Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Income tax at interview

Income tax at interview

Old Aug 9th 2012, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Basilisk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Income tax at interview

I had fallen behind in filing US income tax forms, and have only recently (fortunately) got caught up. Forms for 2008/9/10 have been filed. I was able to get transcripts for 2009/10. The IRS had a question about 2008, recently resolved, so the transcript for that is still pending (but I have the full form).

2011 has not yet been submitted, but I've filed for an extension.

So far, so good. But I owe the IRS a fair amount of money for the three recently filed years, which I haven't paid yet. When my UKC wife turns up at the immigrant visa interview, are they going to care?

Thanks,

Basil
Old Aug 9th 2012, 3:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income tax at interview

Originally Posted by Basilisk
ISo far, so good. But I owe the IRS a fair amount of money for the three recently filed years, which I haven't paid yet. When my UKC wife turns up at the immigrant visa interview, are they going to care?
No, it's not about the amount you owe IRS, it's about the amount you earn per year.

Rene
Old Aug 9th 2012, 4:59 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You must be making a great income! Just out of curiosity, did you file a joint income tax return with your wife? Is her income more than the foreign earned income exclusion?

Regards, JEff

I owe the IRS a fair amount of money for the three recently filed years, which I haven't paid yet.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I owe the IRS a fair amount of money for the three recently filed years, which I haven't paid yet. When my UKC wife turns up at the immigrant visa interview, are they going to care?
No... they are not the IRS police. The obligation is to file the returns... not to pay!

Ian
Old Aug 10th 2012, 2:33 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Income tax returns are to document income, neither the consulate (immigrant visa) nor USCIS (adjustment of status) are concerned about the amount of tax paid or owed by the sponsor.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The obligation is to file the returns... not to pay!