Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I130s posted-next steps??

I130s posted-next steps??

Old Sep 19th 2011, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

cherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nice
Default I130s posted-next steps??

Hi,
My husband has posted our I130 applications (he is in usa I am in UK )...can anyone advise next step or recommend a good step by step guide for CR1 application thru to visa approval (fingers crossed).

I have been reading various web pages and it looks like we now sit and wait for I-797 and then after hear from NVC. Will NVC provide us with instructions on next forms to fill etc etc.

Many thanks for any help given.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:18 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I130s posted-next steps??

Originally Posted by cherh66
...can anyone advise next step or recommend a good step by step guide for CR1 application thru to visa approval (fingers crossed).
Have you read our Wiki - it's pretty comprehensive?

I have been reading various web pages and it looks like we now sit and wait for I-797 and then after hear from NVC.
Y'see... you already have a good grasp of things!

Will NVC provide us with instructions on next forms to fill etc etc.
Once NVC is finished, you will recieve a note that the I-130 has been approved (hopefully, eh? ) and has been sent to London. That's the end of NVC's involvement... the next steps will be info coming from London. At any rate, you've got about a 4 month wait from now until the I-130 is approved... so you've got lots of time!

Ian
Old Sep 19th 2011, 2:04 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I join in recommending looking at the wiki.

Once the approved petitions reach the NVC, they will send instructions to your spouse and to you. The NVC will solicit and obtain the I-864 affidavit[s] of support. The NVC will also solicit the supporting documentation such as birth certificates, necessary police clearances, etc. Once you are done with NVC the case is sent to London.

In London, there will be a medical followed by an interview.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 2:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Once NVC is finished, you will recieve a note that the I-130 has been approved (hopefully, eh? ) and has been sent to London. That's the end of NVC's involvement... the next steps will be info coming from London.
Ian, I'm a little confused by this paragraph.

The note that the I-130 is approved comes from USCIS and happens before the case moves to NVC.

There are several steps through NVC, such as submitting the I-864, paying fees, and submitting original civil documents. Once all that is done, and the medical is done also, NVC sets the London appointment date and then sends the physical case on to London.

Rene
Old Sep 19th 2011, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Ian, I'm a little confused by this paragraph.
Ah damn... it was early, and I hadn't yet had any coffee!

Ian
Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ian
I figured as much.

Rene
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:19 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Excuses, excuses. I recommend an IV drip.

Regards, JEff

Ian
Old Sep 20th 2011, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cherh66
Hi,
My husband has posted our I130 applications (he is in usa I am in UK )...can anyone advise next step or recommend a good step by step guide for CR1 application thru to visa approval (fingers crossed).

I have been reading various web pages and it looks like we now sit and wait for I-797 and then after hear from NVC. Will NVC provide us with instructions on next forms to fill etc etc.

Many thanks for any help given.
I waited until we were about 2-3 months into the wait before I started on the next steps. At which point I had done-

-Sent off for police record (with passport pic signed by my doctor), paid an extra 5quid for an additional copy
-Had vaccinations at doctors I needed, and got printout of proof
-Ensured we had all our civil documents photocopied (marriage cert, long form birth cert)
- Started familiarizing myself more with the I-864 forms, and the DS-230, We ended up using the I-864EZ, which is for people who dont need additional/joint sponsors, and a few other criteria.

Then around the 4 1/2 month mark we had our petition approved and hit the NVC stage
Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

cherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nice

As always guys.....a great help!! Things r becomin clearer....at last. 4 month wait? As I expected....plenty of clothes shopping to fill the days I think (recommended by another member....thank u!)
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 6:17 pm
Banned

Roys is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering if you can help I have sent in my I-130 and was hoping to start getting my police cert. and other forms filled out. But I have been told that the police cert might have a time limit is this true and if so what is it?

Are there any other forms we can start filling in coping etc? (we have copies of the normal marrage / birth certs etc). Also my wonderfull wife who is from PA tells me that i should look at getting my British style (and long) CV turned into a resume (I was told that it should be around one page long not my 4 pages) any ideas on what i need to include just another job i can do before we move. The idea being to get it blanket e-mailed out in the last few days before we move so with luck I can get interviews soon after landing.

We are both checking the uscis site for a processing date but it does not seem to be updated is the normal? we only applied 5weeks ago and are getting worried that the dates dont seem to update.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roys
I was wondering if you can help I have sent in my I-130 and was hoping to start getting my police cert. and other forms filled out. But I have been told that the police cert might have a time limit is this true and if so what is it?
It bears a six month validity, however the Embassy will accept it for up to a year after it was issued, so you can go ahead and do that now.

Are there any other forms we can start filling in coping etc? (we have copies of the normal marrage / birth certs etc).
Is your birth certificate the "long form" (showing your parents' names)? If not, you will need to get a long form from the General Register Office in Kew. You can do this by post.

We are both checking the uscis site for a processing date but it does not seem to be updated is the normal? we only applied 5weeks ago and are getting worried that the dates dont seem to update.
Did you file via the DHS office in the US Embassy in London (what's sometimes wrongly called "Direct Consular Filing" or DCF)? If so I don't think the USCIS site covers you - you need to check the US Embassy site and by all accounts it's not updated very often. It'll probably take a couple of months more at least before you get your approval notice.

Another RoyS
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 7:14 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Check the British Expats Wiki and the NVC's Immigrant Visa Processing web pages at travel.state.gov (even if the I-130 was submitted by 'DCF' - same forms and documentation, it's just a matter of where and when they get submitted).
Are there any other forms we can start filling in coping etc? (we have copies of the normal marrage / birth certs etc).
She's correct. There are any number of resources you can look at for opinions as to what is the 'style du jour', but in general I believe it involves identifying work achievements rather than chronologically listing past employers and job responsibilities. Also, 'blanket' e-mailing, or postal mailing, is out. Customized resumes individually tailored to the particular company and position have a better chance of avoiding the circular file. Use the same key words as are used in the job posting.
Also my wonderfull wife who is from PA tells me that i should look at getting my British style (and long) CV turned into a resume (I was told that it should be around one page long not my 4 pages) any ideas on what i need to include just another job i can do before we move. The idea being to get it blanket e-mailed out in the last few days before we move so with luck I can get interviews soon after landing.

Regards, JEff