Wikiposts

Interim EAD :)

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 5:25 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally posted by Noorah101
Hi Patrick

It seems for K1's, it's a 1-year EAD. For K3's it's starting to be a 2-year EAD. I don't know what it is if you have adjusted from some other method, but I am guessing 1-year.

Rene
I really think that at the interview I would be RAPIDLY brushing over my 3 month EAD and convincing the employer that it is only a technicality, most US companies are really not very aware of immigration policies so I would think one could get around that question at the interview.
Would sure hope that I get at least a 1 year EAD, after not working for so long employers will have enough questions without a problem with how long I can actually work for them.. Maybe Best Buy here I come , still would be a start. Not even sure how my Irish qualifications will go here (computer background both precision engineering and IT tech qualifications but might be none that will be recognised here)
Patrick
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 5:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by inquisitive40
I really think that at the interview I would be RAPIDLY brushing over my 3 month EAD and convincing the employer that it is only a technicality, most US companies are really not very aware of immigration policies so I would think one could get around that question at the interview.
Would sure hope that I get at least a 1 year EAD, after not working for so long employers will have enough questions without a problem with how long I can actually work for them.. Maybe Best Buy here I come , still would be a start. Not even sure how my Irish qualifications will go here (computer background both precision engineering and IT tech qualifications but might be none that will be recognised here)
Patrick
The world-wide engineering company I work for once had an employee from India (not sure what visa, but he was a student and then when he graduated he started working for us). Anyway, they company alerted him one day that his employment authorization had run out and until the company could renew it, he had to take time off - vacation time or unpaid. He was forced off for about a month until they got it straightened out. So in my company's case, THEY kept track of things! A smaller company might not do that, though.

Rene
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 1:30 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally posted by Noorah101
The world-wide engineering company I work for once had an employee from India (not sure what visa, but he was a student and then when he graduated he started working for us). Anyway, they company alerted him one day that his employment authorization had run out and until the company could renew it, he had to take time off - vacation time or unpaid. He was forced off for about a month until they got it straightened out. So in my company's case, THEY kept track of things! A smaller company might not do that, though.

Rene

Well any company that hires from overseas naturally would keep track, same as a company with H1-B workers, but many companies that have no international works have never dealt with immigration and would only have the essential knowledge of the paperwork required to enable an employeee to take up a position.
Patrick
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

The employer is required to update and verify any document that has expired (section 3 of I-9).

"Employers must reverify employment eligibility of their
employees on or before the expiration date recorded in
Section 1."

See: http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/i-9.pdf

Well any company that hires from overseas naturally would keep track, same as a company with H1-B workers, but many companies that have no international works have never dealt with immigration and would only have the essential knowledge of the paperwork required to enable an employeee to take up a position.
Patrick
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interim EAD :)

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
CONGRATULATIONS!!
:PARTY: :PARTY:
Thanks Hyper
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Sorry to hi-jack your thread dutchie.. but I have been waiting for 100 days!!, This is taking longer than my I-129 approval!! (72 days). What the heck is going on??

I don't know... but why aren't you getting the interim one?
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 3:03 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes I am so late to your thread Dutch! You should *sthlap* me for that one...anyhow, here's a belated congrats on getting your interim EAD!!

Juliet
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Patrick
The recruiter that my husband was contacted by new exactly what an EAD was and the paperwork that goes along with it. She said they had worked with many people who had EADs, but that they all had 1 yr EAD. And as far as I know this is not a huge recruiting agency.

As Sphyrapicus stated above, it is the employer's responsibility to stay aware of upcoming expiry dates, and inform employees of the potential for problems.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by jcapulet
Yikes I am so late to your thread Dutch! You should *sthlap* me for that one...anyhow, here's a belated congrats on getting your interim EAD!!

Juliet
*STHLAP* (you asked for it)
Thank you kindly Juliet.
by the way... haven't seen you on the other forum for awhile... none of you guy's actually.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 3:13 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dutchman2001nl
*STHLAP* (you asked for it)
Thank you kindly Juliet.
by the way... haven't seen you on the other forum for awhile... none of you guy's actually.
I'll come by to visit then!
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by jcapulet
I'll come by to visit then!
I don't know why noone goes there. It doesn't have a disease or so.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 3:30 pm
Jay-s

I don't see this as a problem. Employers are NOT allowed to ask you
about your immigration status. All they can ask you is if you are in
fact allowed to work in the US, to which you can answer yes.
Now the day you effectively come in, you'lle be asked to bring
evidence of that status, as your SSN card will say "only valid for
employment with work authorization".
But the expiration date shouldn't be a problem they have to be worried
about since theoretically, you should receive your next work
authorization before your old one expires.

Oh.., one drawback of course: having to explain the whole story after,
preferably not just the day before your temp work auth. expires...!
But:
1) you got a job, gained experience from it, get to meet people,
practice english if it's not your native langage, etc.
2) you made money (and that's worth a little detour to JFK, imho)
3) I'm pretty sure you still stand a good chance of staying with the
company if you made a good impression.
4) You'll let more people know that there is a serious malfunction in
their country's immigration procedures.

... I'll let you know how it worked out for me very soon ;-)
But my conclusion is: don't listen to the ones that say you don't
stand a chance in front of an employer, just because your work
authorization is a temporary one. Recruiters are hard on candidates
so if you want to win, you have to play right: their job is to screen
candidates for a reason NOT to hire them. If they find one, you're
out, so don't offer them the shoe to boot you out. (just made that one
up, I hope you get what I'm trying to say)

Jay-s
Note: I'm guessing that some employers/recruiters might try to inquire
about your exact legal status before you sign a contract, I'm imagine
asking you questions like "what kind of visa do you have?". Instead of
getting stuck with a refusal to give him an answer, you can answer
that by something like "Do you mean: 'Am I legally able to work in the
US?' Yes, I am.".

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:03:23 +0000, sunflwrgrl13
<member16206@british_expats.com> wrote:

>Originally posted by dutchman2001nl
    >> Valid: 3 months.
    >