Reload this Page >

Incomplete Documents for Consular Interview - K1

Incomplete Documents for Consular Interview - K1

Old Jul 31st 2012, 8:05 pm
In Anticipation

BibbyBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Incomplete Documents for Consular Interview - K1

Hi Guys

Well, I'm now only five days away from my interview at London (K1 Visa) but I still don't have my German Certificate of Good Conduct in hand

I mailed the original application on 21st May using international signed for postage after paying an arm and a leg to get it notarised and sending payment via direct bank transfer.

Anyway, it hadn't arrived weeks later despite it being received at their offices on 1st June (according to the tracking information) so I tried on a couple of occasions to call their number during the allotted opening hours without any success..... permanently engaged (and I do mean permanently because I just kept dialling, hanging up and redialling for over an hour and a half each time!)

I realised that this was futile so, upon searching the website, I found that they had no other means of contact; no email, nothing however; I found an email addy for another department within the building (dealing with adolesence services or something equally unrelated!) so I sent them a begging, panic-ridden email asking them if they could possibly forward my details on to the right department and let me know what was going on with my application.

Eventually, a week later, they replied (the correct department ) requesting me to confirm some basic details etc.

Long story short, I eventually discovered that they had mailed my Certificate on 5th June to my address, minus the first line!!!!

They said that they would re-issue and re-send the certificate to the full address that day... 13th July.

Last Thursday, approaching the two week point, I emailed them again to confirm if they had indeed posted it, if so when and by what means (i.e. was there any tracking on it etc) and also asked them if there was any way that they could send me an electronic version of it so that I could at least get it translated in time for my interview in London and hope that the ConOff would accept a .pdf version.

(BTW... I corresponded in German after using an online translator... I thought it best to show willing )

They replied to me yesterday stating that it was sent as promised on 13th July via Air Mail (no tracking!) and no, they couldn't send it to me electronically.

Royal Mail are unable to help me at all as they say any claim or search for lost or delayed post has to come from the originator in Germany (yeah, like the Federal Office of Justice, who happen to receive approx. 40,000 applications on a daily basis I believe, is going to start going through all of that just for little old me!)

So, 18 days after posting, I still don't have it or have no clue if it will get here before Saturday (last chance to try and get it translated before I head down on the train to London on Sunday)

My question is this (finally I hear you all saying ) assuming my Visa would be granted if all documents were in hand and that they don't have any other issues or reasons to deny granting me one, how long will they give me to get the certificate to them after the interview?

I'm sure I've read on here somewhere that they allow you some time if anything is missing, but I can't find anything to say how much time and also, I believe they would keep hold of my passport and return that to me with the Visa in it, once they have the missing document and are satisfied with it BUT ...... if my certificate hasn't arrived by the time I return home after the interview, my next plan of action is to drive over to Germany (using the Channel Tunnel in between obviously LOL) and pick up the certificate in person (subject to the Federal Office of Justice confirming that I can do this) but I would obviously need my passport to cross over into mainland Europe.

Would the ConOff in London allow me to keep hold of my passport for this purpose and courier that to him with the Certificate (or even drop it off in person on my return from Germany?)

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but I just wanted you to know that I'm not worrying unduly.... I really do appear to have had some serious bad luck with this and it's not looking favourable right now

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer - you truly are a font of all knowledge with these matters
Old Jul 31st 2012, 8:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Incomplete Documents for Consular Interview - K1

Originally Posted by BibbyBear
My question is this (finally I hear you all saying ) assuming my Visa would be granted if all documents were in hand and that they don't have any other issues or reasons to deny granting me one, how long will they give me to get the certificate to them after the interview?
Probably something like a year.

Would the ConOff in London allow me to keep hold of my passport for this purpose and courier that to him with the Certificate (or even drop it off in person on my return from Germany?)
You can't drop it off in person. But yes, they will allow you to keep it and then courier it back to them.

You can also try showing all this evidence that you've been trying to obtain the German document, but so far have been unsuccessful. You never know, the ConOff might waive the requirement. Bring every shred of evidence showing you applied, didn't get it, correspondence, tried again, didn't get it....etc.

Rene
Old Jul 31st 2012, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You can't drop it off in person. But yes, they will allow you to keep it and then courier it back to them.
Indeed, they might insist on it.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 8:23 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The consulate will give you more time than you'll need to submit the missing document.

I agree with JSL that the consular officer will most likely give you back your passport, to be re-submitted with the missing document.

Regards, JEff
Old Jul 31st 2012, 8:39 pm
In Anticipation

BibbyBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, thanks so much Rene, JSL & Jeff - that puts my mind at ease.

I have photocopies of my original notarised application, bank transfer receipt, Post Office receipt with tracking number and have already printed off the email communications (although all in German!) as I thought they might just let me off without this if I smile sweetly (only joking, I know there is slim - no chance of that happening, but it at least shows that I've not just forgotten to get it until the last minute!)

And, for the record, I never did and still haven't returned my Notification of Readiness form DS2001 precisely because I knew I wasn't ready but they sent me the interview date anyway?

Anyway, I shouldn't give up complete hope just yet - I do still have four more postal days until I go

Thanks again for your prompt responses.

Chrissy