Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Introduction and Questions

Introduction and Questions

Old Dec 18th 2015, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Maelstrom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Introduction and Questions

Been stalking the board for quite some time and definitely learning a lot about not only the process but people's experiences.

Had my i130 Petition accepted in August but have delayed until now to progress due to house sale (after being told that in the interview they may not factor in equity) and ensuring i have a court order against my ex-wife for contact with my 2 sons (order number 4) - happy to provide details if it would help someone else!
My current wife is a USC and we've been married for 3 years and always talked about moving to the US, she's originally from Sacramento, CA. Through work I've been given the opportunity to do the same role I'm currently in, as a contractor, in the US as a full time employee in Indianapolis with quite a good renumeration package.
So onto the now, have all my paperwork ready (as of yesterday) and rang to get my medical booked, which is next Wednesday, I had no idea it would be so fast!!

What's the typical gap between the medical and the interview? My Solicitor should be drawing up the affidavit of support and remaining paperwork for the application so I'm assuming everything should be lined up - is the process really this slick???
With a prevailing wind and everything aligning we're hoping to be over there for March (or mid-feb if my wife gets her way!) is that realistic?
Old Dec 18th 2015, 1:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction and Questions

I would say March is realistic, yes.

Rene
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Medical all done, Solicitor has informed me that the DS260 is nearly ready. So now the waiting for the interview date.
The Dr today looked everything over - went through my police cert and didn't seem to think there would be any issues - which is good to know
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maelstrom
Solicitor has informed me...
Is there a reason you're using a solicitor? Do you have an overstay issue or criminal background?

... that the DS260 is nearly ready.
The DS-260 is an online form... not sure how "nearly ready" is an appropriate comment from the guy.

Ian
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Nearly ready was, in their speak, 'ready for review'
With regards to using a solicitor, I don't have over stay issues and have never been convicted of anything, I have a drunk and disorderly from 13 years ago (£80 fine) and an alleged assault, which never happened and I was never charged with. It's more to keep the wife happy that someone is managing the process ;-)
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

It's more to keep the wife happy that someone is managing the process ;-)
Ah, well then... no worries!

Ian
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Was never overly concerned with the d+d and allegations, I'm security cleared and this was all before then. It's a level of assurance to have the solicitor and a safety net...just in case
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

I'm security cleared and this was all before then.
Just so you know, this will carry absolutely no weight whatsoever with US immigration.

It's a level of assurance to have the solicitor and a safety net...
There really is no safety net. Having a solicitor neither hurts nor helps - except that you have someone to blame if something goes wrong. You're still responsible for everything that's submitted whether by you directly or on your behalf.

Ian
Old Dec 25th 2015, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Any reason why you booked your medical before sending in the DS-260?
I had a wait of 4 months and twenty days between sending in my DS-260 and interview date, I'll bet your solicitor won't be working until the New Year now.

Fair play to you heading to Knightsbridge two days before Christmas, that'd be my definition of Hell! Good luck
Old Jan 8th 2016, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Any reason why you booked your medical before sending in the DS-260?
I had a wait of 4 months and twenty days between sending in my DS-260 and interview date, I'll bet your solicitor won't be working until the New Year now.

Fair play to you heading to Knightsbridge two days before Christmas, that'd be my definition of Hell! Good luck
The medical details wouldn't have been sent back until after the xmas break anyway (especially the blood test) so the fact they weren't working over xmas was of little concern.
I think, in hindsight (which is always 20/20) the decision to use a Solicitor was a bad one, especially after we only appointed them after my i-130 had been submitted and the petition approved. A lot of cost for very little value, as it stands.

So my DS-260 has been submitted and Affidavit of Support completed, how do I submit my notice of readiness?

Last edited by Maelstrom; Jan 8th 2016 at 1:05 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Everything submitted now, notice of readiness was done on the 8th Jan, thought i may have had an interview date by now judging by the timeline thread....guess it must be a busy time for them
Old Jan 26th 2016, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

... thought i may have had an interview date by now judging by the timeline thread...
This is why timeline threads are useless.

Ian