Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Interview....while pregnant

Wikiposts

Interview....while pregnant

Old Feb 17th 2010, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview....while pregnant

I wouldn't know what to do in this situation either (sorry, not much help) Sounds like you are not going to be entitled to maternity leave? anyway, so would it really be that bad to just wait until they mention it?

It's really your choice sweety, what is your 'gut' telling you? Are you going to be needing to ask for time off for OB appt's? If that is going to be something you need, it might be better to get it in the open...if possible though, that could wait until after your 28 days?
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:08 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
I get my t-shirt tomorrow, and well they are probably going to notice baby bump sooner rather then later.

I think you're right about this, those bright orange shorts and skimpy t-shirts won't hide much.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I think you're right about this, those bright orange shorts and skimpy t-shirts won't hide much.
lol, luckily its plain black trousers and one of their black t-shirts with the logo on it. orange just isnt my colour!

as for the medicade thing, i dont think i can use any of that being a green card holder. We did call some places (well MIL did) and they schedualed me an appointment to go sign up or something then called back and said i wasnt entitled to it.

Unfortunatly there isnt many birthing centeres in missouri, none close by at least to where I live. I looked into that as id heard it was cheaper.

If im right the baby will be entitled to things like medicade. we should be able to apply for financial aid to help pay for the hospital fees. so its just wait and see on those.

its just this damn job stressing me out now and i havent even started! Ive had no sleep and I start work in 2 hours this is not a good start.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Be very careful and research to make sure none of the financial aid you sign up for would be classed as a 'means-tested benefit'. You could probably get the medicaid for the babe no probs (as he/she's a USC), but you, as the mother, may not qualify. From what I've read from other posters, this could vary by state as far as what they would consider a means-tested benefit. You do not want anybody from the government slapping your sponsor for your bill, if you can help it.

Wish I could help with the employment related questions. You're definitely caught between a rock and a hard place. Maybe just wait a few weeks and mention it in passing to someone...if bossman asks, then play it off like you didn't think it mattered, since it wouldn't back in the UK.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Feb 18th 2010 at 1:32 am.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:34 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Be very careful and research to make sure none of the financial aid you sign up for would be classd as a 'means-tested benefit'. You could probably get the medicaid for the babe no probs (as he/she's a USC), but you, as the mother, may not qualify. From what I've read from other posters, this could vary by state as far as what they would consider a means-tested benefit. You do not want anybody from the government slapping your sponsor for your bill, if you can help it.
Indeed, after a comment by another BEer here that is a UKC, but not USC- non USCs do not get Medicaid here in GA. Now as to how all the illegals here in GA get it, damned if I know........
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:15 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Indeed, after a comment by another BEer here that is a UKC, but not USC- non USCs do not get Medicaid here in GA. Now as to how all the illegals here in GA get it, damned if I know........
Same here in CA.
WIC I know doesn't ask for any proof of citizenship, they want proof of income and address, When I used to go with the foster babies we had, it was full of non citizens who had just arrived in the country, this I know as I was a Home visit nurse and had to go by one of the houses to see an elderly lady, the 7 year old used to translate and they don't care who knows they are illegal and when they arrived
The baby's share of the hospital bills and nursery will hopefully be covered by Medicaid
Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Another thought if you are low income enough many states will put pregnant women on medicaid and also include the baby for so long after delivery. Check into your state. the baby counts in size of family for income requirements if I remember right. Also sign up for WIC, help with the food bills for you.
financial sponsor would have to repay that though as it is means tested....
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:27 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes to prenatal care, many of the assumptions we have about means-tested benefits are challenged. Let's not divert PepsiChic from benefits she might be entitled to; here's a start:

http://www.familiesusa.org/assets/pd...e-Programs.pdf
Missouri: All pregnant women, regardless of immigration status, are eligible for outpatient prenatal care.

http://www.nilc.org/immspbs/index.htm

http://www.nccp.org/profiles/MO_profile_33.html
# Lawful permanent residents (LPRs) are generally barred from federal benefits during their first 5 years as LPRs, unless they entered the U.S. before 8/22/96. Exceptions include refugees and U.S. veterans (and their families). See data source for more details.
National Immigration Law Center, Guide to Immigrant Eligibility for Federal Programs, Fourth Edition, 2002; with updates from Update Page, www.nilc.org/pubs/Guide_update.htm (accessed October 17, 2008).

# States have the option of using federal State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) funds to provide prenatal care to women regardless of immigration status. They can also extend prenatal care to immigrant women using state funds.
National Immigration Law Center, Guide to Immigrant Eligibility for Federal Programs, Fourth Edition, 2002; with updates from Update Page, www.nilc.org/pubs/Guide_update.htm (accessed October 17, 2008).

# Figure reflects "Medicaid Eligibles" (i.e., persons enrolled in Medicaid during the year, whether or not they received health care services), whose "Basis of Eligibility" is "Adult"; elderly and blind/disabled are not included. Most eligible adults are either pregnant women or parents (or other caretaker relatives) of Medicaid-eligible children, though a few states use waivers to extend coverage to childless adults. Data are based on states' eligibility and claims data submitted through the Medicaid Statistical Information System (MSIS) (for more information about Medicaid data sources, see http://www.cms.hhs.gov).
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Medicaid Statistical Information System (MSIS) State Summary FY2004, http://www.cms.hhs.gov (accessed August 9, 2007).

http://www.dhss.mo.gov
How do I sign up for WIC?
To be certified to participate in the WIC Program, individuals should visit their nearest WIC agency. To locate an agency nearest you go to http://www.dhss.mo.gov/wic/locations.html or call 1-800-TEL-LINK.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for those links!

