Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I want to immigrate to Florida - 22 years old - need advise and information please!

Wikiposts

I want to immigrate to Florida - 22 years old - need advise and information please!

Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

danieluk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I want to immigrate to Florida - 22 years old - need advise and information pleas

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You are basing this upon the word of a teenager who is sneaking around behind her parents' backs to meet up with a much older man from across the ocean. A lot of teenagers are a little prone to exaggerate about how horrible their parents are. Tread carefully here -- you would be much better served by suggesting that she take the matter up with a school guidance counselor. There are people out there who could help her.
Just to answer this - I've seen some of this abuse with my own eyes. Often when she is on her laptop talking with me, she will secretly have her webcam on so I can see her and in more than one instance, I've heard/seen some of the mistreatment and even recorded an incident once using Jing.

Also if you could see how thin she is, it would be obvious that she is not being fed right. When I visited her, I was feeding her almost every time we hung out - she must have gained 3 or 4 pounds just while I was there. Before I left, I even gave her a few hundred dollars so she can buy food and snacks while she is not home.

But yes, I've already told her to see her guidence counselor - I do not plan to mention the emancipation thing to her, unless things get worse in which case I might suggest she call social services or childline or something like that. I'd rather not see her put into the system though. Emancipation would be the best option for her in terms of her maturity, independance, et cetera, rather than being put into the foster care system or whatever.

Last edited by danieluk; Mar 26th 2012 at 5:06 am.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to immigrate to Florida - 22 years old - need advise and information pleas

Originally Posted by zach21uk
So lots of interesting information.
Interesting, but much of it is incorrect. Get a second opinion (and maybe third) before doing anything.

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:13 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... and that even if its denied outright, there is an extensive appeals process that he could go through to ensure that its granted.
This is an absolute lie. There is no appeal process whatsoever for a denial based on an adjustment while you were on the VWP. You sign away all your rights when you enter the US on the VWP.

The guy is an idiot, as I suspected.

Ian
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:22 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

It was a two hour meeting
This is getting a little strange -- in your first post you are worrying about being together, then it turns out that you are in Florida right now. At 9 am you are on here asking questions, then by 12:30 you have managed to spend two hours with an immigration lawyer who has a lot of things incorrect . . . perhaps that's why he was so instantly available . . . or . . . . Just sayin' . . . .
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Interesting, but much of it is incorrect. Get a second opinion (and maybe third) before doing anything.

Rene
I plan to seek a second opinion when I am back in the US later this year.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
At 9 am you are on here asking questions, then by 12:30 you have managed to spend two hours with an immigration lawyer who has a lot of things incorrect . . . perhaps that's why he was so instantly available . . . or . . . . Just sayin' . . . .
Yes at 9am I was on here, then at 9.15am I got a call from an attorney here whom I'd left a message with yesterday, telling me he had had a cancellation and could see me at 10am, so I drove to see him, chatted from 10am until 11:50am, then drove 10 minutes back here, used the restroom, checked my email and came online.

Whats strange about that?

I took an audio recording of most of the meeting, and might be willing to share this when I get back home.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I took an audio recording of most of the meeting, and might be willing to share this when I get back home.
Wow...does the lawyer know you did that, and that you plan to possibly share that information on the internet? Usually when lawyers speak behind closed doors, they expect it to stay that way.

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding marriage, he said that is we want to plan out a SOLID and definite date where we wish to get married, that we should get a K1 when the time comes, but that if for example we marry spontaniously without pre-meditation during one of my VW 90 day visits after she turns 18, that in 9.5 out of 10 cases, I could successfully get a permanent stay and that even if its denied outright, there is an extensive appeals process that he could go through to ensure that its granted.
He be lying about the extensive appeals process on the VWP, you signed that right away when you enter on the VWP.

Sure, chances of getting caught are small, but that doesn't mean you don't get caught.

Also, be very suspicious of any one telling you it's okay to work while in the US whilst on the VWP.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

Wow...does the lawyer know you did that, and that you plan to possibly share that information on the internet? Usually when lawyers speak behind closed doors, they expect it to stay that way.

