Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I got my AOS for Green Card today

I got my AOS for Green Card today

Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:50 am
Married to Sigrid

Fireman543 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I got my AOS for Green Card today

Well we went to Philadelphia last night stayed overnight in Best Western as usual on our trips to Callowhill. Today extreme cold weather wind chill making it feel like 18deg F so got taxi to Callowhill for interview appointment at 11am.
arrived at 1045 went straight in suprise suprise no queues with those temperatures they must have felt sorry for the people who are normally queueing. Went through security then to the 3rd floor by lift. Very pleasant man with his cup of Wawa coffee in the lift told us where to book in. Gave invite letter in to the reception desk the lady said have a seat and you will be called in. Our officer according to the letter was Officer C. the door to the inner sanctum opened a number of times as people were called to get their EAD's renewed or issued then spot on 11am the door opened and our name was called. Suprise suprise it was our nice man from the lift Officer Walsh. He asked me to sign a form front and back in a tiny metal slot then took my finger print. We then went to his interview room and he asked us to raise our right hands and swear that we would tell the truth, and then invited us to sit down. He had my/our file in front of him and he asked us for my passport, he asked us both general questions with regard to answers we had given in our written documents, especially how we had met. He also asked had we been out of the USA especially Canada and Mexico. He asked for our marriage certificate, our divorce documents and financial documents, we also gave him the letters from friends and Sigrids workmates He then said he would just take these all away to get copies he took the whole lot away and after about 5 minutes he was back and he then handed me my passport and congratulated me on being accepted as a permanent resident in USA and told me to expect my green card in a time scale up to 8 months. He told me I could now work if I wished and travel to and from the USA freely. He then said have a great day and off we went to celebrate with a cup of Wawa Cappacino. A couple of tips from the interview if you can take everything they ask for and if you can make copies of each item do so. have it filed in a form you can find it easily. I felt a prize pratt trying to find the Marriage document as I thought I had brought a copy of the actual marriage certificate and had not. Anyway the waiting is now over and we are pleased that it all went smoothly. We wish all of you have yet to go through the system good luck and we hope it is a smooth for you as it was for us.
Brian (UK&USA) Sigrid (USA)
Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

grioghair is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I got my AOS for Green Card today

I'm glad it went so well for you today - I have some way to go yet. When I started out going to Immigration I was very nervous - but I am getting calmer with each visit. It is almost as if the more knowledge I accumulate, the more calm I am.

For me it will probably end at the end of April - that is the latest date at which I can be approved...all processing is taking 210 days at the moment, and they accepted my case in late September.

How did it go for you both? Were you calm on the day...or was there still a little trepidation there?

What happens next then? Are you considering going for naturalisation?

Time for celebration.

Good luck to you both,

Steve
Old Jan 11th 2004, 2:21 pm
Married to Sigrid

Fireman543 is an unknown quantity at this point

HI Steve well it was the coldest day of the year till then, we were numb from the cold and we really did not get nervous till we had thawed out and sat down in the office and he asked for the marriage docs. I was searching through all my papers looking for it (the actual marriage certificate copy) and missing the official forms signed by the Mayor each time. Then it dawned on me so I produced them and he was satisfied. He copied all the docs we gave to him during the interview, which was about 10 minutes. Now I have to wait for the actual green card and that was promised in about 8 months time, I dont see how a piece of plastic can take so long to produce. As to naturalisation well that is in the future but will probably go for it, but will keep a dual nationality I think, will wait and see how things go till then. But you wont have a problem I am sure, just take everything they ask for in the letter. If you can, make duplicates of all important documents so you keep the originals and they have your copies.
We wish you good luck with your AOS interview
Brian UK & Sigrid USA
Old Jan 11th 2004, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

grioghair is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Fireman543
HI Steve well it was the coldest day of the year till then, we were numb from the cold and we really did not get nervous till we had thawed out and sat down in the office and he asked for the marriage docs. I was searching through all my papers looking for it (the actual marriage certificate copy) and missing the official forms signed by the Mayor each time. Then it dawned on me so I produced them and he was satisfied. He copied all the docs we gave to him during the interview, which was about 10 minutes. Now I have to wait for the actual green card and that was promised in about 8 months time, I dont see how a piece of plastic can take so long to produce. As to naturalisation well that is in the future but will probably go for it, but will keep a dual nationality I think, will wait and see how things go till then. But you wont have a problem I am sure, just take everything they ask for in the letter. If you can, make duplicates of all important documents so you keep the originals and they have your copies.
We wish you good luck with your AOS interview
Brian UK & Sigrid USA
I have already sent in copies of everything they requested - with the possible exception of the tax forms...I could only find the years 2002, 2001 and 1999. (2000 was nowhere to be found.) Everything else they have. Of course, after I filed the papers I read that you should really keep copies of everything you have filed - too late now.

I am still waiting to hear the results of my fingerprinting...and because I am being processed through the district office, I have no case number to check the status.

I have one thing on my side, though...my wife says that if Immigration throws me out of the country she is going to kill every single one of them. (Maybe that will sway their decision, somewhat.)

Once again, congratulations on your progress.

Steve

Last edited by grioghair; Jan 11th 2004 at 4:53 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Well we went to Philadelphia last night stayed overnight in Best Western as usual on our trips to Callowhill. Today extreme cold weather wind chill making it feel like 18deg F so got taxi to Callowhill for interview appointment at 11am.
arrived at 1045 went straight in suprise suprise no queues with those temperatures they must have felt sorry for the people who are normally queueing. Went through security then to the 3rd floor by lift. Very pleasant man with his cup of Wawa coffee in the lift told us where to book in. Gave invite letter in to the reception desk the lady said have a seat and you will be called in. Our officer according to the letter was Officer C. the door to the inner sanctum opened a number of times as people were called to get their EAD's renewed or issued then spot on 11am the door opened and our name was called. Suprise suprise it was our nice man from the lift Officer Walsh. He asked me to sign a form front and back in a tiny metal slot then took my finger print. We then went to his interview room and he asked us to raise our right hands and swear that we would tell the truth, and then invited us to sit down. He had my/our file in front of him and he asked us for my passport, he asked us both general questions with regard to answers we had given in our written documents, especially how we had met. He also asked had we been out of the USA especially Canada and Mexico. He asked for our marriage certificate, our divorce documents and financial documents, we also gave him the letters from friends and Sigrids workmates He then said he would just take these all away to get copies he took the whole lot away and after about 5 minutes he was back and he then handed me my passport and congratulated me on being accepted as a permanent resident in USA and told me to expect my green card in a time scale up to 8 months. He told me I could now work if I wished and travel to and from the USA freely. He then said have a great day and off we went to celebrate with a cup of Wawa Cappacino. A couple of tips from the interview if you can take everything they ask for and if you can make copies of each item do so. have it filed in a form you can find it easily. I felt a prize pratt trying to find the Marriage document as I thought I had brought a copy of the actual marriage certificate and had not. Anyway the waiting is now over and we are pleased that it all went smoothly. We wish all of you have yet to go through the system good luck and we hope it is a smooth for you as it was for us.
Good luck with your AOS interview. Keep us posted please....
Old Jan 11th 2004, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

JacquelineH is just really niceJacquelineH is just really niceJacquelineH is just really niceJacquelineH is just really niceJacquelineH is just really niceJacquelineH is just really niceJacquelineH is just really niceJacquelineH is just really nice

Hello there and Congratulations to you and yours. Take care of eachother,
Regards
JacquelineH