Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I have a conditional green card expiring whilst I’m in uk

I have a conditional green card expiring whilst I’m in uk

Old Apr 1st 2020, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Racheld26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have a conditional green card expiring whilst I’m in uk

So I came to America & my husband & I got married & I got a 2 year conditional green card, this expires May 2nd. Anyway to cut a long story short, I came home last April to see my mom as she was having a tough time, whilst I was home in England we found out I was pregnant. After visiting my Dr I was considered high risk due to this & having experienced a late term miscarriage the year before in the US we decided to not risk travelling & just return when baby was born. Anyway when baby was born we both were poorly & had a lengthy stay in hospital.
when I told my health visitor our plans on returning to the US at around 8 weeks she advised we couldn’t travel until baby had vaccinations etc. Anyway baby has her last vaccine next week & we were supposed to leave the end of the month only now I’M PETRIFIED! I’m so scared of flying with a young baby with Covid19 circulating the air! Like I would not forgive myself I’d anything happened to her. Is there anything I can do? So I don’t loose my residence card?
Old Apr 1st 2020, 12:57 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have a conditional green card expiring whilst I’m in uk

Have you not filed for ROC even while in the UK? There is no reason (ZERO) that you should not have done so.

I would recommend that you file immediately. Mail the petition to the US addres ASAP with as much evidence as you can muster while in the UK.

If your card expires before the ROC form is received, you will need to do the whole CR/IR1 application process again unless USCIS announces some sort of extension due to COVID-19. Unlike with a regular GC, where the card is just evidence of the status, not the status itself, in this case your status expires at the same time as the card unless you apply to remove conditions.

Last edited by civilservant; Apr 1st 2020 at 12:59 pm. Reason: Realized OP stated a date in post
Old Apr 1st 2020, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
Have you not filed for ROC even while in the UK? There is no reason (ZERO) that you should not have done so.

I would recommend that you file immediately. Mail the petition to the US addres ASAP with as much evidence as you can muster while in the UK.

If your card expires before the ROC form is received, you will need to do the whole CR/IR1 application process again unless USCIS announces some sort of extension due to COVID-19. Unlike with a regular GC, where the card is just evidence of the status, not the status itself, in this case your status expires at the same time as the card unless you apply to remove conditions.
- I read that you applied for the conditions to be removed 90 days before. So we were planning on doing it once we got back into the USA. Is that what you mean?
Old Apr 1st 2020, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Racheld26
- I read that you applied for the conditions to be removed 90 days before. So we were planning on doing it once we got back into the USA. Is that what you mean?
like I don’t know what ROC IS
Old Apr 1st 2020, 1:06 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that's what I mean. File now, don't wait, and send it certified or tracked or whatever to the US mailing address.

When they accept it and process your payment, they will mail a letter extending your status for 12 months. You may well need that to get back into the US depending on how long and it what form travel restrictions remain.

I don't know what ROC is
Removal of Conditions. Form I-751.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
Yes that's what I mean. File now, don't wait, and send it certified or tracked or whatever to the US mailing address.

When they accept it and process your payment, they will mail a letter extending your status for 12 months. You may well need that to get back into the US depending on how long and it what form travel restrictions remain.

Removal of Conditions. Form I-751.
thanks for your advice, I’m so confused can you tell me what form it is please.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 3:29 pm
Often not so civil...

I already said. I-751.

Breathe. You don't need to make a mistake on the form or do something silly like forget to include the payment. Just read it, read it again, and ask here if you have questions. It's pretty straightforward.

You really need to get it filed ASAP though, who knows how long the international mail is or might be delayed because of the virus?
Old Apr 1st 2020, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, I’m sorry. I literally hate doing all this stuff for the visa. I thought you had to go for an interview to get conditions removed? I’m sorry for all the questions I just feel so stressed! 😩😔
Old Apr 1st 2020, 3:40 pm
Often not so civil...

That's correct, you do, but that is months away, maybe even as much as a year or so. Not something to be concerned about right now.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 3:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The only issue I can see is that she might not be able to attend the biometrics appointment if she's still stuck in the UK. But that can also keep getting postponed if needed.

Rene
Old Apr 1st 2020, 4:32 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Your concerns are more than valid and you ask good questions. Although your questions are good, you are getting some quite bad misinformation. I believe that your situation raises other issues which I do not see being addressed.

I strongly advise that your situation is one in need of competent advice and legal handholding by a good immigration lawyer.
<<<snip>>>

Good luck.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 3rd 2020 at 12:37 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 4:38 pm
Often not so civil...

I believe that your situation raises other issues which I do not see being addressed.
Which are?!?!?!

Honestly - how you expect the forum is improve by just saying 'they're wrong, but I won't say how' is beyond me and has been for a few years at this point.

If you had your way all the US section of BE would be is a single line:

'Consult an experienced immigration attorney. Furthermore deponent sayeth not'
Old Apr 1st 2020, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

The first issue that comes to my mind is abandonment of status - it sounds like you've been outside the USA for over a year now which could be a problem.

Sorry, not trying to add more worry at what must be a stressful time but it needs mentioning

Last edited by Olly_; Apr 1st 2020 at 4:55 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

To be fair with so little information it can be difficult to provide solid responses, for example was a Reentry Permit obtained? Is Healthcare in the UK being obtained as a non resident?
Old Apr 1st 2020, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
To be fair with so little information it can be difficult to provide solid responses, for example was a Reentry Permit obtained? Is Healthcare in the UK being obtained as a non resident?

The fact that the OP is worried about losing her US status leads one to believe she has no Re-entry permit,

She is probably using the NHS for maternity services as she is living with her mother in the UK - she probably did not cancel her GP registration when she left - just picked it up again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.