Rene
He knows I recorded it, yes. But I said I MAY share it here because I need to check into the legalities of doing so. If I cannot share it, I will at the very least, write down transcripts of the important parts so I can post word for word what I was told. I was summarizing before so I may have mis-remembered things or confused various bits of information.

How come some folks here seem so hostile? I'm sensing alot of negativity here and all I am looking for is information. Innocently and honestly.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
He be lying about the extensive appeals process on the VWP, you signed that right away when you enter on the VWP.
Yeah I was thinking about that. I will email the attorney and ask him to clear this up. I might have misunderstood him
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:45 am

He knows I recorded it, yes. But I said I MAY share it here because I need to check into the legalities of doing so. If I cannot share it, I will at the very least, write down transcripts of the important parts so I can post word for word what I was told. I was summarizing before so I may have mis-remembered things or confused various bits of information.
Posting a transcript of what was said is the same as posting the recording. Get the lawyer's permission first, before you do either one. He may retract some of the things he told you when the meeting was private.

How come some folks here seem so hostile? I'm sensing alot of negativity here and all I am looking for is information. Innocently and honestly.
We tend to get our guard up when we start hearing things that can be construed as bordering on illegal...such as adjusting status from the VWP, working while visiting the USA, plus the fact that your girlfriend is underage at the moment....we just don't want you to get in trouble. When we hear someone advising you to do something that can get you in trouble, we get a bit more forward and outspoken with our thoughts. Please don't take that as hostility or negativity. It's just us trying to keep you in a position where you won't get into any trouble.

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

I don't think any one is hostile but just trying to give rational, rather than emotional advice... everyone has been a teenager and experienced that all consuming love, that you feel like you'll die if you aren't with that person all the time. The sad truth is that most of the time it then goes away, often just as suddenly (you've only known each other for a few months - in the grand scheme of things, that's a very short term relationship). Hopefully in your case you'll be together forever but no need to rush anything until you're sure - stay in the UK for now, visit each other. Maybe pay for her to visit you occasionally too, thus limiting the amount of VWP time you're using. If you are meant to be together, you will definitely survive a year or two of long distance and you can then go about this in the most sensible way possible, a marriage visa, when you are naturally ready to be getting married. Any other visa you could be getting in a hurry leaves leaves you open to a potentially worse immigration situation and possibilities of regrets (which again i'm sure lots of people on here have from similar scenarios!)
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

We tend to get our guard up when we start hearing things that can be construed as bordering on illegal...such as adjusting status from the VWP, working while visiting the USA, plus the fact that your girlfriend is underage at the moment....we just don't want you to get in trouble. When we hear someone advising you to do something that can get you in trouble, we get a bit more forward and outspoken with our thoughts. Please don't take that as hostility or negativity. It's just us trying to keep you in a position where you won't get into any trouble.
OK thank you - I appreciate you explaining. I am aware that my girlfriend is underage and of the taboo regarding that, but I hope you all believe me when I say that we are being very careful about what we do so as not to break any laws.

We do not want to break any laws - we just want to be together, get married, and begin spending our lifes together.

I will definetly seek a second opinion when possible - probably not until I am back in the US in June, however if I can speak to another attorney sooner than that, I will.

I am at Orlando Airport at the moment waiting for my flight in a little bit, so I'll be offline very soon but I'll keep an eye here until I loose my wi-fi
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You can take it how you like, and I'm sure it seems more harsh in the written word, but really, people are trying to help, to give you the best advice, legally, free.

What you do with it and what the lawyer tells you is purely up to you, and me personally, I don't give a toss either way, it's not my life nor back that would be up against it if you chose to act on any information you act on, whether it be good, bad, wrong, illegal or just misunderstood information.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

I will definetly seek a second opinion when possible - probably not until I am back in the US in June, however if I can speak to another attorney sooner than that, I will.
US immigration is federal, so you can chat to a immigration lawyer where ever, plenty would be open to a phone conversation, skype or even email. You could even speak to a few based in England, London most likely, but they do tend to be more expensive because of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.