Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

INS and Fiancee Visa (K1) for Indonesian fiancee

INS and Fiancee Visa (K1) for Indonesian fiancee

Old Apr 19th 2002, 11:40 pm
Greg

Default INS and Fiancee Visa (K1) for Indonesian fiancee

Hi, just wondering if anyone has had experience recently or within the last year or
so with the INS, particularly with Indonesia. My fiancee lives in Indonesia and I am
a U.S. citizen. We have filed the appropriate forms applying for the K1 Visa and 3
months later received from the INS a request to send in the documentation that we had
already submitted the first time. I have heard of the INS losing documents and also
playing "stall tactics", putting off processing applications by continually making
you resubmit information.

Also, in my area, I don't know about the rest of the nation or the world, the INS is
extremely hard to contact. The only phone number they list is always busy, I have
never gotten an answer, and it is only for an automated case status listing. Also, I
went down to our local office one morning an hour before they opened and there were
hundreds of people already waiting in line outside to talk to someone. I do realize
this is a "game" of numbers, with thousands and thousands of people applying for some
sort of immigration visa daily.

Is there anyone who has had success with the INS granting a Fiancee Visa and if so,
are there options I can try that may grant me more success short of hiring an
immigration attorney?

Thanks for any assistance or advice

Greg

Old Apr 20th 2002, 1:10 am
Marilou920

Default Re: INS and Fiancee Visa (K1) for Indonesian fiancee

>Subject: INS and Fiancee Visa (K1) for Indonesian fiancee From: [email protected]
    >(Greg) Date: 4/19/02 6:14 PM Central Daylight Time Message-id:
    ><[email protected] m>
    >
    >Hi, just wondering if anyone has had experience recently or within the last year or
    >so with the INS, particularly with Indonesia. My fiancee lives in Indonesia and I am
    >a U.S. citizen. We have filed the appropriate forms applying for the K1 Visa and 3
    >months later received from the INS a request to send in the documentation that we
    >had already submitted the first time. I have heard of the INS losing documents and
    >also playing "stall tactics", putting off processing applications by continually
    >making you resubmit information.
    >
    >Also, in my area, I don't know about the rest of the nation or the world, the INS is
    >extremely hard to contact. The only phone number they list is always busy, I have
    >never gotten an answer, and it is only for an automated case status listing. Also, I
    >went down to our local office one morning an hour before they opened and there were
    >hundreds of people already waiting in line outside to talk to someone. I do realize
    >this is a "game" of numbers, with thousands and thousands of people applying for
    >some sort of immigration visa daily.
    >
    >Is there anyone who has had success with the INS granting a Fiancee Visa and if so,
    >are there options I can try that may grant me more success short of hiring an
    >immigration attorney?
    >
    >Thanks for any assistance or advice
    >
    >Greg
Greg I wish you have reasearch first before you filed your k1. Well since you have
already file your k1 and having problems losing your application, you should seek
help from your congreemen. I know that Indonesia is one of the country that do DCF.
You should ahve cosidered DCF or Direct consular filing. I have seen several message
from US citizens done DCF in Indonesia and have been very sucessful and faster also.
    >
    >

Old Apr 21st 2002, 12:10 am
Jeffrey Scharpf

I had a similar situation. I applied for a fiance visa in October.. In late Februrary
I receieved a letter from INS stating that they needed some divorce documents from my
fiance (documents we already sent them).. so I simply re-submitted the same
documents, along with a short letter indicating that I was sure I sent them before..
Ironically, I receieved INS approval a few days later... well before they could have
even looked at my re-submittal. I also contacted my congressman and he was very
helpful and willing to help me out and be my "go to" person if I needed it..

