Wikiposts

IRS tax return copies

Old Dec 18th 2003, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Jay27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IRS tax return copies

I'm preparing the three years of tax returns and other
forms that will be needed for the interview once our
petition is approved and sent over to the embassy.

I have last years tax return, and I'll have this years
when I file next month, but I don't have 2001. I'm
self-employed, so I need three years of returns.

The IRS will send you a transcript within 2 weeks
or an exact photocopy within 60 days. Will they
accept a transcript as proof, or should I pay for
the actual photocopy and wait the 60 days?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 18th 2003, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IRS tax return copies

Exact copies

Originally posted by Jay27
I'm preparing the three years of tax returns and other
forms that will be needed for the interview once our
petition is approved and sent over to the embassy.

I have last years tax return, and I'll have this years
when I file next month, but I don't have 2001. I'm
self-employed, so I need three years of returns.

The IRS will send you a transcript within 2 weeks
or an exact photocopy within 60 days. Will they
accept a transcript as proof, or should I pay for
the actual photocopy and wait the 60 days?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 19th 2003, 5:44 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lpdiver
Exact copies
?

Which Consulate will not accept tax transcripts from the IRS? Forgive me if I've missed that in the past.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 6:58 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by meauxna
?

Which Consulate will not accept tax transcripts from the IRS? Forgive me if I've missed that in the past.

They took my tax transcripts in Casablanca. Of course this was after the conoff tried to cancel my husband's interview by pretending they weren't in there.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 7:00 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Leslie66
They took my tax transcripts in Casablanca. Of course this was after the conoff tried to cancel my husband's interview by pretending they weren't in there.
Corey and I also submitted transcripts (London), and we had no problems.

Kate. xxxxxxx

P.S: Hi, Leslie!
Old Dec 19th 2003, 7:01 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by meauxna
?

You didn't miss anything. Tax transcripts are official documents of the Internal Revenue Department. They are acceptable to the USCIS and the document of choice that they ask for.

How can you have an exact copy if the exact original is no longer in your possession and you can't prove that your copy is exact?

Answer: IRS tax transcript.

Rete
Old Dec 19th 2003, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

I stand corrected, the original poster stated that the IRS offered exact copies. This is an area that I have not researched as I happen to have my tax files. I was under the apparent misunderstanding that Immigrations was as interested in the W-2's as the tax return and that transcripts did not contain w-2's. Point being that they could see if some of your income from the prior years was derived...say from an ex-spouse.

Originally posted by Rete
You didn't miss anything. Tax transcripts are official documents of the Internal Revenue Department. They are acceptable to the USCIS and the document of choice that they ask for.

How can you have an exact copy if the exact original is no longer in your possession and you can't prove that your copy is exact?

Answer: IRS tax transcript.

Rete
Old Dec 19th 2003, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

SugarKane is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lpdiver
I stand corrected, the original poster stated that the IRS offered exact copies. This is an area that I have not researched as I happen to have my tax files. I was under the apparent misunderstanding that Immigrations was as interested in the W-2's as the tax return and that transcripts did not contain w-2's. Point being that they could see if some of your income from the prior years was derived...say from an ex-spouse.
Good point. I'm curious what the answer is to that.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 8:13 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by katesuiter1
Corey and I also submitted transcripts (London), and we had no problems.

Kate. xxxxxxx

P.S: Hi, Leslie!

Hi Kate!!!! I miss you're funny posts. Are you just a busy little bee all the time now?

Leslie
Old Dec 19th 2003, 8:17 am
WTF?

Originally posted by SugarKane

The tax transcripts show your income for the year based on the W-2's that you submitted when you filed.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 8:18 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kate!!!! I miss you're funny posts. Are you just a busy little bee all the time now?

Leslie
Yuh huh! I got a new job at the end of Oct, and my little nose has been to the grindstone!

Kate. xxx
Old Dec 19th 2003, 8:31 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The US Consulate can ask for whatever they wish to ask for. The USCIS, at least from my experience, does not require W-2's but tax transcripts. I've always provided both because I am meticulous in keeping my records and have everything easily assessible .

Rete

PS A self-employed person does not have a W-2
Old Dec 19th 2003, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Of course if you weren't married during those filing years it is a moot point...every case is truly unique.

Old Dec 19th 2003, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

wesleygolf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete
The US Consulate can ask for whatever they wish to ask for. The USCIS, at least from my experience, does not require W-2's but tax transcripts. I've always provided both because I am meticulous in keeping my records and have everything easily assessible .

Rete

PS A self-employed person does not have a W-2
You are so right that a consulate officer can request whatever they want. My fiance was issued and received her visa yesterday at the consulate in Brazil. Some good advice from our experience ( i am self employed too ) is to make SURE you have enough income showing on your latest tax return and your current income is ok. If the 2002 tax return had not met the poverty guidelines, regardless of current income or 2000,2001 tax returns we would not have this visa right now. I promise you that. If you want to know any more about our experience i will be happy to help if i can. Also, for what it worth i was TOLD to make sure and include my 1099's with copies of last 3 years tax returns.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Leslie,

In my case the three years taxes include years in which I was married. IF they don't have the W-2's to determine my contribution then in effect my ex-wife's income could be the basis for financial eligibility. ( I love that idea BTW)

"The HARDER I work the LUCKIER I get" Arnold Palmer

The tax transcripts show your income for the year based on the W-2's that you submitted when you filed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.