I read through the first one, the table and missouri is listed on it as noted, but tat table is dated 2005

the second link led me to more or less the same table but dated 2009 and missouri is no longer listed

http://www.nilc.org/pubs/guideupdate...2009-11-21.pdf

I'll have a look into WIC though.

as for the employment pregnancy thing, well the person i trained with during the nightshift asked if had or was planning to have any children (she was just being a friendly person) she went on to talk about her 3 boys, one of whom also works there etc. Well i figured seeing as she asked Id tell her the truth. I dont plan on lying to anyone.

I told her my fears of loosing the job and she said that the two managers (very nice people) had kept on 2 pregnant girls before without seeming bothered by it and that they wre very understanding people.

so...crossing my fingers, still not sure when to mention it to one of them, maybe next week after i have my next ultrasound on monday.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 12:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for those links!

I read through the first one, the table and missouri is listed on it as noted, but tat table is dated 2005

the second link led me to more or less the same table but dated 2009 and missouri is no longer listed

http://www.nilc.org/pubs/guideupdate...2009-11-21.pdf

I'll have a look into WIC though.
Can I encourage you to dig even a little further? It appears you may even be eligible for federal benefits
Emergency Medicaid (includes labor and delivery)

Full-Scope Medicaid

You are a 'lawfully residing' otherwise ineligible, and when you see PROCUL, I believe that applies to you too, if your AOS is still pending. (I've lost track).
http://www.nilc.org/pubs/guideupdate...-2009-4-01.pdf

Also, this page http://www.nilc.org/pubs/guideupdate...2009-11-21.pdf does not mean that nothing is available to you if your state is not listed; the ones on this list use CHIP funds.

It's all very complicated. You might ask at the hospital if they can connect you with a social worker.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meauxna
Can I encourage you to dig even a little further? It appears you may even be eligible for federal benefits
Emergency Medicaid (includes labor and delivery)

Full-Scope Medicaid

You are a 'lawfully residing' otherwise ineligible, and when you see PROCUL, I believe that applies to you too, if your AOS is still pending. (I've lost track).
http://www.nilc.org/pubs/guideupdate...-2009-4-01.pdf

Also, this page http://www.nilc.org/pubs/guideupdate...2009-11-21.pdf does not mean that nothing is available to you if your state is not listed; the ones on this list use CHIP funds.

It's all very complicated. You might ask at the hospital if they can connect you with a social worker.
Thankyou again for being so helpful, I'll have more of a read tomorrow its been a couple of really long days with all this training to do.

The good news is I went and told my manager about the pregnancy today because i decided after a week of slepless nights of stressing and worrying i should just get it over and done with...the good news is that he doesnt mind, hes a really nice guy so I felt pretty easy to talk to him once i started, he was glad i told him and said i could take all the time i needed off once the baby came.

so im hoping everything will work out for the best now. Its also made my life alot easier, once i told him he said i wasnt to lift any of the large trays any more for carrying food and just to do what i can and if i felt sick or my back hurt to go ahead and take a small break if and when i needed.

That helped because the big trays werent too easy to carry!

I feel like such a big weight is off my shoulders now, and if they let me go during the probational period then i get let go...I'll do my best and i'll be happy that i was honest about everything.

THANKYOU to everyone thats replied in all my threads regarding the pregnancy, and stuff, im still getting my head around the fact that i have a baby growing inside of me! he or she doesnt seem to mind reminding me though with a few kicks every now and then!
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:37 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou again for being so helpful, I'll have more of a read tomorrow its been a couple of really long days with all this training to do.

The good news is I went and told my manager about the pregnancy today because i decided after a week of slepless nights of stressing and worrying i should just get it over and done with...the good news is that he doesnt mind, hes a really nice guy so I felt pretty easy to talk to him once i started, he was glad i told him and said i could take all the time i needed off once the baby came.

so im hoping everything will work out for the best now. Its also made my life alot easier, once i told him he said i wasnt to lift any of the large trays any more for carrying food and just to do what i can and if i felt sick or my back hurt to go ahead and take a small break if and when i needed.

That helped because the big trays werent too easy to carry!

I feel like such a big weight is off my shoulders now, and if they let me go during the probational period then i get let go...I'll do my best and i'll be happy that i was honest about everything.

THANKYOU to everyone thats replied in all my threads regarding the pregnancy, and stuff, im still getting my head around the fact that i have a baby growing inside of me! he or she doesnt seem to mind reminding me though with a few kicks every now and then!
Thats good news Pepsi, its nice to know that there are some decent bosses around still.

I'm sure it will get easier now that stressful situation has gone away.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

What a relief to you! Glad to hear it. Just be sure to work better than everyone else so that they want to have you back after the youngin' is born.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

That's excellent Pepsi
Old Feb 21st 2010, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Thankyou!

I hopefully finish training today, was suppose to finish it last night but the catering manager who does the signing off (certification) got asked to do a last minute catering job for the army so she had to go sort that out. so im up early again *yawn*

i plan to have a lie-in tomorrow before the ultrasound appointment....boy or girl place your bets!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.