Good luck! Jeff

"Greg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, just wondering if anyone has had experience recently or within the last year or
    > so with the INS, particularly with Indonesia. My fiancee lives in Indonesia and I
    > am a U.S. citizen. We have filed the appropriate forms applying for the K1 Visa and
    > 3 months later received from the INS a request to send in the documentation that we
    > had already submitted the first time. I have heard of the INS losing documents and
    > also playing "stall tactics", putting off processing applications by continually
    > making you resubmit information.
    >
    > Also, in my area, I don't know about the rest of the nation or the world, the INS
    > is extremely hard to contact. The only phone number they list is always busy, I
    > have never gotten an answer, and it is only for an automated case status listing.
    > Also, I went down to our local office one morning an hour before they opened and
    > there were hundreds of people already waiting in line outside to talk to someone. I
    > do realize this is a "game" of numbers, with thousands and thousands of people
    > applying for some sort of immigration visa daily.
    >
    > Is there anyone who has had success with the INS granting a Fiancee Visa and if so,
    > are there options I can try that may grant me more success short of hiring an
    > immigration attorney?
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance or advice
    >
    > Greg

Old Apr 21st 2002, 11:10 am
Greg

Thanks Jeff. I'm contacting my congressman to let him know the situation. I
appreciate you replying to my posting. Good to know there are people out there
willing to help out and involve themselves in some way. I mean if you've been
through the experience and found success, why not help out someone else? That's how
I feel anyway...

Old May 16th 2002, 2:20 am
Greg

"Jeffrey Scharpf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I had a similar situation. I applied for a fiance visa in October.. In late
    > Februrary I receieved a letter from INS stating that they needed some divorce
    > documents from my fiance (documents we already sent them).. so I simply
    > re-submitted the same documents, along with a short letter indicating that I was
    > sure I sent them before.. Ironically, I receieved INS approval a few days later...
    > well before they could have even looked at my re-submittal. I also contacted my
    > congressman and he was very helpful and willing to help me out and be my "go to"
    > person if I needed it..
    >
    > Good luck! Jeff
    >
    > "Greg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi, just wondering if anyone has had experience recently or within the last year
    > > or so with the INS, particularly with Indonesia. My fiancee lives in Indonesia
    > > and I am a U.S. citizen. We have filed the appropriate forms applying for the K1
    > > Visa and 3 months later received from the INS a request to send in the
    > > documentation that we had already submitted the first time. I have heard of the
    > > INS losing documents and also playing "stall tactics", putting off processing
    > > applications by continually making you resubmit information.
    > >
    > > Also, in my area, I don't know about the rest of the nation or the world, the INS
    > > is extremely hard to contact. The only phone number they list is always busy, I
    > > have never gotten an answer, and it is only for an automated case status listing.
    > > Also, I went down to our local office one morning an hour before they opened and
    > > there were hundreds of people already waiting in line outside to talk to someone.
    > > I do realize this is a "game" of numbers, with thousands and thousands of people
    > > applying for some sort of immigration visa daily.
    > >
    > > Is there anyone who has had success with the INS granting a Fiancee Visa and if
    > > so, are there options I can try that may grant me more success short of hiring an
    > > immigration attorney?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any assistance or advice
    > >
    > > Greg

Hi, Greg again. Thankfully we did get approval on the petition for the K-1 Visa. This
means that now once my fiancee in Indonesia gets all of her paperwork together,
support info, proof, medical exams, etc. then she can go for the interview to
hopefully get the Fiancee Visa. In the paperwork they sent Carrie was an "Affidavit
of Support" or a sponsorship form. She wants me to fill this out, but I'm not sure if
it will help or hurt our chances. I am in no position to "sponsor" Carrie. Our plans
are for both of us to be working and living on a combined income. We will make it.
Carrie has a degree in Business from a major University in Indonesia and has several
years of solid work experience, most lately at HSBC banking. So she will have no
problem finding a good job once she's here. I just hate it that it all boils down to
$$ - how much you make, how much does she make, what is your worth in terms of
money!?!?! Anyway, I digress. Carrie is concerned if she only submits her income and
statements of her checking and savings accounts, that the INS will reject her based
on her income solely. But I'm concerned if I submit this form stating my "worth" in
terms of how much I earn a year, that they might turn us down based on that - that I
submitted a "sponsorship" form, but I don't make enough to support her financially by
myself. Anyone else filed one of these Affidavit of Support forms or is it necessary
in our case since we both will be working?

Thanks

Old May 16th 2002, 3:20 am
Just Me

Greg:

October 19 met my Indonesian fiance on Yahoo

Feb 15 Went to Indonesia and spent a month there with here. Loved it and Love her.
March 15 Returned home and put together the I-129F paperwork myself. March 22 Mailed
forms to VSC March 25 VSC received forms March 28 First NOA dated April 2 Received
First NOA letter in my mailbox.

