Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Immunizations before/after K1 Interview

Immunizations before/after K1 Interview

Old May 16th 2002, 12:20 pm
Kacey

Default Immunizations before/after K1 Interview

Hi everyone...

I had been under the impression that all immunizations for K-1 can be done after
arriving in the U.S. (or at least a portion of them)....inquired about this once
before in the newsgroup, and someone was kind enough to confirm my belief.

My fiance received his packet 3 yesterday, and phoned one of the doctors on the list
that was sent to him (Germany) to inquire about immunizations. The doctor told him he
will have to have a hep B shot...and then wait 6 weeks and have the second shot PRIOR
to leaving germany! Now he's panicking, because we were hoping for him to have early
june interview, and he has to travel several hours just to get to the doctor, so that
probably won't happen for a couple weeks still.

I've tried doing searches to find information..but the only "official" info is for
IMMIGRANT visas, which states that all immunizations must be obtained prior to the
visa being issued.

Does anyone have a link to "official" DOJ/DOS (whichever one it is we're dealing with
here!) that states the actual requirements for WHEN immunizations must be taken care
of? I would really like him to be able to take a printed copy of some official rule
with him, just in case. (it seems that Frankfurt has not handled very many k-1
visa's, and I fear they aren't real clear on what all the "rules" may be)

Thank you so much! Kristen

Old May 17th 2002, 6:20 pm
Geanna

Default Re: Immunizations before/after K1 Interview

[email protected] (kacey) wrote in message
news:<[email protected] om>...
    > Hi everyone...
    >
    > I had been under the impression that all immunizations for K-1 can be done after
    > arriving in the U.S. (or at least a portion of them)....inquired about this once
    > before in the newsgroup, and someone was kind enough to confirm my belief.
    >
    > My fiance received his packet 3 yesterday, and phoned one of the doctors on the
    > list that was sent to him (Germany) to inquire about immunizations. The doctor told
    > him he will have to have a hep B shot...and then wait 6 weeks and have the second
    > shot PRIOR to leaving germany! Now he's panicking, because we were hoping for him
    > to have early june interview, and he has to travel several hours just to get to the
    > doctor, so that probably won't happen for a couple weeks still.
    >
    > I've tried doing searches to find information..but the only "official" info is for
    > IMMIGRANT visas, which states that all immunizations must be obtained prior to the
    > visa being issued.
    >
    > Does anyone have a link to "official" DOJ/DOS (whichever one it is we're dealing
    > with here!) that states the actual requirements for WHEN immunizations must be
    > taken care of? I would really like him to be able to take a printed copy of some
    > official rule with him, just in case. (it seems that Frankfurt has not handled very
    > many k-1 visa's, and I fear they aren't real clear on what all the "rules" may be)
    >
    > Thank you so much! Kristen

well i found this on the website of http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/i-693faq.htm

i don't think your fiancee'd need that vaccination now. i hope it'll help you.

Frequently Asked Questions for Form I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking
Adjustment of Status

Are all adjustment of status applicants required to have a medical examination? How
do I find a designated civil surgeon in my area? What does the medical examination
involve? What vaccinations are required?

Are all adjustment of status applicants required to have a medical examination?

Most applicants for adjustment of status are required to have a medical
examination. The medical examination must be conducted by a civil surgeon who has
been designated by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). The
examination must be documented using Form I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens
Seeking Adjustment of Status.

EXCEPTIONS:

Refugees: If you were admitted to the United States as a refugee and are applying for
adjustment of status one year after your first admission, you do not need to repeat
the medical examination you had overseas, if there were no medical grounds of
inadmissibility that arose at that time. You do, however, need to comply with the
vaccination requirements. For more information about the vaccination requirements for
refugees, including information about how to get the vaccination sign-off from a
participating health department, see "Vaccination Requirements for Refugees and
Asylees Applying for Adjustment of Status in the United States".

Ks: If you were admitted to the United States as a fiance(e) (K-1), child of a
fiance(e) (K-2), Spouse of a U.S. citizen (K-3), or child of K-3 (K-4), and
received a medical examination prior to admission, then you do not require another
medical examination as long as your application for adjustment of status (Form
I-485) is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination. You will,
however, be required to submit a vaccination supplement with our adjustment of
status application. The vaccination supplement must be completed by a designated
civil surgeon.

Vs: If you were admitted to the United States or obtained status while in the United
States as a spouse of a permanent resident awaiting a visa (V-1), or the child of
a permanent resident awaiting a visa (V-2), or the child of a V-1 or V-2 (V-3),
who received a medical examination prior to admission or obtaining V status, you
will need to have another medical examination when you apply for adjustment of
status (Form I-485), unless your application is filed within one year of your
medical examination. In any case, you will be required to submit a vaccination
supplement with your adjustment of status application. The vaccination supplement
must be completed by a designated civil surgeon.

Old May 17th 2002, 7:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

He can most definitely have the second innoculation here in the US. The doctor is just that a doctor. He does not approve or disapprove the visa. He does the examiner. Period.

Why didn't your fiancee start the innoculation with his own doctor earlier? Would have saved you the worry.
Old May 18th 2002, 1:20 pm
Kacey

Rete <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > He can most definitely have the second innoculation here in the US. The doctor is
    > just that a doctor. He does not approve or disapprove the visa. He does the
    > examiner. Period.

Well, he's trying to get ahold of the consulate to see if they will confirm this for
him. The doctor again insisted that he must have two Hep B shots prior to getting
visa when he called a second doc.

>
    > Why didn't your fiancee start the innoculation with his own doctor earlier? Would
    > have saved you the worry.

Two reasons... one, He doesn't currently have a "regular" doctor - and is not sure he
is covered by insurance any longer (long story). two, we could never find any
concrete answer on what he would have to have. Some said yes, have to have hep B,
some said you dont...all depends on country...and there was NO info on Germany.
Didn't want to pay for shots he did not have to have.

Old May 18th 2002, 9:20 pm
Trixi

Hello, maybe this link will help you http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/pdf/cs_va_2.pdf

this is exactly the same list which i got from Frankfurt consulate my medical thing
was in march this year, everything was ok for the doctor in Frankfurt i didn´t have
any Hep B shots , but my daughter needed those because she is under 18

Trixi