Wikiposts

Interim EAD :)

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interim EAD :)

Hi guy's,
Well, today I went back to the Louisville, KY office to pick up my Interim EAD card.
It went without any problems really. I got there at 12.30 and sat there for 45 minutes. The guy called me in, and made the card for me.
Valid: 3 months.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 7:36 am
round 2, ding-ding.

tortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nice
Default Re: Interim EAD :)

CONGRATS!!! :)
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dutchman2001nl
Only 3 months??? Most employers will laugh if you tell them you can only legally work for them for 3 months, and that you don't know how much longer it'll take to get your 1 yr EAD. Scott was basically already told by a potential employer that they would only hire him if he had a 1 yr because there was too much potential that they would have to let him go if the 1 yr one wasn't approved in time. <sigh> this is kinda depressing..

Did they happen to mention when you could expect an approval of the full EAD? Especially since they are already working on app received after yours.

But congrats on winning at least this much from them!!
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:04 am
round 2, ding-ding.

tortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nice

i got my interim ead, filed for my SSN, then got my official ead about a month later. the interim ead is good for getting your ssn at least.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tortoise
i got my interim ead, filed for my SSN, then got my official ead about a month later. the interim ead is good for getting your ssn at least.
That doesn't apply in our case. My husband entered on a K1 and got his SSN about 2 1/2 months ago. But technically he can't work until he gets this friggin EAD!

But thanks for trying to at least point this out!
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

You might want to direct your husband's potential employer to the statement on the top of the I-9:

ANTI-DISCRIMINATION NOTICE: It is illegal to discriminate against work eligible individuals. Employers CANNOT specify which document(s) they will accept from an employee. The refusal to hire an individual because of a future expiration date may also constitute illegal discrimination.

See: http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/i-9.pdf

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
Only 3 months??? Most employers will laugh if you tell them you can only legally work for them for 3 months, and that you don't know how much longer it'll take to get your 1 yr EAD. Scott was basically already told by a potential employer that they would only hire him if he had a 1 yr because there was too much potential that they would have to let him go if the 1 yr one wasn't approved in time. <sigh> this is kinda depressing..

Did they happen to mention when you could expect an approval of the full EAD? Especially since they are already working on app received after yours.

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:10 am
round 2, ding-ding.

But technically he can't work until he gets this friggin EAD!
how frustrating!
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by sphyrapicus
You might want to direct your husband's potential employer to the statement on the top of the I-9:

ANTI-DISCRIMINATION NOTICE: It is illegal to discriminate against work eligible individuals. Employers CANNOT specify which document(s) they will accept from an employee. The refusal to hire an individual because of a future expiration date may also constitute illegal discrimination.

See: http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/i-9.pdf

Hmmm..that would have been nice to know a few months back and we'll remember that for the future. But the employer could always say, "We weren't discriminating based on EAD expiring, we just don't think he'd be a good fit for the position." My husband doesn't remember the exact phrasing of what the recruiter said, but it was basically along the lines of "if you only had the 1 yr EAD..." but we wouldn't be able to prove it now.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jamie.
I tried to get it out of him, but he couldn't tell me. I hope to get it soon though.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by tortoise
CONGRATS!!!
Thank you kindly
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:25 am
AOS-LA District Office

mc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dutchman2001nl
Hi guy's,
Well, today I went back to the Louisville, KY office to pick up my Interim EAD card.
It went without any problems really. I got there at 12.30 and sat there for 45 minutes. The guy called me in, and made the card for me.
Glad to hear you got the Interim EAD card! Congratulations!

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by mc898
Glad to hear you got the Interim EAD card! Congratulations!

Thanks....
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:38 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, Dutch! Surely you'll get your 2 year EAD soon. Any job prospects?
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:39 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm..that would have been nice to know a few months back and we'll remember that for the future. But the employer could always say, "We weren't discriminating based on EAD expiring, we just don't think he'd be a good fit for the position." My husband doesn't remember the exact phrasing of what the recruiter said, but it was basically along the lines of "if you only had the 1 yr EAD..." but we wouldn't be able to prove it now.
I had this happen to me, too, and didn't know that they weren't legally allowed to dismiss people for it. I had my first job for about a week, and at the interview, I was totally honest about my temp work stamp, and said that I'd have to apply for the 1 yr EAD once I was married, and would probably have to wait for the new EAD for a few weeks after the expiration of my temp stamp. They kept me on for a week, and then said that they'd thought about it, and they decided that it wasn't cost-effective for them to train me if they might have to let me go soon. I didn't think anything of it being illegal, and I just nodded like a little lamb and went home in tears. In all honesty, I think I'd rather they lied and said that I was crap at the job and they didn't want me there anymore! It really made me nervous that I wouldn't get another job because of the stamp issue. I'm glad it happened now, though. I ended up with an even better job!!!

Kate. xxxx
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Leslie66
Congratulations, Dutch! Surely you'll get your 2 year EAD soon. Any job prospects?
Thanks Leslie
I have one application out at the moment, and the field I used to work in has plenty of openings.... and now that I got the card, I'll be jobhunting like crazy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.