Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Interview BEFORE recieving EAD work card??

Wikiposts

Interview BEFORE recieving EAD work card??

Old Mar 4th 2010, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Johnny5isAlive is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Interview BEFORE recieving EAD work card??

As for both notices, I recieved a letter informing me that there was an error and to come to the first one.

I recieved my work card yesterday so i applied for a social security number.. Now do i have to wait for it to come in the maul or can i find out what is is so i can open a bank account and possibly get a job

thanks in advance

J5
Old Mar 4th 2010, 1:30 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnny5isAlive
... can i find out what is is so i can open a bank account and possibly get a job
You don't need a SSN to open a bank account... or to get a job. You could have looked for work the day you filed for AOS. You could have gone to job interviews. You could even have accepted employment. The only thing you can't do without an EAD (other than actually working) is sign any papers with the company that hires you.

Ian
Old Mar 4th 2010, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You don't need a SSN to open a bank account... or to get a job. You could have looked for work the day you filed for AOS. You could have gone to job interviews. You could even have accepted employment. The only thing you can't do without an EAD (other than actually working) is sign any papers with the company that hires you.

Ian
PNC said not without a SSN... As for the Job I already have one lined up.. A few options in fact
Old Mar 4th 2010, 2:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

As for both notices, I recieved a letter informing me that there was an error and to come to the first one.

I recieved my work card yesterday so i applied for a social security number.. Now do i have to wait for it to come in the maul or can i find out what is is so i can open a bank account and possibly get a job

thanks in advance

J5
I believe you can go back to the SS office in person to obtain the SS number (not the physical card). Then at least you will know the number and can use it to fill out paperwork...but if anyone needs to see the physical SS card, then they'll have to wait until it comes in the mail.

Rene
Old Mar 4th 2010, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I believe you can go back to the SS office in person to obtain the SS number (not the physical card). Then at least you will know the number and can use it to fill out paperwork...but if anyone needs to see the physical SS card, then they'll have to wait until it comes in the mail.

Rene
Thanks for the tip, Just called them back again. Apparently it is different in every office. Unfortunately for me this office's policy is to not give the number out. I have to wait til it it arrives in the post
Old Mar 4th 2010, 3:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tip, Just called them back again. Apparently it is different in every office. Unfortunately for me this office's policy is to not give the number out. I have to wait til it it arrives in the post
They won't give it to you over the phone. You have to show up in person and show ID to get the number.

It is probably not different in every office, but just depends on who you speak to. If the office is close by, stop in and ask in person.

Rene
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:10 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

PNC said not without a SSN... As for the Job I already have one lined up.. A few options in fact
Look up form I-9 and see what you need to complete the hiring process.
You'll probably have to wait a couple/few weeks yet for your SSN physical card.

Other banks will open an account without a SSN.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:56 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

PNC said not without a SSN...
I'm sure they did, and it may be their policy... but it's not a legal requirement.

Ian