Joint Sponsor

Old Oct 11th 2018, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

ledrox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Joint Sponsor

Hi
I am preparing all necessary documents for DCF from London and I will need to use my father in law as joint co-Sponsor for my CR1 application. Thankfully from his tax return it appears he gets enough money to sponsor me although his income comes all from annuities (retirement) and he doesn't have any job. In essence my question is:
Are there any specific requirements on the 'type of of income' to be a co-sponsor for CR1 visa applications?
Led
Old Oct 11th 2018, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joint Sponsor

No
Old Oct 11th 2018, 11:02 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No.

Rene
Old Oct 11th 2018, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

thank you both!
Old Oct 11th 2018, 8:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ledrox
Hi
I am preparing all necessary documents for DCF from London and I will need to use my father in law as joint co-Sponsor for my CR1 application. Thankfully from his tax return it appears he gets enough money to sponsor me although his income comes all from annuities (retirement) and he doesn't have any job. In essence my question is:
Are there any specific requirements on the 'type of of income' to be a co-sponsor for CR1 visa applications?
Led
You will NOT be using your father-in-law as a joint sponsor on your CR-1 application. You are the beneficiary of the desired visa and your wife is the sponsor. She is also the primary sponsor of the I-864 affidavit of support even if she does not have the required income and/or assets and her father can be your joint sponsor if she cannot meet the financial requirements to be sole sponsor on the affidavit.

I don't like to be a nitpicker but terminology is everything when dealing with US immigration.

As for the types of income, it doesn't matter what his profession is if he is using his salary or retirement pension and/social security monthly benefits, and if he is using assets, then it must be the amount needed period salary for a family his size plus you times whatever the criteria is. He must also be living in the US and a US citizen or a US legal permanent resident and in either case provide proof of that status.
Old Oct 12th 2018, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
You will NOT be using your father-in-law as a joint sponsor on your CR-1 application. You are the beneficiary of the desired visa and your wife is the sponsor. She is also the primary sponsor of the I-864 affidavit of support even if she does not have the required income and/or assets and her father can be your joint sponsor if she cannot meet the financial requirements to be sole sponsor on the affidavit.

I don't like to be a nitpicker but terminology is everything when dealing with US immigration.

As for the types of income, it doesn't matter what his profession is if he is using his salary or retirement pension and/social security monthly benefits, and if he is using assets, then it must be the amount needed period salary for a family his size plus you times whatever the criteria is. He must also be living in the US and a US citizen or a US legal permanent resident and in either case provide proof of that status.
Rete
Thank you for the clarification. I will keep in mind what you said.
I will also make sure I have a photocopy of his passport as prove of his US citizenship
Regards
Led
Old Oct 14th 2018, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

lgd500 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to build on this thread (rather than start a new one), I had a quick question on the forms and household size. I am going through this process now as the UKC with my wife as the USC (currently resident with me in UK). We are going to have to use her mother as a joint sponsor.

As far as I can tell we need to do the following. Please correct me if I am wrong
  • My wife fills out the I-864 as the primary sponsor, listing her current income (from UK job, converted to USD) in the required space. She will not have this job when we move but this is still correct?
  • Her mother will also fill out a form as a joint sponsor. She has retirement income etc.
The main questions I have are:
  1. The household size. We will be living with my wife's mother and father in the first instance. On both forms do we take everyone into account (so a household size of 4)?
  2. The form for the joint sponsor. If we assume a household size of 4, my mother-in-law has the required income to joint-sponsor me herself. I think this means she just needs to fill out an I-864 as the I-864A is required if she'd need to use her husbands income also?
  3. Joint-sponsor evidence. This seems relatively straightforward but I assume it is just photocopies of 3-years of tax returns and the bio-page of passport to prove citizenship?
Thanks in advance, this forum has been a lifesaver!
Old Oct 14th 2018, 3:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

At the time your MIL completes the I-864 your wife is not living with them so their family size is 2....the mother and father-in-law and plus 1 .... you ... for a total o 3.

Yes, to your other questions.
Old Oct 15th 2018, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

lgd500 is an unknown quantity at this point

Perfect - thank you for the help Rete!