Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Interview next month... a few questions

Interview next month... a few questions

Old Jun 19th 2006, 8:50 pm
Cw

Default Interview next month... a few questions

We got the letter for our interview date. I like to be prepared with all the papers necessary. However, there are a few elements that I am confused about.

-- Regarding criminal history. My wife, nor I have any criminal background. I am a USC, she is a German citizen. Do we need to bring papers stating that we have no criminal background?? If so, what is acceptable?

-- Next, they ask for evidence that we are a legitimate couple. We have a bank account in Germany and here in the US that is in both of our names. We also have our rent agreement from Germany in both of our names. Do I really need to have these documents translated?? The rent agreement is quite lengthy. Will it be enough to just see our names on these documents?

Are there any other tips or suggestions??

I'm sure glad I found this forum. Thanks..

---
posted via:
http://www.visaforyou.org/eng/

Old Jun 19th 2006, 9:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview next month... a few questions

Originally Posted by Cw
We got the letter for our interview date. I like to be prepared with all the papers necessary. However, there are a few elements that I am confused about.

-- Regarding criminal history. My wife, nor I have any criminal background. I am a USC, she is a German citizen. Do we need to bring papers stating that we have no criminal background?? If so, what is acceptable?

-- Next, they ask for evidence that we are a legitimate couple. We have a bank account in Germany and here in the US that is in both of our names. We also have our rent agreement from Germany in both of our names. Do I really need to have these documents translated?? The rent agreement is quite lengthy. Will it be enough to just see our names on these documents?

Are there any other tips or suggestions??

I'm sure glad I found this forum. Thanks..

---
posted via:
First of all, what is this interview for? Her Immigrant Visa to the USA? Where are you both living now? In Germany or the USA?

Is the interview your AOS interview here in the USA, if you are both here now?

That would help clarify what you would need to bring to the interview.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 19th 2006, 10:18 pm
Kat

I am not sure about your criminal background for my they did the
background check themselves but I am sure there are different visas
that could require it but not knowing what process your wife an
yourself are going through I can't say. Any documents that aren't in
english I was advised would have to be translated into English so I
would suggest getting the rental agreement translated. Just seeing
your names on the documents doesnt show a legitimate marriage. I would
think you would need more documents then just a couple bank statements
an rental agreement in english. I showed alot more evidence but I may
have over done it but it was better to be safe then sorry. Good Luck
with your interview

Old Jun 19th 2006, 11:23 pm
Tisha

CW wrote:
    > We got the letter for our interview date. I like to be prepared with all the papers necessary. However, there are a few elements that I am confused about.
    > -- Regarding criminal history. My wife, nor I have any criminal background. I am a USC, she is a German citizen. Do we need to bring papers stating that we have no criminal background?? If so, what is acceptable?
    > -- Next, they ask for evidence that we are a legitimate couple. We have a bank account in Germany and here in the US that is in both of our names. We also have our rent agreement from Germany in both of our names. Do I really need to have these documents translated?? The rent agreement is quite lengthy. Will it be enough to just see our names on these documents?
    > Are there any other tips or suggestions??
    > I'm sure glad I found this forum. Thanks..
    >
    > ---
    > posted via:
    > http://www.visaforyou.org/eng/

Old Jun 19th 2006, 11:24 pm
Tisha

CW wrote:
    > We got the letter for our interview date. I like to be prepared with all the papers necessary. However, there are a few elements that I am confused about.
    > -- Regarding criminal history. My wife, nor I have any criminal background. I am a USC, she is a German citizen. Do we need to bring papers stating that we have no criminal background?? If so, what is acceptable?
    > -- Next, they ask for evidence that we are a legitimate couple. We have a bank account in Germany and here in the US that is in both of our names. We also have our rent agreement from Germany in both of our names. Do I really need to have these documents translated?? The rent agreement is quite lengthy. Will it be enough to just see our names on these documents?
    > Are there any other tips or suggestions??
    > I'm sure glad I found this forum. Thanks..
    > ---
    > posted via:
    > http://www.visaforyou.org/eng/

I had an interview recently, and yes they do check the criminal
backgrounds, on both the spouse and the USC.

Old Jun 20th 2006, 1:56 am
Cw

I'm sorry I didn't give all the details. I forget there are so many different circumstances with which people deal with the USCIS.

We both live here in the states. We married here in the states. We are having the interview for AOS. We received a "Request For Applicant To Appear For Initial Interview".

As I said, neither of us have a criminal background. Neither of us have been arrested or charged with a crime. Do I need to bring some sort of document that says I have no criminal background. I realize they are going to do this, but I wasn't sure if I needed to bring something stating neither of us have a criminal background.

For myself it would be easy to bring a document with my criminal background. But for my wife, such a document would have to come from Germany and be translated.

As for evidence, we have a lot more than our bank accounts from our joint bank accounts here and in Germany. I was just wondering about getting our rent contract translated. I may just see if the apartment rental company could write a letter simply stating we shared an apartment and lived together.
Thanks for the responses.

