Reload this Page >

I don't know what to do..

I don't know what to do..

Old Jun 1st 2012, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

southern_winter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I don't know what to do..

Hey guys,

I need some real help and major advice right now. It's hard for me to find out what my chances are with getting a US visa as my experiences are really different to most peoples.

I am 25 and I have a degree in social science and I am desperate to move to Los Angeles. I am British and was born here in the UK, but I spent the first 10 yrs of my life in Saudi Arabia, next 2 in UK, then 6 in Bahrain before coming back to the UK for university. I spent my second year of uni on a full year exchange programme in NY state on a J1 visa. And last year I spent some time living in Canada on the BUNAC Work Canada programme, but now I'm stuck back in the UK. My mother is from Philippines and I could become dual nationality if I wanted, but I highly doubt that would help right? Also I have 2 uncles living in the US in Boston and Hawaii, the wife of one is a US citizen, but since they're not direct relatives like parents or siblings I guess that doesn't help me either..It's so frustrating.

My major problem right now is I don't have a lot of work experience. I have done years of volunteer work, but I pretty much only have about 6 months of paid work as a Volunteer coordinator in a council volunteer center. What I was thinking of doing is finding a job at an multinational company and getting enough experience and eventually hopefully being able to transfer. I also thought about getting more experience and then applying for internships in the US. I thought about getting a masters degree too and I applied but it took so long for them to respond that now I feel it's getting to be late in the year to be applying for more and I'm not sure I want to spend at least £8K if it's not going to help me much. I was looking into Marketing careers, but I am pretty much open to almost anything!

I don't want to offend anyone, but I hate living in the UK and just so badly want to get out, but I've read so much different stuff that I'm really confused about what to do. What's my best options?
Old Jun 1st 2012, 4:55 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I don't know what to do..

Originally Posted by southern_winter
What's my best options?
You've not written anything that would suggest you currently have a realistic chance of living and working in the USA.

Try Canada/OZ/NZ.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 5:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

What I was thinking of doing is finding a job at an multinational company and getting enough experience and eventually hopefully being able to transfer.
This is probably your best bet. Research the L visa and see what you'll need to start doing in the UK, to make a transfer to the USA possible within 2 years.

I thought about getting a masters degree too and I applied but it took so long for them to respond that now I feel it's getting to be late in the year to be applying for more and I'm not sure I want to spend at least £8K if it's not going to help me much.
Getting your Masters degree in the USA would be another way forward, if you can afford it.

I was looking into Marketing careers, but I am pretty much open to almost anything!
Do the work you enjoy doing. Don't do something you hate, just to get you into the USA.

Rene
Old Jun 1st 2012, 5:55 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Getting your Masters degree in the USA would be another way forward, if you can afford it.
In social science? Never say never and all that, but it's a $100k gamble with pretty dire odds. Were he studying bioengineering or some such, it may be worthwhile.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

411 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was 25 a very long time ago I got a J1 visa for work experience. it is a short term solution and I dont see the J1 addressed much on this site but it got me out there and I did not need to go to the embassy. I wander if you could get a J1 and then adjust to something different, H1B if you get a job offer or even k1 if you are so nice and find someone to marry
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 411
When I was 25 a very long time ago I got a J1 visa for work experience. it is a short term solution and I dont see the J1 addressed much on this site but it got me out there and I did not need to go to the embassy. I wander if you could get a J1 and then adjust to something different, H1B if you get a job offer or even k1 if you are so nice and find someone to marry
Nowadays there is an embassy interview for the J-1 visa.

Rene
Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Marriage sounds the most realistic option.

www.match.com
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I hate living in the UK and just so badly want to get out...
When people are desperate, they tend to make bad decisions.

Ian
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Marriage sounds the most realistic option.

www.match.com
the link wont work, I already tried...they set it up so that you can only connect with people in your own country. I used to be able to configure my computer IP address to register as if it was in the US to watch abc.com, hulu etc but even that stopped working.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

works fine for me, if you tell me what you are looking for I would be happy to complete your details.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Tall Handsome and Rich!
and willing to sign a prenup
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

southern_winter is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a she but if I did go the masters route it would be in Marketing. Social Sciences and Business degrees are actually related so it wouldn't be a stretch, but like I said, I don't want to spend so much time and money on another degree if just working and earning money for a few years would do it. I'm looking at a professional certificate and diploma in marketing right now too.

I know I don't have a chance right now (besides marriage), but that's what I'm trying to find out right now, how to actually get a chance.

I've already had a J1 visa when I was an exchange student so not sure if I'd be allowed another one..

I admit I am pretty desperate but I'm being careful with decisions now because I moved to Canada for all the wrong reasons and made some bad spontaneous decisions. It didn't end well, so I'm thinking this one through!
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:59 pm

I'm looking at a professional certificate and diploma in marketing right now too.

I know I don't have a chance right now (besides marriage), but that's what I'm trying to find out right now, how to actually get a chance.
Get your marketing certificate and research what it takes to get an L visa (intercompany transfer). Know what your goals are, and then get a job with a UK company that has offices in the USA. After 1 year working for the UK side, ask for a transfer to the USA branch.

I've already had a J1 visa when I was an exchange student so not sure if I'd be allowed another one..
Yes, you can have multiple J visas in your lifetime.

Rene
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Whether you choose the L1 or H1b route you are going to have to put some work (several years) in the UK into building up your career, expertise and reputation.

A masters in the US is a short term plan but it will cost you an enormous amount of money (far, far more than in the UK) and in the social sciences it's not likely to pay off quickly, unfortunately.

Why Los Angeles specifically?

In the meantime, Canada is a great option. Vancouver is fantastic, and similar to California in many ways (well, Northern California at least).

Last edited by caleyjag; Jun 1st 2012 at 10:43 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You've not written anything that would suggest you currently have a realistic chance of living and working in the USA.

Try Canada/OZ/NZ.
He hasn't written anything that suggests he has a realistic chance of living or working in Australia, outside of one of the vegetable-pickers visas they give to under 30s for 12 months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.