Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I want to immigrate to Florida - 22 years old - need advise and information please!

Wikiposts

I want to immigrate to Florida - 22 years old - need advise and information please!

Old Mar 25th 2012, 3:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to immigrate to Florida - 22 years old - need advise and information pleas

Originally Posted by Bob
Doesn't she need to be 18 to sign the K1 visa to begin with? Certainly to be the sponsor.
I don't think so. I think in a recent thread this question was raised, and nowhere on the I-129F did it say one has to be 18 to sign it. Also, someone else can be the financial sponsor and sign the I-134, she doesn't have to do it. By the time he gets to the USA and marries her, she will be 18 and can sign the I-864, which one does have to be 18 to sign.

Rene
Old Mar 25th 2012, 3:58 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to immigrate to Florida - 22 years old - need advise and information pleas

sponsor completes and signs Form I-864. A sponsor is
required to be at least 18 years old and domiciled in the
United States, or its territories or possessions

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864instr.pdf
Old Mar 25th 2012, 4:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
sponsor completes and signs Form I-864. A sponsor is
required to be at least 18 years old and domiciled in the
United States, or its territories or possessions

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864instr.pdf
True, however, when doing a K-1 fiance visa, they can plan it so that the I-864 is not due until after she turns 18.

The Affidavit of Support for the K-1 visa is the I-134, which she does not have to complete...someone else can be the sponsor for that one.

Rene
Old Mar 25th 2012, 4:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
True, however, when doing a K-1 fiance visa, they can plan it so that the I-864 is not due until after she turns 18.

The Affidavit of Support for the K-1 visa is the I-134, which she does not have to complete...someone else can be the sponsor for that one.

Rene
That why the 134 is not a legal contract
Old Mar 25th 2012, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

wait until she turns 18. it'll all have fizzled out by then anyway.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

in another forum you are 24 and "I do not take marriage so lightly, and would never count on meeting someone as an option"

dude you have to learn where immigration is concerned you have to tell the truth the whole truth and.....

maybe you were embarrassed to give your real age, but you cant get proper help if people only get half the facts
Old Mar 25th 2012, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
in another forum you are 24 and "I do not take marriage so lightly, and would never count on meeting someone as an option"

dude you have to learn where immigration is concerned you have to tell the truth the whole truth and.....

maybe you were embarrassed to give your real age, but you cant get proper help if people only get half the facts
It's OK. The 16.5 year old girl is probably a 47 year old man anyway.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

danieluk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday

Sorry, on the other forum my age is a typo - I am 22 (28-04-1990). With regard to my situation - I did want to try and pursue gaining a visa on my own wings to begin with, which is why I didnt mention my girlfriend in the other forum. After researching so much about immigration online, the "wind" got knocked out from under my wings a little and I realized that I may indeed have to wait to get married to my girlfriend before we can be together.

If it were legal, we would marry today - not to get me a visa (although we obviously would), but because we love each other so, however, given that this is not an option at the moment, I am searching for any and all other ways to get over to the US and be closer to her.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
wait until she turns 18. it'll all have fizzled out by then anyway.
You are entitled to your opinion. Given your pessimism, I can only deduce that you either do not believe in true love, or have never experienced such overwhelming, amazing and wonderfully strong love before.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 12:47 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zach21uk
Can you tell me about the financial sponsoring?
If you marry, your (then) wife will be required to sign a binding contract with the US government (I-864) that states that she will be financially responsible for you. She must demonstrate income at (currently) $18,912 or assets at 3x that amount ($56,736) or some combination thereof (see form I-864P). Your income is irrelevant.

If your (then) wife does not have either sufficient income or assets to meet the requirements, then you will need a joint sponsor. The joint sponsor can be any USC or PR, over age 18, and who lives in the US. It can be anyone at all. The joint sponsor must then also sign a binding contract with the US government and must earn sufficient income to cover their household size + you... or have assets at 5x the income amount to cover their household size + you. Again, your income is irrelevant.

If your (then) spouse does not have sufficient income/assets and you can not find a joint sponsor with sufficient income/assets... then that's the end of the journey for you. There is no way around the financial sponsorship requirement. End of story.

I should point out, since you mention it so often... the US government doesn't care whether or not you love each other. Love is not a requirement and is not a part of the equation. It's irrelevant for US immigration purposes. As TT sang, "What's love got to do with it?"

