Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

InfoPass--what's the big deal?

InfoPass--what's the big deal?

Old Aug 17th 2005, 10:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default InfoPass--what's the big deal?

So yesterday afternoon I thinks to myself 'Self, no matter how slow it looked down at your local office you should not try and sneak in there.. you should make an an InfoPass appointment for your DarlingAlienHusband'. So I clicked over, typed in all the data and was presented with 2 weeks worth of opportunities to visit POO, including next day, any time I liked. I picked one and told the DAH to shave this morning since he was going to get snaps for his new Green Card.

I've heard so many stories about difficulties in getting an InfoPass appointment.. I guess that's one more reason we're lucky to live where we do

Modest gripe: The Approval Letter has several incorrect instructions. To remedy this, a *second* letter is included, informing you of the errors in the first letter. It even has an official form number: I-926, Supplement A to Notice of Removal of Conditional Basis of Lawful Permanent Residence (Form I-751).
The second letter also has errors, and they cost me $8! The injustice!!

The letter instucts us to bring 3 photos for the new card, which means having 2 sets of 2 taken.
The officer stopped me at 2, saying 'that's enough'.

Think I can ebay 2 passport pix of my husband? Maybe we'll find a use for them soon anyway.. like a US passport.

Probably, had I read enough posts here, I would've known to only get 2, but Rene, SecretGarden and Rete can certainly relate to my desire to follow Official Instructions properly

We showed up early & were told that they were a bit behind schedule, but they will get to us asap (how did all those appointments fill up so fast?). We were called up about 30 minutes past our appointment time and did the drill.

We were there to give the details for DAHs 10-year LPR card now that the conditions have been removed. This involves the 2 photos, his passport, 2 fingerprints, 2 autographs and his original approval letter (the officer gave me a stamped photocopy 'for my records'). The expired Green Card was taken away, a few questions about the origin of his Immigrant Visa were asked/answered and a little chit chat ensued.
An elaborate stamp was placed in the passport, evidence of his status valid for 6 months (IR-1!!). The officer says that DAH has to carry his pp on him as evidence or face the fine ($1000?) until his new Green Card arrives. Yeah, right. I imagine another mini photocopy will find its way into the DAWallet.

Hanging out for an hour in my first time in a USCIS office is a bit of in-your-face-education. The people watching is splendid but the system is a stitch. In quiet old Portland it's no big deal, but I can imagine the bedlam in a bigger city.
So, now we've had our little adventure. Nothing more for a few months now, and none of this was exciting, but I'm sure this is the only audience in the world that might be interested in hearing about it.

PS: they're good pictures.. I'm thinking of a $50 reserve.. thoughts?
meauxna
Old Aug 17th 2005, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: InfoPass--what's the big deal?

Originally Posted by meauxna
PS: they're good pictures.. I'm thinking of a $50 reserve.. thoughts?
Well, first of all... congratulations! Sounds like a good trip. Second... I think your reserve may be a tad low!

Ian
Old Aug 17th 2005, 11:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info, Mo! I, for one, was totally enthralled, I don't know about the others! hehehe

So they just did the fingerprint right there...no need for a separate biometrics appointment for removal of conditions, right?

Rene
Old Aug 17th 2005, 11:33 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Thanks for the info, Mo! I, for one, was totally enthralled, I don't know about the others! hehehe

So they just did the fingerprint right there...no need for a separate biometrics appointment for removal of conditions, right?

Rene
That's what I'm saying, missy. No fee, no biometrics. No electroniz, just ink and a moist towelette.
In fact, I asked the old geezer just in case I had forgotten but do you know, he has never had a 10-print set taken? One digit at the POE for his original I-551, and the same again today.
At the POE, the officer said the DAH's finger had too much scar tissue for a good print. The officer today disagreed, so I said that it must be the inferior staff in MSP
Old Aug 18th 2005, 12:55 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I'm saying, missy. No fee, no biometrics. No electroniz, just ink and a moist towelette.
In fact, I asked the old geezer just in case I had forgotten but do you know, he has never had a 10-print set taken? One digit at the POE for his original I-551, and the same again today.
At the POE, the officer said the DAH's finger had too much scar tissue for a good print. The officer today disagreed, so I said that it must be the inferior staff in MSP

Nice post, MO and congrats to DAH. As for the 10 finger biometrics not being taken that is because he got his CR-1 at the US Consulate where they only did the IBIS and FBI name check. If there had been a hit they would have called him in for a full set of prints.

I relate to the naturalization bit. It is wonderful not to have USCIS hanging over your head. I true blessing.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats MO and DAH ... We had the same deal with the letters, it would probably take someone at USCIS 5 mins to change it. Glad everything went well, infopass makes life so much easier eh ? The good news is your new card should be through soon, mine took 23 days to arrive after infopass thingie.

Next step Natz ...... onward and upward

Jan
Old Aug 19th 2005, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
Congrats MO and DAH ... We had the same deal with the letters, it would probably take someone at USCIS 5 mins to change it. Glad everything went well, infopass makes life so much easier eh ? The good news is your new card should be through soon, mine took 23 days to arrive after infopass thingie.

