INS Immigrant Visa

Old Sep 22nd 2001, 10:21 pm
Jerry Buscaglia

Hi,

I am asking a question for a friend of mine:

He is American Citizen and he is applying for his sister's permanent resident (
immigrant visa) from China.

He asked a local friend of his to fill out the form but his friend made a mistake on
the form. What he did was put his sister's married last name on the form instead of
putting her family name, which is on her passport on the form. So now, she has one
name on her passport, and another name on the application for permanent residence
card. What shall he do to modify the name on the forms to INS? The forms were sent in
about ten years ago.

Thx

Old Sep 25th 2001, 9:06 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Jerry Buscaglia wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

It is not worth trying to do anything about it until a visa number is available and
consular processing begins. The sister can indicate the last name that she wishes to
have in the U.S. on the biographic form sent in with the Packet 3 reply. It does not
have to be the same name as the passport. It has to be either the last name on the
birth certificate, the married last name, or a last name acquired through a legal
name change.