Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I see you guys managed to lock up a thread all by yourselves

Wikiposts

I see you guys managed to lock up a thread all by yourselves

Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:32 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I see you guys managed to lock up a thread all by yourselves

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Leslie,

Closing a thread on BE does not close it on Usenet, where the real thread exists. Defaria and Key are Usenet posters.

Apparently, closing a thread on BE also does not stop BE from importing new Usenet posts to the thread.

Regards, JEff
Hi JEff,

Yeah I knew that it lived on forever in usenet. It was the importing thingy that I didn't know about. I've never seen a locked thread that keeps fighting to stay alive. Actually, it's kind of creeping me out.

Leslie
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:53 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Leslie,

I may be getting over my head here, but I believe that a thread, or posts to a thread, do not live forever on Usenet. They live on for only as long as the particular newsgroup server that a Usenet poster uses to access Usenet keeps a backlog of posts.

Where posts live 'forever' is on Google, which is a web portal to Usenet (as is BE). Google archives posts, and their archives (originally Deja-news archives) go back ... 'forever'.

Anyway, it's not the 'forever' part that allows new posts to the thread. It's the fact that BE is not the only means to access the thread, so anyone not using BE can continue to post to the thread.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Leslie66
Hi JEff,

Yeah I knew that it lived on forever in usenet. It was the importing thingy that I didn't know about. I've never seen a locked thread that keeps fighting to stay alive. Actually, it's kind of creeping me out.

Leslie
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:56 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if you're over your head, but your definitely over mine. I don't even understand how the internet works and I damn sure don't know how a bunch of letters and symbols turn in to a puking smilie.

Leslie

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Leslie,

I may be getting over my head here, but I believe that a thread, or posts to a thread, do not live forever on Usenet. They live on for only as long as the particular newsgroup server that a Usenet poster uses to access Usenet keeps a backlog of posts.

Where posts live 'forever' is on Google, which is a web portal to Usenet (as is BE). Google archives posts, and their archives (originally Deja-news archives) go back ... 'forever'.

Anyway, it's not the 'forever' part that allows new posts to the thread. It's the fact that BE is not the only means to access the thread, so anyone not using BE can continue to post to the thread.

Regards, JEff
Old Dec 4th 2003, 12:56 pm
Andrew Defaria

Leslie66 wrote:

> I don't know if you're over your head, but your definitely over mine.
    > I don't even understand how the internet works and I damn sure
    > don't know how a bunch of letters and symbols turn in to a puking smilie.

If it's any consolation, for me, they don't! :-)

Old Dec 4th 2003, 1:35 pm
WTF?

Originally posted by Andrew Defaria
Leslie66 wrote:

> I don't know if you're over your head, but your definitely over mine.
    > I don't even understand how the internet works and I damn sure
    > don't know how a bunch of letters and symbols turn in to a puking smilie.

If it's any consolation, for me, they don't! :-)

Aaaaawwww, Andrew that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling all over.