April 30 Woundering why people who mailed theirs to VSC after me are already getting
approved. Same problem as you bla bla bla everything is going normal be patient.

May 10 Crapping my pants as more and more others are getting approved before mine.
Called my Congress liason.

May 14 My congress liason returns my call and tells me the same thing INS says.
Everything is going normal bla bla bla another 2 weeks.

May 14 (Cont.) Called the VSC at night for the Auto voice thingy(You KNow what I
mean) APPROVED !!! Wholy crap I just dropped a brick in my pants from jumping up and
down so much.

May 15 Called my Congress liason and thanked the heck out of them. Later they called
me again to tell me my file is being cabled to Indonesian embassy in Jakarta.

Can't wait !!!!

Bob

Old May 16th 2002, 3:20 am
Mrs_blackross

Greg, I have been where you are, and I know it sucks. I hate to tell you this, but
the I-864 is not an "optional" document, and in order to bring her into the US you
will have to fill it out. If you don't, they will deny your application. Since you
are the US citizen, you are her sponsor, whether you make enough money or not. Her
assets/income CANNOT be used unless she is physically living with you for at least 6
months at the time of the interview. Since you are bringing her over as a K1, this
would not apply. This really sucks the big one, trust me, I know. I was only able to
include my own income on our I-864 because at the time of my interview I had already
been living with my husband for 8 months...if I hadn't, we would have needed a
co-sponsor. INS requires the sponsor (you, the USC) to earn a minimum of 125% above
the poverty level in order to sponsor a family member (fiancee/wife is considered a
family member). If you do not make enough, you need to have a co-sponsor and/or
assets that equal 5X the yearly income requirement. check
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/ho...upp.htm#income for the income
requirements, and
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/pu...ets/affaqa.htm for the FAQ.

Regardless of her degrees and income potential, INS doesn't really care. They want a
legally binding document stating that the immigrant will not become a burden on
society financially, and that's what the I-864 is. You are guaranteeing that you will
financially support this person until they either: a. become a USC themselves, b.
have worked 40 quarters of work, c. dies, or d. you die.

--
Crazy Canuck married to a Dam Yankee Entered as Visitor 07/04/01 Married 08/25/01
Filed @ VSC-AOS, EAD, AP 01/07/02 1st NOA 02/06/02 2nd NOA 02/07/02 EAD approved
02/26/02 AP Approved 02/28/02 AOS appointment letter rec'd 03/07/02 Fingerprint
letter rec'd 03/07/02 AOS interview 04/02/02 AOS APPROVED 04/02/02!!! GC arrived in
mail 04/19/02 next step..removing conditions..April 2004

some helpful sites on the net:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm
http://www.geocities.com/immigration...-130/index.htm

>
    > Hi, Greg again. Thankfully we did get approval on the petition for the K-1 Visa.
    > This means that now once my fiancee in Indonesia gets all of her paperwork
    > together, support info, proof, medical exams, etc. then she can go for the
    > interview to hopefully get the Fiancee Visa. In the paperwork they sent Carrie was
    > an "Affidavit of Support" or a sponsorship form. She wants me to fill this out, but
    > I'm not sure if it will help or hurt our chances. I am in no position to "sponsor"
    > Carrie. Our plans are for both of us to be working and living on a combined income.
    > We will make it. Carrie has a degree in Business from a major University in
    > Indonesia and has several years of solid work experience, most lately at HSBC
    > banking. So she will have no problem finding a good job once she's here. I just
    > hate it that it all boils down to $$ - how much you make, how much does she make,
    > what is your worth in terms of money!?!?! Anyway, I digress. Carrie is concerned if
    > she only submits her income and statements of her checking and savings accounts,
    > that the INS will reject her based on her income solely. But I'm concerned if I
    > submit this form stating my "worth" in terms of how much I earn a year, that they
    > might turn us down based on that - that I submitted a "sponsorship" form, but I
    > don't make enough to support her financially by myself. Anyone else filed one of
    > these Affidavit of Support forms or is it necessary in our case since we both will
    > be working?
    >
    > Thanks

