Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Interview and travelling on the vwp while visa is being processed.

Interview and travelling on the vwp while visa is being processed.

Old May 4th 2017, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interview and travelling on the vwp while visa is being processed.

Hey because it's looking like I will visit the USA in July and have to come back to England within 90 days so that I can attend my medical interview etc, is it my interview or does my husband have to be with me? Just trying to get a ball point figure on prices and to plan if it's just me flying back or both.

When I arrive in the States do I just explain that we have a visa in process?

Thanks

Kelly
Old May 4th 2017, 8:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview and travelling on the vwp while visa is being processed.

Your USC husband does not have to attend your visa interview.

No need to explain anything at the POE unless you are specifically asked.

Rene
Old May 4th 2017, 9:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elizabethsmum
.... When I arrive in the States do I just explain that we have a visa in process? ....
Just answer any questions, honestly, of course. It is quite possible that you could be asked a trick question i.e. one that they already have the answer to on their screen, so if they ask if you have applied for a visa it is highly likely that they already have the answer in front of them.

Will you be flying into CLT?
Old May 4th 2017, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

As Pulaski says, they will have most of the answers they need in front of them.

I visited while my K1 was at the NVC stage and I was waiting on correspondence from the London Embassy.

It was absolutely fine. He asked why I was visiting, I said to visit my fiancé to do wedding planning. He then asked if we had a visa in progress and if so what stage was it at. I explained we were going through a K1 and that it was at the NVC for processing and he stamped my passport and off I went.
Old May 4th 2017, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

chesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond repute

I will also be visiting on VWP for about a week while my IR-1 is in progress. I have my medical and interview soon after I return.

I will be flying into CLT -- is that significant, Pulaski?

Thanks
CF
Old May 5th 2017, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

I travelled on the VWP while my visa was processing, the CBP obviously has the information available in front of him as he commented that he saw I had a visa in progress.

I flew into DC and LAX with no issues, passport stamped, have a nice day.
Old May 5th 2017, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute

Fab news TY! Yes I will be flying into Charlotte but we have a lay over in Miami first which will be the POE for me

I think once I get the email to give us the interview date I will fly from Jacksonville to London and the same flying back I looked on sky scanner the costs were pretty similar.

Kelly
Old May 5th 2017, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Charlotte is a simple and small enough airport.

I've cleared immigration anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour. Only really met resistance and asked a couple more questions once (out of about 10 entries).
Old May 5th 2017, 4:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Charlotte is a simple and small enough airport.

I've cleared immigration anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour. Only really met resistance and asked a couple more questions once (out of about 10 entries).
Charlotte has a lot more international flights than it used to. Back when it only had a couple of international flights a day I found that the CBP immigration officers could be complete a-holes. The first time I came to the US I got a VERY rough ride from the immigration officer, though I have since realized that, as he didn't send me to secondary, he may just have been yanking my chain.

Given a choice when doing something entirely legal but often considered "iffy", such as coming to the US to get married on a VWP visit, I would still recommended flying into JFK, IAD, or another major airport where IME you can be more-or-less waved through, rather that running the risk of being grilled at CLT.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 5th 2017 at 4:13 am.
Old May 5th 2017, 11:26 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with this, I was never asked so much as a follow up quetion on my multiple arrivals at ATL.