Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

INFOPASS MY @$$!!! -- Sacramento District

INFOPASS MY @$$!!! -- Sacramento District

Old Sep 16th 2004, 4:02 am
Lurker, Part-time Poster

celinelopez will become famous soon enough
Default INFOPASS MY @$$!!! -- Sacramento District

I guess I haven't really been paying close attention to the Infopass experiences, but the Sacramento district office pulled a fast one on me. I set up an appointment for 11:30am on a wednesday. I even RAN to the building so I wouldnt be late. And know what they did? THEY GAVE ME A NUMBER. And the last number at that :P. So this is how the Infopass works: you set up an appointment and you STILL have to frickin get in line. WTF is up with that? I just wish they had the consideration to put that on the website. Honestly though, I dont know how bad the queueing business was before the Infopass, but really, what's the difference? We dont have to queue to take the number anymore? What a relief. Anyway, I got my EAD anyway. It's worth the wait I guess. I just didn't expect all that waiting. My advice: pick the 9:30am schedule and get your @$$ over there at like 5 or 7am. And if you're unlucky, there's always the Westfield Downtown Plaza a block away.

Edit: The passport pictures were useless. They take the pics themselves. But if you wanna be sure, it doesnt hurt to be overprepared.

Last edited by celinelopez; Sep 16th 2004 at 4:20 am. Reason: Added info
Old Sep 19th 2004, 3:49 pm
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: INFOPASS MY @$$!!! -- Sacramento District

Hi,

Not really anything to add to your post, just wanted to say its nice to see someone else going through the Sacramento office.
I've actually been amazed at their level of efficiency so far compared to many other offices I read about.

Hope all goes a little smoother for you in the future.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 4:33 pm
Lurker, Part-time Poster

Originally Posted by CharlieS
Hi,

Not really anything to add to your post, just wanted to say its nice to see someone else going through the Sacramento office.
I've actually been amazed at their level of efficiency so far compared to many other offices I read about.

Hope all goes a little smoother for you in the future.
Heya! You also from Sacto?

Well, everything did run pretty smoothly for me, I was just caught off guard by the waiting :P must say now I know better, next time I have to go there (heaven forbid), I know what to do
Old Sep 19th 2004, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

melody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nice

Originally Posted by celinelopez
Well, everything did run pretty smoothly for me, I was just caught off guard by the waiting :P must say now I know better, next time I have to go there (heaven forbid), I know what to do
Guess I should bring a book or 5 to keep me entertained while waiting...
Old Sep 19th 2004, 6:30 pm
Lurker, Part-time Poster

Originally Posted by melody32
Guess I should bring a book or 5 to keep me entertained while waiting...
Hehehh... yeah. I figured a good plan is signing up for the 9:30 am appointment and trying to get there as early as possible, in high hopes that you'd actually get your 9:30 am appointment :P I figured one has to wait about 1-2 hours anyway, so pack the books
Old Sep 19th 2004, 7:09 pm
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=celinelopez]Heya! You also from Sacto?

Yes, am living the high life in Sacramento.
The good lady and myself will be going to Sac office on Friday for our AOS interview...(gulp)
Old Sep 19th 2004, 8:40 pm
Lurker, Part-time Poster

Thumbs up Re: INFOPASS MY @$$!!! -- Sacramento District

[QUOTE=CharlieS]
Heya! You also from Sacto?

Yes, am living the high life in Sacramento.
The good lady and myself will be going to Sac office on Friday for our AOS interview...(gulp)
Aaaaaw that's so sweet! Congrats on the interview! I know someone who's also been through the AOS interview in Sac, do you want me to post his log? I copied it so I'd have an idea on what to do when it's (hopefully) my turn. So your papers took barely 6 months? I hope the Sac district is consistent with their efficiency. When did you do biometrics?
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 12:28 pm
Charlie Tuna

The log would be great if you could post it or put it in a PM for me just to satisfy my curiosity. I'm using a lawyer so hopefully all bases are covered but I like to know what to expect.
No biometrics done, I came in on a K1

Aaaaaw that's so sweet! Congrats on the interview! I know someone who's also been through the AOS interview in Sac, do you want me to post his log? I copied it so I'd have an idea on what to do when it's (hopefully) my turn. So your papers took barely 6 months? I hope the Sac district is consistent with their efficiency. When did you do biometrics?
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 3:00 pm
Lurker, Part-time Poster

