Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Interview experience in Peru-Long

Interview experience in Peru-Long

Old Apr 29th 2004, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

WiAnSiempre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interview experience in Peru-Long

Here are the details of my trip and the interview experience. I decided to go to the interview with William. It turns out I'm very glad I did. Interview was on Thursday 4/15. We arrived at 7:30am and were let right in. There were a lot of people there for Visitor Visa's but they were all in a different section. About an hour after we got there, they called a list of names. We went up to the window and the woman asked if he paid the Visa fee ($100) and if he had his medical results and passport. We said yes. Then she told us to sit back down. We waited another 3 hours. Finally we were called up to the window again. This is when the interview starts. She asked for all the paperwork and evidence, etc. Then she started asking questions. She actually asked me more questions than him.

When did we meet?
How many times had I visited him?
Did I know his family?
When was my father in Peru? (I met William through my father)
How long was my father in Peru?

Then she looked at all the evidence, pictures, emails, etc. Then we sat back down for another hour or so. We were called to another window. The lady there had William raise his right hand and swear that everything being said was true. They also had an electronic fingerprint machine where they took his finger prints. We thought we were good and he was going to get his visa, but the lady handed us a pink slip of paper that said they needed an additional form from the Police station called Adjiciales Ligales (This is separate and different from the Police Certificate).

We were quite upset and confused, but left to go get this form. We went to the Police station and they told us we had to go to the bank to pay a fee for this form. So we left and went to the bank. Then returned to the Police station and they said they only process these forms from 8 -10:00am in the mornings. So we left. There was nothing else we could do that day. The next morning, Friday, William got up early and went to the Police station and got the paper, then he went to the embassy. By that time it was 11:00am and the embassy would not let him in. They said they only let people in at 8:00 in the mornings. So he returned to where we were staying. I decided to go see if I could get in to the embassy, but by the time we returned the Consular section was closed.

Since I was due to fly back to the US the following Tuesday, we decided to go ahead and take the 8 hour bus ride to his home town Friday night. We arrived Sat. morning and packed all his stuff and left to return to Lima Sunday night. We arrived in Lima Monday morning and went straight to the embassy. They let us in this time. After waiting about 2 hours, they called us to the window and we gave them the form. The lady said "This is not the right paper" We said "What? We got exactly what you wrote down for us to get" She said "Oh, that was our mistake then, we need a different paper called Adjuciales Penales". So, there was nothing we could do but leave again very frustrated. We then went back to the Police station, but had to first go back to the bank to pay another fee for this other form. Waited about 3 hours at the Police station and he was able to get this paper that afternoon on Monday.

We are starting to panick by this time because I'm leaving the next night. Anyway, then we returned to the embassy early Tuesday morning. After waiting about 1 hour they called us to the window and we gave them the paper. They said "Yes, this is the right one" "You should be all set now, just sit down and wait for the Consular to call you" So we waited another 3 hours. Finally they called us up to the window. She had his passport and she wrote some stuff on his papers, then handed us a slip of paper to return for his Visa on Thursday afternoon. Ahhh! I asked her if there was any way we could pick his Visa up this afternoon as we were due to fly out this evening. She said "Oh, yes, that would be fine" and she changed the date on the little piece of paper. Wheww! I'm glad I asked.

Then we ran to buy his plane ticket, which luckily they still had space on that flight. We returned to the embassy in the afternoon and they gave him his Passport with the Visa and his Brown envelope.

Then we headed to the airport with all his luggage and very very relieved that everything came together in the last hour!

For those going through Peru, there was another girl there for a fiance Visa and they would not give her the Visa until her US Fiance came to talk to them. This is the 3rd time I've heard of this happening recently. You may want to plan on being at the interview with your fiance even though they tell you you don't have to be.

Thanks and I hope this helps others going through Peru.

Angela
Old Apr 29th 2004, 4:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview experience in Peru-Long

Wow, Angela! What a hassle! That's worse than Ankara! But I'm so glad it all worked out in the end, and at the last minute you guys could come home together.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 30th 2004, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

theangells is an unknown quantity at this point

CONGRATULATIONS !! That must be very stressful for both of you... wish you all the best for upcoming wedding day !!
Old Apr 30th 2004, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Me - Illinois, USA / Husband - Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Michi is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, I can't believe how many times they made you go back and forth. How ridiculous, I would have been so upset, but oh well, the important thing is that he got his visa!! Amazing that it all worked out and he was able to make the trip back home with you. Great news!

Lily,
Old May 14th 2004, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

imburnsey is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats.
My wife will soon be interveiwed in Peru. You have provided very helpful information. I sent her to the bank to obtain the form you had noted. The bank asked if the form was for Peru or for a different country. Apparantly it is the same form for any country only with a different heading and a huge price differance. Was the form needed to be used for Peru or the U.S.?
I have a second question; I have read here that new procedures are coming regarding the affidavit of support. Transcripts are soon to be required. Were transcripts required in Peru? A second part to that question is this; I called the IRS and they offer three different transcripts. They claim form 1722 is used for immigration. However when looking at form 1722 it is missing line 22 gross income. This form displays adjusted income only. Under section 213a in the FAQ no 18 it says line 22 of 1040 gross income is to be used. So, if you were required to have transcripts, which ones did you use?