IR-1 Question

Old May 2nd 2019, 5:31 am
Just Joined

SeizetheCarp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IR-1 Question

Originally Posted by civilservant
There is not, are simply required to respond within 1 year. If you don't, the application is deemed abandoned. This is trye for every step of the process.
Thank you!
Old Aug 28th 2019, 5:31 am
Just Joined

I'm not sure if it's ok to be "piggy-backing" on my previous questions, but we had our ceremony in the US this month and still haven't filed our I-130, but now I have another question about the affidavit of support (I-864). I know this will be filed after the I-130, but I'm curious what guideline I will need to follow given we live in Hong Kong.
In order to sponsor ourselves, it appears our total value of assets must equal at least 5 times the difference between the household income and 125% of the current poverty guidelines of household size, or 3 times that if a US citizen. As we don't have any income in the US, all our income is generated in Hong Kong, that - to me - means we must provide the entire 3 or 5 times the 125% of poverty guidelines. To me, this reads as we would need to prove we have 3 times rather than 5 as I'm a US citizen living outside the US, or would we need to prove 5 times? The last time I calculated, it would be either $64,000US (3 times poverty guidelines) or $106,000US (5 times poverty guidelines), and this would need to be in our possession once the I-130 is approved and the I-864 is filed. Is this correct?
Thank you!
Old Aug 28th 2019, 10:36 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You need 3 times of assets. It doesn't matter where your assets are derived from. Just convert them to US$. Not sure what you mean by in your possession? They are your assets so of course you own them. If it is real property or retirement savings or the like, they must be able to be able to be made liquid within a year.
Old Aug 29th 2019, 1:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
You need 3 times of assets. It doesn't matter where your assets are derived from. Just convert them to US$. Not sure what you mean by in your possession? They are your assets so of course you own them. If it is real property or retirement savings or the like, they must be able to be able to be made liquid within a year.
Thank you.