Wikiposts

Interview Tips?!

Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:24 am
Rosie

goteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to all
Default Interview Tips?!

I have my K1 Visa interview and I have a few questions ...

The security is tight - am I best to bring almost nothing along? Do you have to remove all metal like at the airport? I have the kind of piercings which arenot very pleasent to get out ...

Also - what should I wear? A suit or casual or what?!?!

Argh! I am stressed! Anything I should be aware of? Any tips?

My interview is on Thursday. I hope I get my Visa soon, I'm dying to see my fiance!!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview Tips?!

Hi there,

I had my interview in January and I don't believe things have changed much. They don't allow very large bags (such as backpacks) but you can take a smaller one. You can check your mobile/ipod etc. in at the security hut and collect them on your way out. You will have to walk through a metal detector but my jewellery didn't set it off so you should be ok with that.

Dress is very casual. I wore jeans and a t-shirt and almost everyone else there was similarly attired.

The entire experience is quite an anti-climax so please don't worry or stress over it.

Good luck!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Carry a hankie and wear clean underwear. You know, just in case.

What Muffin says.. your jewelry should not be an issue (you should not have to remove that in the airport either, depsite the recent story) and people wear anything from scruffy to suits. We wore business casual (except no hose because it was about 165F outside).

Relax, be yourself and be prepared to be underwhelmed. Oh, and know your fiance's last name (true story from a K-1 interview in Costa Rica recently).

And bring some warm weather, wouldja?! We're freezing up here!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by goteamrosie
I have my K1 Visa interview and I have a few questions ...

The security is tight - am I best to bring almost nothing along? Do you have to remove all metal like at the airport? I have the kind of piercings which arenot very pleasent to get out ...

Also - what should I wear? A suit or casual or what?!?!

Argh! I am stressed! Anything I should be aware of? Any tips?

My interview is on Thursday. I hope I get my Visa soon, I'm dying to see my fiance!!
Hi:

Electronics are a no-no -- phones, crackberries, PDA's etc. Cameras are the biggest no-no on the planet.

Dress -- whatever you feel comfortable in -- I recommend "business casual" attire. If you feel comfortable in a suit, that is fine also. It never hurts to quietly demonstrate respect for the ConOff IMHO.

Answering questions:

1. Tell the truth, it is easier to remember. If you don't know -- say "I don't know." If you don't remember, say "I don't remember." In other words, do not guess.

2. Understand the question being asked. The ConOff may have an accent strange to your ears -- coming through the plate glass. If you don't understand the question asked -- say so! "What's that again, I didn't hear you." "What?" with a puzzled look. The question will be repeated.

3. Most important -- and most often broken -- Answer ONLY the question asked and nothing more. ConOff: Do you know what time it is?" The only correct answers are "Yes" or "No." If you say "10:45," you have broken the rule.

By use of these three rules, you don't have to think or try to get into the ConOff's head. These rules also make the ConOff's job simpler [I've repeated them in front of USCIS examiners, and I've seen Immigration Judges give those instructions for me -- which reinforces the prior instructions I have given].

If you have the ConOff From Hell, and things go south, these rules will often help you avoid digging even a deeper hole.

As a final note -- it is NORMAL to be nervous before the interview. The ConOff will almost expect you to be nervous. But it is like taking a test in school -- you are nervous going in, during the examination you usually just do what you can, and then you walk out.

Good luck.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

mojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud of

I had my interview in March and it was nowhere near as stressful as I had expected it to be ....

Take as little as possible but do take a pen because you will need it to fill out the courier stuff ......

everyone I dealt with were very friendly and didn't seem to be out to "trip me up" ...

Good Luck

Paul
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:10 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mojofilter
I had my interview in March and it was nowhere near as stressful as I had expected it to be ....

Take as little as possible but do take a pen because you will need it to fill out the courier stuff ......

everyone I dealt with were very friendly and didn't seem to be out to "trip me up" ...

Good Luck

Paul
Hi:

Good post. My post just before yours is designed to protect the person against the ConOff From Hell -- they do exist. I will be every happy to hear that her interview was just like yours. Many are.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 7:48 pm
Rosie

goteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to all

Thanks guys this has all been brilliant and helpful advice. I'm dying of excitement! Do you more often then not get the visa on the day? I'm looking at flights ...
Old Apr 8th 2008, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys this has all been brilliant and helpful advice. I'm dying of excitement! Do you more often then not get the visa on the day? I'm looking at flights ...
You definitely won't get the visa on the day of the interview at London. You will need to pay £14 to a courier service at the Embassy and they will deliver it. It takes anywhere between 2 days and a week to arrive.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 12:16 am
Rosie

Okie dokie. Are there any other expenses I should be aware of?
Old Apr 8th 2008, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Okie dokie. Are there any other expenses I should be aware of?
Just the visa itself, which I believe is £131. Good luck.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 12:26 am
Rosie

Hahaha I didn't know you had to pay for the Visa - ooh what a nice suprise! Oh well, who cares. I'm sure he is worth all these expenses. He is deffinately paying for the next million dates!

So you find out on the day weather you have the visa?
Old Apr 8th 2008, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Hahaha I didn't know you had to pay for the Visa - ooh what a nice suprise! Oh well, who cares. I'm sure he is worth all these expenses. He is deffinately paying for the next million dates!

So you find out on the day weather you have the visa?
Yes, they will tell you if it's been approved or not on the day and they will keep your passport if it has. You then give your details and £14 to the courier company and wait for your passport (with visa inside) to arrive at your home or whichever address you want it sent to. Mine took 2 days.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:52 am
TKO
Sweatin' it up in Bama

TKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really nice

Are you flying to London for it?

If so, remember an alternative photo id to your passport to get you on the plane home!

edit: Manchester to London - probably not flying... i'll shush now.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:57 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You will also be sent a brown envelope. DO NOT OPEN IT. It is unsealed you will not be allowed through the POE.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:26 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by English Muffin
Just the visa itself, which I believe is £131. Good luck.
Isn't that price in US dollars? Are there limitations on how one may pay for it at the Consulate? Pounds? USD? Credit card?

Originally Posted by Rete
You will also be sent a brown envelope. DO NOT OPEN IT. It is unsealed you will not be allowed through the POE.

Note for goteamrosie & others: Your packet will come from the courier in an envelope that you may open--inside that is your passport and another *sealed* envelope that says "Do Not Open". Don't open it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.