Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Interview soon and we don't have a joint bank account or bills, what should we do?

Wikiposts

Interview soon and we don't have a joint bank account or bills, what should we do?

Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

CandJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Interview soon and we don't have a joint bank account or bills, what should we do?

Hi, My interview letter came so fast ( only 20 days after mailing AOS) I did not get my EAD card and I did not have a valid ID so we were not able to add me to my hubby bank account and we don't have any joint bills, just insurance, photos, letters, and other such things, what should I do?
Old Sep 7th 2006, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

palgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nice
Default Re: Interview soon and we don't have a joint bank account or bills, what should we do?

Hello,

first of all, out of curiosity, in what part of the country are you? I'm asking because I looked around and the shortest I've seen a 485 processed was about 4 months.... anyway, you must have gotten lucky!

You say you dont have a valid ID... how is that possible? what about DL or passport? you MUST have one of those.....how did you get in the country otherwise? I opened a Bank of America account 5 years ago and all I needed was my foreign passport.

Either way, if you have other documentation showing a legit relationship, and you have a good reason why you did not open a joint account, I don't think you should have major problems.

Good luck!

John

PS. how far in advance did you receive the interview letter? (meaning between the day you received the letter and the day the interview is scheduled)
Old Sep 7th 2006, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview soon and we don't have a joint bank account or bills, what should we do

Well, I guess the only thing you can do is bring what you do have, and hope for the best. If you haven't been married for very long, they should be understanding of your relative lack of evidence of a married life.

P.S. Which district office did you file with? I'd like to know where in the US it is *that* fast! Lucky ducks.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 3:00 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Interview soon and we don't have a joint bank account or bills, what should we do

Originally Posted by CandJ
Hi, My interview letter came so fast ( only 20 days after mailing AOS) I did not get my EAD card and I did not have a valid ID so we were not able to add me to my hubby bank account and we don't have any joint bills, just insurance, photos, letters, and other such things, what should I do?
Hi:

Attend the interview.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Hi, I live in Phoenix, and I got my letter from the Natinal Benefits Center in Missouri....

Originally Posted by hcj1440
Well, I guess the only thing you can do is bring what you do have, and hope for the best. If you haven't been married for very long, they should be understanding of your relative lack of evidence of a married life.

P.S. Which district office did you file with? I'd like to know where in the US it is *that* fast! Lucky ducks.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 6:20 pm
Nilda

Default Re: Interview soon and we don't have a joint bank account or bills, what should we do?

I wont blame you if you're worried sick... I was like that from the time we got our interview notice. I had my interview last week and it went out really well. If you will be lucky and ofcourse depending on who will going to interview you... the interviewer might not even asked for any evidence at all just like what happenned to me. But just the same its better to be ready.

Bring all the documents you have any proof that you're living together...mails even junk with both of you or either of you in it might help too. There are some state that you cannot open an account without a Social Security Number... there are some you can. I live now in Washington and even I have an account in Bank of America that I opened in California... Bank of America here in WA didnt allow me and my husband to open a new one. What I did is I called my branch in California and added my husband instead there. They just asked me to send in his ID and our signature card plus the marriage contract and presto we have a joint account already. In the end the Interviewer didnt even look at it.

You will need a valid ID for your interview... A Passport or a State ID.

You can try to ask your husband to add you in his Car Insurance and its free, Try also the home insurance. And asked both insurance to send you a confirmation letter or if its too late most of the insurance company have a web site where in you can print your insurance details and changes that may help too.

Pictures of your wedding and with both of you or friends or family.

Most of the Interview Place have cameras... Just show them how sweet and close are you and your husband with each other.

Goodluck... Evrything will be okay.

God Bless

---
posted via:
http://www.visaforyou.org/eng/

Old Sep 7th 2006, 6:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I live in Phoenix, and I got my letter from the Natinal Benefits Center in Missouri....
OMG! Phoenix? 20 days from filing AOS to getting the interview letter?! Wow, congratulations! When is your interview?

