I751 / N-600 / Cop

Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:33 am
Steve Hodgetts

Default I751 / N-600 / Cop

So I have filed my I-751 in May after been happily married for 2 years,
waiting on the INS to approve me; I have been riding with the local police
department on-duty, I want to join the reserve police force.

It would seem that I have to be a Naturalized Citizen to do this.

My question is this, when can I file my N600, can it be before May 2006; I
want to put my application for the reserves in as soon as I can... (i.e get
citizenship in May and not apply in May but get approved in September).

Thanks in advance for any help.
Steve

Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I751 / N-600 / Cop

Originally Posted by Steve Hodgetts
So I have filed my I-751 in May after been happily married for 2 years,
waiting on the INS to approve me; I have been riding with the local police
department on-duty, I want to join the reserve police force.

It would seem that I have to be a Naturalized Citizen to do this.

My question is this, when can I file my N600, can it be before May 2006; I
want to put my application for the reserves in as soon as I can... (i.e get
citizenship in May and not apply in May but get approved in September).

Thanks in advance for any help.
Steve
Hi Steve,

It's the N-400, not the N-600 for filing naturalization.

Based on marriage to a USC, and assuming you meet all the other qualifications, you are eligible to apply for citizenship 3 years after you became a Permanent Resident.

You can read about it at www.uscis.gov, How Do I Become a Citizen?

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 27th 2005, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Rukhie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steve and Noorah,

It's been a while since I've come to this site.

Noorah...I was under the impression that once you've been married to a USC for 3 years and your I-751 is pending....you can apply for N-400 (note in the application that your I-751 is pending and write the case number).

Please let me know if my thinking is wrong.

Rukhie

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Steve,

It's the N-400, not the N-600 for filing naturalization.

Based on marriage to a USC, and assuming you meet all the other qualifications, you are eligible to apply for citizenship 3 years after you became a Permanent Resident.

You can read about it at www.uscis.gov, How Do I Become a Citizen?

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 27th 2005, 2:48 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rukhie
.I was under the impression that once you've been married to a USC for 3 years and your I-751 is pending....you can apply for N-400 (note in the application that your I-751 is pending and write the case number).

Rukhie
That's correct. If you're applying for citizenship based on your marriage to a USC, you must have been a permanent resident for 3 years (minus 90 days) and still married to the USC before you are eligible for apply for citizenship. If your I-751 is pending at that time, then it's pending; it doesn't change the timeline for citizenship eligibility.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steve and Noorah,

It's been a while since I've come to this site.

Noorah...I was under the impression that once you've been married to a USC for 3 years and your I-751 is pending....you can apply for N-400 (note in the application that your I-751 is pending and write the case number).

Rukhie
Hi Rukhie,

The eligibity for citizenship is based on when you became a PR, and also marriage to the USC. If you've been a PR for 3 years, and still married to your USC spouse, you can apply for citizenship (there are some other criteria, but that's the gist of it). Yes, you can apply for citizenship even though your I-751 is still pending.

Basically, just what Jenney said.

Rene
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Please note that:

1. You must be a [C]PR for 3 years (less 90 days) and

2. Your marriage must have passed the third anniversary by the date you mail it in.

There are no exceptions to that when naturalizing based on marriage to a US Citizen.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Rukhie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Rukhie,

The eligibity for citizenship is based on when you became a PR, and also marriage to the USC. If you've been a PR for 3 years, and still married to your USC spouse, you can apply for citizenship (there are some other criteria, but that's the gist of it). Yes, you can apply for citizenship even though your I-751 is still pending.

Basically, just what Jenney said.

Rene

Thanks Guys!

I would have had my husband apply for citizenship at 3 years of marriage and 2 years of PR (I-751 pending)....good to know that you guys are here to help me from screwing up...hehe.

Thanks again!
Rukhie
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guys!

I would have had my husband apply for citizenship at 3 years of marriage and 2 years of PR (I-751 pending)....good to know that you guys are here to help me from screwing up...hehe.

Thanks again!
Rukhie

Cannot be 2 years of PR ... must be at minimum 3 years, less 90 days of PR/CPR status.