Originally Posted by CharlieS
The log would be great if you could post it or put it in a PM for me just to satisfy my curiosity. I'm using a lawyer so hopefully all bases are covered but I like to know what to expect.
No biometrics done, I came in on a K1
Done! If anyone else on the forum wants the log, they can send me a private message.
Old Sep 24th 2004, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I haven't really been paying close attention to the Infopass experiences, but the Sacramento district office pulled a fast one on me. I set up an appointment for 11:30am on a wednesday. I even RAN to the building so I wouldnt be late. And know what they did? THEY GAVE ME A NUMBER. And the last number at that :P. So this is how the Infopass works: you set up an appointment and you STILL have to frickin get in line. WTF is up with that? I just wish they had the consideration to put that on the website. Honestly though, I dont know how bad the queueing business was before the Infopass, but really, what's the difference? We dont have to queue to take the number anymore? What a relief. Anyway, I got my EAD anyway. It's worth the wait I guess. I just didn't expect all that waiting. My advice: pick the 9:30am schedule and get your @$$ over there at like 5 or 7am. And if you're unlucky, there's always the Westfield Downtown Plaza a block away.

Edit: The passport pictures were useless. They take the pics themselves. But if you wanna be sure, it doesnt hurt to be overprepared.
Hi:

I can only speak for Los Angeles -- and I went through an InfoPass interview this morning on an interim EAD [Client had trouble last week and they CIS simply gave a new appointment to come back with yours truly. Case had a wrinkle in it which stymied both IO and client].

BEFORE InfoPass wasinstituted, one had to wait on line out side to get inside to THEN get a ticket to be called. InfoPass has eliminated the line OUTSIDE of the building. And the numbers are controlled. In Los Angeles, the goal is to get to your case within one how of check-in. And they do.

Your advise on getting an early appointment is sound. Your advice of arriving hours before your appointment is NOT sound -- they won't let you in the building.

The only concerns I have about InfoPass is that the IO don't often have the means of solving problems that come up.

BTW, please be NICE to the IO's -- I heard many people bitching about what OTHER parts of CIS had done. I would cringe as I would hear this. If you must bitch, at least have the courtesy to say something like "I'm not mad at YOU, but I am upset about ...." I have found that such statement often helps you obtain further help from CIS officers. Beleive me, the CIS employees KNOW better than you what a FUBAR agency they work for.
Old Sep 24th 2004, 7:43 pm
Lurker, Part-time Poster

Wink Re: INFOPASS MY @$$!!! -- Sacramento District

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Your advise on getting an early appointment is sound. Your advice of arriving hours before your appointment is NOT sound -- they won't let you in the building.
Oh but I've heard stories of people lining up as early as 4am for their appointments *shrug* this was Pre-Infopass era though. At least when you're lined up in front of the building before they open, there's a better chance you'd get The Number 1 Ticket

BTW, please be NICE to the IO's -- I heard many people bitching about what OTHER parts of CIS had done. I would cringe as I would hear this. If you must bitch, at least have the courtesy to say something like "I'm not mad at YOU, but I am upset about ...." I have found that such statement often helps you obtain further help from CIS officers. Beleive me, the CIS employees KNOW better than you what a FUBAR agency they work for.
Well as far as I'm concerned, *I* was very nice and cordial to the Immigration Officers. This stern-looking lady just took my papers and told me to take a seat. Coming from the Philippines, I know how to deal with bureaucracy
I have no complaints vs. the officers, just the way everything is set up. There were 7 (9?) counters, and only 2 clerks at the most were manning the stations. Understaffed and underpaid? You tell me
Old Sep 24th 2004, 8:47 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry to hear about your fustrating experience, how long did it take??
I got my interim EAD at the Denver office, I got there at 8:00.. waited for 4 hours.. I was told to come back again at 2:00 pm:scared:
Old Sep 25th 2004, 4:13 pm
Lurker, Part-time Poster

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
I am sorry to hear about your fustrating experience, how long did it take??
I got my interim EAD at the Denver office, I got there at 8:00.. waited for 4 hours.. I was told to come back again at 2:00 pm
hehh... thanks!

my ticket said the wait was approx 4 hrs:36 minutes :P it was almost accurate, I got there 11:30am and waited till 4:20pm. at least i got what i came there for.