Just bring whatever you do have to show a joint life. Any junk mail addressed to both of you (even different pieces of mail with the same address), pictures together, etc. If your interview is scheduled a couple of months away (like ours was), that will give you some time to get your name on things if you want to. I added my alien husband's name to all my utility bills without needing his ID or SSN. He was able to get added to my existing bank account and open his own checking account at Wells Fargo, again with just his passport and no SSN. I added him to my health and dental insurance, and put him down as my beneficiary for life insurance and 401K, all without his SSN.

You guys are lucky...in 2004 when we filed AOS in Phoenix, it took us 11 months to get the interview letter!

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 7th 2006, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
OMG! Phoenix? 20 days from filing AOS to getting the interview letter?! Wow, congratulations! When is your interview?

Just bring whatever you do have to show a joint life. Any junk mail addressed to both of you (even different pieces of mail with the same address), pictures together, etc. If your interview is scheduled a couple of months away (like ours was), that will give you some time to get your name on things if you want to. I added my alien husband's name to all my utility bills without needing his ID or SSN. He was able to get added to my existing bank account and open his own checking account at Wells Fargo, again with just his passport and no SSN. I added him to my health and dental insurance, and put him down as my beneficiary for life insurance and 401K, all without his SSN.

You guys are lucky...in 2004 when we filed AOS in Phoenix, it took us 11 months to get the interview letter!

Best Wishes,
Rene
Hi:

I'm wondering is the OP just got the biometrics appointment. This is on second thought.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 12:46 am
Mel And Sharon

Joint bank accounts or joint bills are not required to show a valid
relationship. We had neither and our AOS interview was no problem.
Just provide whatever proof you have. If you're concerned, get
affidavits from people who know you as a couple.

Sharon & Mel

CandJ wrote:
    > Hi, My interview letter came so fast ( only 20 days after mailing AOS) I
    > did not get my EAD card and I did not have a valid ID so we were not
    > able to add me to my hubby bank account and we don't have any joint
    > bills, just insurance, photos, letters, and other such things, what
    > should I do?
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:36 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Interview soon and we don't have a joint bank account or bills, what should we do

Hello everyone and thanks for the advice , our interview is on 10/17 at 2 pm...

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 8th 2006, 5:10 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I'm wondering is the OP just got the biometrics appointment. This is on second thought.
Good thought; past posts say otherwise tho. Wild!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394942
Set 5 2006
Interview letter 4 weeks after filling in Phoenix!
Hey Everyone, I had my biometric appointment today in Phoenix, which when well, and I just check my mail and I got my letter for my interview for October 17,( I only filed my AOS on Aug 14) I had no clue that things we moving so fast I only filed about 4 weeks ago, is that normal?
Old Sep 11th 2006, 4:47 pm
kimilseung

There are some state that you cannot open an account without a Social
Security Number... there are some you can. I live now in Washington
and even I have an account in Bank of America that I opened in
California...

I got an account with Bank of America in Washington (Ballard, Seattle)
about a year ago....no social security number.
I thought it was the same in all states, you have to provide it if you
have one, but ok if you do not have one. wasnt this part of the patriot
act ?

Old Oct 17th 2006, 5:44 am
Just Joined

meinfl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone and thanks for the advice , our interview is on 10/17 at 2 pm...

How funny. It is 10/17 and it is 1:48pm and I just came accross this post.
I bet she is there now.... GOOD LUCK !!! Hope everything is going well...
Old Oct 17th 2006, 6:35 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

We didn't have any joint bills. The only document that showed both our names was my auto innsurance. We just took bills, letters, any correspondence addressed to our home to the interview. It didn't matter that they were addressed individually, they all had the same address.
Attend the interview and don't worry. I am sure what you have will be enough.

Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

No it is not part of the patriot act. I was told that by my credit union. It is not true. I printed it out and read it.

The patriot act requires that a CIS be established. CIS stands for Customer Identification System and the patriot actually goes so far as to say that a passport from another country is acceptable for a CIS.

I informed my credit union of this and they added my wife to my account.

tony

Originally Posted by kimilseung
There are some state that you cannot open an account without a Social
Security Number... there are some you can. I live now in Washington
and even I have an account in Bank of America that I opened in
California...

I got an account with Bank of America in Washington (Ballard, Seattle)
about a year ago....no social security number.
I thought it was the same in all states, you have to provide it if you
have one, but ok if you do not have one. wasnt this part of the patriot
act ?