I751 and travel

Old May 4th 2008, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

lily74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I751 and travel

My conditional (2 year) GC expires this December, so I know I can apply for the 10 year GC in September.
After reading other posts on here, I see that it is taking a long time for these to be processed (VSC where I will be sending mine).
Will I be able to travel out of the country in December/January and what documents would I need to have to be able to do this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old May 4th 2008, 7:15 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I751 and travel

Originally Posted by lily74
My conditional (2 year) GC expires this December, so I know I can apply for the 10 year GC in September.
After reading other posts on here, I see that it is taking a long time for these to be processed (VSC where I will be sending mine).
Will I be able to travel out of the country in December/January and what documents would I need to have to be able to do this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
You'll find it easier to find the info you want with the right terminology. You won't be applying for a 10 year card. You must petition with form I-751 to remove the conditions on your PR status (because you were married less than 2 years when you got your PR).

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

As a legal permanent resident, you should have received a permanent resident card. This card will continue to prove that you have a right to live and work in the United States permanently. If you file your USCIS Form I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence) on time, the USCIS will extend your conditional resident status for up to 12 months while your Form I-751 petition is under review.
Old May 4th 2008, 7:58 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lily74
Yes. You will need your expired green card, the letter extending your status for one year (which you'll receive from USCIS after you file form I-751), and your unexpired foreign passport.

To be pedantic, you can "travel out of the country" any time you want. Your concern is being able to get back *into* the country!

Ian
Old May 4th 2008, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

lily74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes. You will need your expired green card, the letter extending your status for one year (which you'll receive from USCIS after you file form I-751), and your unexpired foreign passport.

To be pedantic, you can "travel out of the country" any time you want. Your concern is being able to get back *into* the country!

Ian
Yes, you are right, that would be my main concern!!