Old May 17th 2002, 7:20 am
Shelley

Your fiancée cannot complete the Affidavit of Support (the I-134 is usually the one
used with the K-1 visa, some Consulates require the I-864), only you the USC sponsor
can. It would not matter if she were a millionaire, you would still have to prove you
have enough income or assets (or a combination of the two) to meet the financial
requirement of sponsorship, or you will have to get a co-sponsor. You must show that
you have the resources to make sure your foreign spouse will not become a public
charge. Not only will you have to do this for the fiancé visa, but once she gets to
the US, you will have to do a second Affidavit of Support (an I-864) for her
Adjustment of Status. If you do not have enough income/assets of your own, you'll
need a co-sponsor, and then you and your co-sponsor will have to submit the
Affidavits each time. If you use a co-sponsor, his/her income must be enough to
support his family + immigrant, not you. My income was not high enough for the
Affidavit of Support, but luckily I owned my home and the equity I had made up the
difference. Here's a website you might want to read to see all the "INS fun" that is
waiting for you once your fiancée arrives in the US. K-1 FAQ
http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/k1faq.htm Read through it all - you can skip the
K-3 section, it does not apply here - and then you can be ready for the next step of
the process. Take Care. Shelley

Old May 17th 2002, 7:20 am
Shelley

"Mrs_Blackross" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Greg, I have been where you are, and I know it sucks. I hate to tell you this, but
    > the I-864 is not an "optional" document, and in order to bring her
into
    > the US you will have to fill it out. If you don't, they will deny your application.
    > Since you are the US citizen, you are her sponsor, whether
you
    > make enough money or not. Her assets/income CANNOT be used unless she >
is physically living with you for at least 6 months at the time of the
    > interview. Since you are bringing her over as a K1, this would not apply.
<snip>

The Affidavit of Support for a K-1 is usually the I-134 - does the Indonesian
Consulate require the I-864? Take Care. Shelley

Old May 17th 2002, 4:20 pm
Just Me

Hello All:

I thought thats what he was talking about. Seems he is sponsoring a K-1 fiance visa
using the I-129 F petition for Fiance. In this case, he will not need the I-864
unless he will marry her abroad or when he adjust her status after she arives here
and they get married.

The answer is yes, the Indonesian consulate will accept an I-134 Affidavid of
Support. That is what I used with my Indonesian fiance. She will have to bring that
with her at her interview. All you have to show is a few weeks of pay stubs with the
I-134. Then you can worry about the rest when she arives here. When you adjust her
status here, you will have to use the I-864 and show your prior 3 years tax returns
but they only care about your last year(current income) - that you can currently
support her.

If you want to bring her here on a K-1 fiance visa, I would suggest you get a job
SOON. One that will pay 125% above poverty level. If you can't do that, then maybe
it's too soon for you to be thinking about doing such a thing. After all, you have to
take care of your family.

Bob

Old May 18th 2002, 2:20 am
Mrs_blackross

yea i know the K1 uses the I-134, but he is going to eventually have to file the
I-864 as well after the wedding, and that's the important one, as it is legally
binding and enforceable, where the I-134 is not.
--
Crazy Canuck married to a Dam Yankee Entered as Visitor 07/04/01 Married 08/25/01
Filed @ VSC-AOS, EAD, AP 01/07/02 1st NOA 02/06/02 2nd NOA 02/07/02 EAD approved
02/26/02 AP Approved 02/28/02 AOS appointment letter rec'd 03/07/02 Fingerprint
letter rec'd 03/07/02 AOS interview 04/02/02 AOS APPROVED 04/02/02!!! GC arrived in
mail 04/19/02 next step..removing conditions..April 2004

some helpful sites on the net:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm
http://www.geocities.com/immigration...-130/index.htm

"Shelley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > "Mrs_Blackross" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Greg, I have been where you are, and I know it sucks. I hate to tell you
this,
    > > but the I-864 is not an "optional" document, and in order to bring her
    > into
    > > the US you will have to fill it out. If you don't, they will deny your
    > > application. Since you are the US citizen, you are her sponsor, whether
    > you
    > > make enough money or not. Her assets/income CANNOT be used unless she >
    > is physically living with you for at least 6 months at the time of the
    > > interview. Since you are bringing her over as a K1, this would not
apply.
    > <snip>
    >
    > The Affidavit of Support for a K-1 is usually the I-134 - does the Indonesian
    > Consulate require the I-864? Take Care. Shelley