Reload this Page >

Intrepreter for AOS interview

Wikiposts

Intrepreter for AOS interview

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 3:25 am
Just Joined

ttlee_99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Intrepreter for AOS interview

On the AOS interview letter, it said during the interview I can't translate for my wife and she can't translate for me. I plan to bring my wife's sister to translate for her just in case. Is this okay? The letter didn't disqualify any family members to be intrepreter.

Thanks.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 5:25 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intrepreter for AOS interview

Originally Posted by ttlee_99
On the AOS interview letter, it said during the interview I can't translate for my wife and she can't translate for me. I plan to bring my wife's sister to translate for her just in case. Is this okay? The letter didn't disqualify any family members to be intrepreter.

Thanks.
Hi,

On our Phoenix USCIS website it says to bring a "disinterested third-party interpreter" if necessary. I wondered about this, too. No one can be a disinterested third party, since it will either be a family member or a friend doing the translating! We have a long way to go till our interview, but I'm interested in the answer as well.

A very long time ago, I translated for my first husband's parents' interview, and it wasn't a problem. I definitely was not a disinitered third party, I was their daughter-in-law!

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 5:35 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.
Hi:

We recommend hiring a professional "interpreter." BTW, there is a difference between "translator" and "interpreter." See if you can find one who does work in the state courts, particularly criminal courts. If you can't find one, call Berlitz. The Immigration Courts contract with Berlitz.

Trust me, it makes things go a LOT easier.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 5:47 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

We recommend hiring a professional "interpreter." BTW, there is a difference between "translator" and "interpreter." See if you can find one who does work in the state courts, particularly criminal courts. If you can't find one, call Berlitz. The Immigration Courts contract with Berlitz.

Trust me, it makes things go a LOT easier.
I"ll bet it's expensive to hire a Farsi interpreter. I should give them a call just to find out. Berlitz contacted me once to hire me as an on-call court interpreter for Farsi! I would have done it, but I couldn't get the daytime hours off work to make the trip to the Florence prison (yikes!). I had to decline the offer. Seems strange I would be hiring someone to do a job for which I'm qualified myself! LOL

Rene
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 6:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I"ll bet it's expensive to hire a Farsi interpreter. I should give them a call just to find out. Berlitz contacted me once to hire me as an on-call court interpreter for Farsi! I would have done it, but I couldn't get the daytime hours off work to make the trip to the Florence prison (yikes!). I had to decline the offer. Seems strange I would be hiring someone to do a job for which I'm qualified myself! LOL

Rene
Hi:

Expensive, but well worth it.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

The AOS letter said:

"If either the petitioner or the beneficiary does not speak English, an interpreter with valid photo identification must accompany you. You may not interpret for each other."

The letter does not disqualify family members.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

The AOS letter said:

"If either the petitioner or the beneficiary does not speak English, an interpreter with valid photo identification must accompany you. You may not interpret for each other."

The letter does not disqualify family members.
Hi:

No, they are not expressly disqualified. However, a paid interpreter is highly recommended.

Last week I had an interview in a complicated I-751 case and a close friend interpreted. He was sitting between me and the client. I repeatedly kept hitting him lightly on the arm with a command "just interpret" -- the DAO appreciated the effort.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 2:20 am

Hi:

No, they are not expressly disqualified. However, a paid interpreter is highly recommended.

Last week I had an interview in a complicated I-751 case and a close friend interpreted. He was sitting between me and the client. I repeatedly kept hitting him lightly on the arm with a command "just interpret" -- the DAO appreciated the effort.
A close friend of yours, or a close friend of the client's? I'm assuming the client's, but your statement is ambiguous.

Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 3:23 am
Account Closed

A close friend of yours, or a close friend of the client's? I'm assuming the client's, but your statement is ambiguous.

Rene
Hi:

A friend of the client. He kept tyring to "explain" what happened and both the DAO and I had to keep reminding him that HE was not a witness. Unfortunately, this is quite common with close friends or family doing the interpretation.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 3:43 am

Hi:

A friend of the client. He kept tyring to "explain" what happened and both the DAO and I had to keep reminding him that HE was not a witness. Unfortunately, this is quite common with close friends or family doing the interpretation.
Yes, I could see that being a problem. Thanks for clarifying.

Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 11:03 am
Just Joined

We had the AOS interview this afternoon at 2 PM in Boston. My wife's sister was the intrepreter. No problem. We were called in around 2 PM and we were done around 2:15 PM. He asked me for the 2003 tax return, marriage certificate and about my work. Then he asked my wife a few questions (Did she get on public assistance? Did she commit any crimes?). That was it. I didn't have to show him any evidence of relationship like bank statements or photos.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 11:08 am

We had the AOS interview this afternoon at 2 PM in Boston. My wife's sister was the intrepreter. No problem. We were called in around 2 PM and we were done around 2:15 PM. He asked me for the 2003 tax return, marriage certificate and about my work. Then he asked my wife a few questions (Did she get on public assistance? Did she commit any crimes?). That was it. I didn't have to show him any evidence of relationship like bank statements or photos.
Congratulations! Did your wife get a stamp in her passport?

Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Congratulations! Did your wife get a stamp in her passport?

Rene
Yes and he said the temp green card will arrive in 6 months.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 4:45 pm
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and he said the temp green card will arrive in 6 months.
Does anyone know why there such a big difference in the time it takes to get the GC? I have heard anywhere from one week to several months. Are they all sent out from the same place or from the local offices or ?

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS on the succcessful interview!!

Marnee
Old Nov 4th 2004, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

mubster is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Intrepreter for AOS interview

ttlee_99, Congratulations! When did you submit your I-485 AOS application to Boston?

Thanks,
Mubster

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.