Ian
Old Mar 26th 2012, 12:50 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

You are entitled to your opinion. Given your pessimism, I can only deduce that you either do not believe in true love, or have never experienced such overwhelming, amazing and wonderfully strong love before.
I can see why you view it as pessimism, you're (understandably) wrapped up in the situation. Can you remember when you were 16 (going on 25 in your head)? I sure can, and I am sure I thought I was in love at the time, and people just didn't understand. Then I went to university. Things changed a lot! What seems like pessimism may also be someone trying to caution you that things may well change in a relatively short space of time.

However, you didn't come on here to get relationship advice, and hopefully you have the immigration advice you asked for.

You may well be in love, as might she - that isn't fo us to judge. I wish you both the best of luck with it all, and long and happy lives together.

What about her coming over to the UK? It is legal to marry someone who is 16 in the UK if her parents give their consent (I think).
Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

danieluk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you marry, your (then) wife will be required to sign a binding contract with the US government (I-864) that states that she will be financially responsible for you. She must demonstrate income at (currently) $18,912 or assets at 3x that amount ($56,736) or some combination thereof (see form I-864P). Your income is irrelevant.

If your (then) wife does not have either sufficient income or assets to meet the requirements, then you will need a joint sponsor. The joint sponsor can be any USC or PR, over age 18, and who lives in the US. It can be anyone at all. The joint sponsor must then also sign a binding contract with the US government and must earn sufficient income to cover their household size + you... or have assets at 5x the income amount to cover their household size + you. Again, your income is irrelevant.

If your (then) spouse does not have sufficient income/assets and you can not find a joint sponsor with sufficient income/assets... then that's the end of the journey for you. There is no way around the financial sponsorship requirement. End of story.

I should point out, since you mention it so often... the US government doesn't care whether or not you love each other. Love is not a requirement and is not a part of the equation. It's irrelevant for US immigration purposes. As TT sang, "What's love got to do with it?"

Ian
Could I transfer assets (money) into her name to the value of $56,736?

Also, on the instructions for form "I-864" on the USCIS website, under "What If I cannot meet the Income Requirements" it states:

If your income alone is not sufficient to meet the requirement for your household size, the intending immigrant will be ineligible for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status, unless the requirement can be met using any combination of the following:
One of the options is:

Income from the intending immigrant, if that income will continue from the same source after immigration, and if the intending immigrant is currently living in your residence. If the intending immigrant is your spouse, his or her income can be counted regardless of current residence, but it must continue from the same source after he or she becomes a lawful permanent resident.
Could this be applied to our situation?
Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: I want to immigrate to Florida - 22 years old - need advise and information pleas

Are you out of your mind????????

Jim
Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:15 am

Also, on the instructions for form "I-864" on the USCIS website, under "What If I cannot meet the Income Requirements" it states:

One of the options is:

Before you ask any more questions about financial sponsorship, you should first research the K-1 visa. You are asking questions that aren't really applicable to the K-1 visa. None of this financial sponsorship stuff is going to be due for another almost 2 years. A lot can change before then regarding your income, her income, and immigration income requirements in general.

At the moment, you don't need to take any action on financial matters at all. Don't transfer money, etc. Why not back up just a little and do more research on the K-1 visa first. You are jumping ahead to when the I-864 is due (which is not due until after you come to the USA on the K-1, marry, and apply to adjust status).

To give you a hint, you FIRST need to read about the I-134, which is the affidavit of support associated with the K-1 visa. Once you find a way to deal with that one, and you then realize you'll be a married couple by the time the I-864 is due, it all might make more sense to you, and you'll see how your assets/income can be used as well.

Actually, you should really be using this thread as a means to find OTHER ways of immigrating to the USA. Ask your marriage-based questions over in the US Marriage Based forum here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forum...f=35&styleid=6

All these questions about K-1, I-864, etc, all belong over in that forum.

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

One of the options is:

Unlikely. Since you won't immediately be work authorized you won't have that income. It's generally used for something like a pension.

I think you have to accept that you really have no option other than short vacations every now and again. Even when she turns of age, it won't be an easy task getting a K-1. It may prove to be impossible for a good number of years.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Unlikely. Since you won't immediately be work authorized you won't have that income. It's generally used for something like a pension.

I think you have to accept that you really have no option other than short vacations every now and again.
I agree.

Even when she turns of age, it won't be an easy task getting a K-1. It may prove to be impossible for a good number of years.
I disagree with this one. A K-1 visa is fairly easy, as long as you follow all the instructions and you both qualify. Not sure why you think it would be impossible for a number of years even after she turns 18.

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.