Old Jun 20th 2006, 3:19 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cw
As I said, neither of us have a criminal background. Neither of us have been arrested or charged with a crime. Do I need to bring some sort of document that says I have no criminal background. I realize they are going to do this, but I wasn't sure if I needed to bring something stating neither of us have a criminal background.
No, I don't believe any police reports are necessary for the AOS interview. USCIS conducts their own checks, and I don't think either of you needs to provide anything else.

As for evidence, we have a lot more than our bank accounts from our joint bank accounts here and in Germany. I was just wondering about getting our rent contract translated. I may just see if the apartment rental company could write a letter simply stating we shared an apartment and lived together.
Thanks for the responses.
Hmmm...I think I would try to show more of your joint life here in the USA rather than what you have in Germany. You are, after all, trying to show you live together here in the USA. I would use USA bank statements, and USA evidence.

I'm a little confused, though...you are wanting to get the rental contract from Germany translated that says you lived together in Germany? That must have been before you got married here in the states, right? I would tend to bring more evidence of your current life together, rather than whatever you had in Germany. That said, if you do decide to use any document in a foreign language, then yes, definitely have it translated to English.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 20th 2006, 3:27 am
Kat

CW your not very clear on alot of the stuff you write. You state your
married here in the US but you didnt say whether your wife came over as
a visitor an then you got married or you are applying as she came in on
a fiance visa. The criminal checks are usually done by USCIS when your
wife does her fingerprints that is part process. When you said your
got alot more evidence besides the joint bank accounts here aswell as
Germany. As for getting your apartment rental company to write a
letter is your choice but I have a friend who was personally told by
USCIS that they wouldnt accept her letter as anyone could write a
letter an state they lived somewhere. The lease is a contract.
Goodluck in whatever you decided what to do.

Old Jun 20th 2006, 1:22 pm
Cw

Once again, I apologize for not giving all the information. We met here in the states, lived in Germany for several years then returned to the states. She entered legally. Then we we got married here in the states.

I want to show our past together because I don't want it to seem we've been together for only a few days and decided to get married. I wanted to show we have a history together. Unfortunately her car is in her name, my car is in my name.

What else would be would be good evidence? .

---
posted via:

Old Jun 20th 2006, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Cw
What else would be would be good evidence?
For example:

joint banking
joint car insurance
joint health insurance
joint memberships to a club
joint utility bills
joint lease or rental agreement
joint ownership of property such as a house
joint loans such as mortgage
joint credit cards
anything that shows both your names at the same address
card, letters, invitations, etc addressed to both of you at your address
pictures together
proof of trips taken together
proof of one or the other being a beneficiary of e insurance, 401K plan, retirement plan, etc.
powers of attorney for each other, or wills

Those are a few of the things I can think of off the top of my head. I still am not quite sure showing so much history is relevant...not a bad idea, but the majority of evidence should be current, I would think. USCIS is basing their decision based on your marriage, so I think most of the evidence would support the life you share after your marriage here in the USA. How long have you been married and living in the USA?

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 20th 2006, 3:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cw
Once again, I apologize for not giving all the information. We met here in the states, lived in Germany for several years then returned to the states. She entered legally. Then we we got married here in the states.

I want to show our past together because I don't want it to seem we've been together for only a few days and decided to get married. I wanted to show we have a history together. Unfortunately her car is in her name, my car is in my name.

---
posted via:
If you want to use your foreign documents, they will have to be translated. You don't have to have it done professionally; it can be done by someone fluent in both languages who is willing to swear that they are.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

chiguedna has a brilliant futurechiguedna has a brilliant futurechiguedna has a brilliant futurechiguedna has a brilliant futurechiguedna has a brilliant futurechiguedna has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Cw

---
posted via:
A note of caution. You don't say what "She entered legally" means. If she entered on VWP or B2 and you then got married, be careful. If you provide a lot of evidence of living together in Germany and then coming to the US and getting married, you may be setting yourself up to be accused of entering with the intent to marry, which could trigger a denial if she came on VWP or B2. If on the other hand she came on a K1 (fiance visa) or married in US filed I-130 and went back for the K3, then no problem.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 4:38 pm
Kat

You have to provide evidence for here in the US aswell. Try stuff like
your Car Insurance.....Medical Insurance.....do you have a lease for
where you live in the US....bank statements in the US....letter from
your church if you attend....alot of it is common sense stuff.
Anything that shows you TOGETHER here in the US.

Old Jun 20th 2006, 5:22 pm
Cw

Thanks for all the great ideas. I forgot that we were joint on a few of the things mentioned like health insurance.

Also thanks for letting me know about the translation. I thought that all the tranlsations had to be certified. My wife is fluent in German and English and could easily translate the documents.

She did come in on a VWP. I'll be sure to take that into account. Thanks for everyones help..

---
posted via:

Old Jun 20th 2006, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cw
She entered legally. Then we we got married here in the states. I want to show our past together because I don't want it to seem we've been together for only a few days and decided to get married.
The last of these 3 sentences might cause you some issues. So... she entered on the VW and then she got married and now she's staying in the US to adjust her status. Is that correct? Did she intend to stay and adjust status when she entered the US? You know that's illegal, right? If she did, brace yourself for a rocky ride through immigration.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.