Next step Natz ...... onward and upward

Jan
WooHoo, Jan! That is a fast turnaround.. I had it in my head that the post-I-751 cards were taking longer, so that will be a happy surprise. Maybe I won't tell the DAH and when it comes, I can tell him it came so quickly because the US *really* wants him to stay here

And yes, we started drilling on the natz questions while we were waiting

Thanks everyone for your nice comments and encouragement!
Old Aug 20th 2005, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

WooHoo, Jan! That is a fast turnaround.. I had it in my head that the post-I-751 cards were taking longer, so that will be a happy surprise. Maybe I won't tell the DAH and when it comes, I can tell him it came so quickly because the US *really* wants him to stay here

And yes, we started drilling on the natz questions while we were waiting

Thanks everyone for your nice comments and encouragement!
is there a practice list of natz questions available somewhere? If so, can anyone send me a link? We are a long ways off to worrying bout natz for Scott but it's never too early to start!

Congrats Mo & DAH! Love the way you type a story!

Ciao,
jamie
Old Aug 20th 2005, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

sdmansour will become famous soon enoughsdmansour will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
is there a practice list of natz questions available somewhere? If so, can anyone send me a link? We are a long ways off to worrying bout natz for Scott but it's never too early to start!

Congrats Mo & DAH! Love the way you type a story!

Ciao,
jamie

Here's the link I picked up some time ago from another poster and filed away in "my favorites" so that when we need it, we'd have it. Have fun with it

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/100q.pdf
Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

wildxena is on a distinguished road

Congratulations!!!! Lots of details and very informative!!

Question: I wil be travelling out of the country in less than 2 weeks, I was told that I can ask for a temporary green card, did you ask for it? If do, did they issue it to you right away??!!!

How did you celebrate? hahaha....its really a long process to get to this point and I am happy got you. Now I will see what happen to me tomorrow.

Can you give me an idea on what question they ask him about the visa or whatsoever? You have metioned that they asked a few questions during the thing...
Old Aug 30th 2005, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by wildxena
Congratulations!!!! Lots of details and very informative!!

Question: I wil be travelling out of the country in less than 2 weeks, I was told that I can ask for a temporary green card, did you ask for it? If do, did they issue it to you right away??!!!

How did you celebrate? hahaha....its really a long process to get to this point and I am happy got you. Now I will see what happen to me tomorrow.

Can you give me an idea on what question they ask him about the visa or whatsoever? You have metioned that they asked a few questions during the thing...
The very elaborate stamp in the passport is your proof of status and travel permission. It's similar to the old entry stamp an IV entrant would get, or the I-551 stamp that some get after their AOS interview. It is valid for 6 months instead of one year.

Lucky for us, every day is a celebration of some kind I guess getting the card itself will be cause for another to-do!

The questions were 'where did you live when you applied for your immigrant visa?' and 'which consulate issued your visa?'. Others have had different questions that my guess are asked to verify identity as a cross-check. Parents names' were listed on the form he completed... nothing you won't know, at any rate

Have a *good time*...we'll look for your report tomorrow!
Old Aug 30th 2005, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

wildxena is on a distinguished road

Hey I just got home from my INS appt. Okay, let me tell you, I am a bit concern...may be someone can give me advice to calm me down a bit.

I got there on time (Seattle office), no line and I got called up to the counter in 10 mins. I told her up front that I need to travel out of the country in 2 weeks, she said "No problem, I will take care of that for you today". I got my fingerprint, she took 3 photos from me, and asked me to sit down as she can work on the paperwork. 5 mins later, she called me back to the counter, than said "This is all the proof that you need and you are legal to work as well". I was in joy then I left. As I drove out, I was like....um...."all the proof that I need" or "all the proof that I need to travel"....see what I am saying??!!! I saw it somewhere in the forum someone said I have to have a travel document from INS in order to travel and I need to mention that during the appointment. Anyone can help me out here and tell me whether I need a separate document or simply the stamp on my passport saying "I-751 approved" is enough.

Thanks......(yet concern)
Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by wildxena
Hey I just got home from my INS appt. Okay, let me tell you, I am a bit concern...may be someone can give me advice to calm me down a bit.

I got there on time (Seattle office), no line and I got called up to the counter in 10 mins. I told her up front that I need to travel out of the country in 2 weeks, she said "No problem, I will take care of that for you today". I got my fingerprint, she took 3 photos from me, and asked me to sit down as she can work on the paperwork. 5 mins later, she called me back to the counter, than said "This is all the proof that you need and you are legal to work as well". I was in joy then I left. As I drove out, I was like....um...."all the proof that I need" or "all the proof that I need to travel"....see what I am saying??!!! I saw it somewhere in the forum someone said I have to have a travel document from INS in order to travel and I need to mention that during the appointment. Anyone can help me out here and tell me whether I need a separate document or simply the stamp on my passport saying "I-751 approved" is enough.

Thanks......(yet concern)
wild,
Does your stamp (the actual stamp part) say: Processed for I-551 / Temporary Evidence / Lawful Admission for Permanent Residence / Valid Until
etc etc?

That's your work and travel permission; use it like a Green Card.

I don't think you require a travel document of any kind. I'm not sending my pouse out with one, if that's any consolation

Think calm thoughts, think calm thoughts, rinse, repeat.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:22 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Mo,
It occurred to me that I saw this thread when we were away on our trip to the UK and never congratulated you both.

So.....

Congratulations on another hurdle jumped! I just wanted to make it official, and thank you for all your help the past couple of years. I hope you celebrated in style.......

~SecretGarden
~and that Mr. Pink guy, too!
Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Hiya Mo,
It occurred to me that I saw this thread when we were away on our trip to the UK and never congratulated you both.

So.....

Congratulations on another hurdle jumped! I just wanted to make it official, and thank you for all your help the past couple of years. I hope you celebrated in style.......

~SecretGarden
~and that Mr. Pink guy, too!
Hey thanks, dudes!
I know, I'm behind by one PM to you.. not forgotten!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.