my husband is UKC, we both currently live in the UK and are looking to move to the US.

I'm confused about the requirements for a joint sponsor. My income is from a British company, so won't count for anything on the I-864. I have family members who could (and would happily) serve as a joint sponsor, but my impression from the application paperwork was that for any of them to qualify, I would have to be in the same residence (ie, move in with whoever was applying as the joint sponsor). Based on the conversations I've read here, though, that doesn't sound like it's the case. If anyone could clarify for me, I'd really appreciate it.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 11:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joint sponsor - residency w/sponsor required?

Hi and Welcome to BE.

No, you do NOT have to live with the Joint Sponsor.

Rene
Old Jun 18th 2013, 12:00 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Draghon
... my impression from the application paperwork was that for any of them to qualify, I would have to be in the same residence...
You must not be reading it correctly. Living with the joint sponsor has never been a requirement. The joint sponsor can be any USC or PR, over age 18, and living in the US... indeed, you don't even need to know the joint sponsor.

Ian
Old Jun 18th 2013, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, apologies for what may be a dumb question; this is all very new to me. I'm a USC, my husband is UKC, we both currently live in the UK and are looking to move to the US.

I'm confused about the requirements for a joint sponsor. My income is from a British company, so won't count for anything on the I-864. I have family members who could (and would happily) serve as a joint sponsor, but my impression from the application paperwork was that for any of them to qualify, I would have to be in the same residence (ie, move in with whoever was applying as the joint sponsor). Based on the conversations I've read here, though, that doesn't sound like it's the case. If anyone could clarify for me, I'd really appreciate it.
I suspect you may be getting mixed up with the requirement of the joint sponsor to have the required income to support all his/her dependents as well as the immigrant and assumed that you must live with the joint sponsor.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 4:07 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I suspect you may be getting mixed up with the requirement of the joint sponsor to have the required income to support all his/her dependents as well as the immigrant and assumed that you must live with the joint sponsor.
Either that, or she's getting mixed up with the requirements for a "contributing household member" rather than a joint sponsor.

Rene
Old Jun 18th 2013, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Draghon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michael
Ahhh, yes, I went back and reread and it looks like that's where I got confused. In any case, very happy to be wrong on that one!
Old Jun 18th 2013, 3:02 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You appear to be confusing a joint sponsor with a [contributing] household member.

Regards, JEff
I'm confused about the requirements for a joint sponsor. My income is from a British company, so won't count for anything on the I-864. I have family members who could (and would happily) serve as a joint sponsor, but my impression from the application paperwork was that for any of them to qualify, I would have to be in the same residence (ie, move in with whoever was applying as the joint sponsor).