Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I am now a USC, but still dealing with USCIS!

I am now a USC, but still dealing with USCIS!

Old Jul 7th 2006, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Girona40 has a brilliant futureGirona40 has a brilliant futureGirona40 has a brilliant futureGirona40 has a brilliant futureGirona40 has a brilliant futureGirona40 has a brilliant futureGirona40 has a brilliant future
Default I am now a USC, but still dealing with USCIS!

I wish that the fact that I obtained my US citizenship on Wednesday (5th July) meant that I never have to deal with the USCIS again.

Unfortunately, three of us (myself and my two children) entered the United States and only two of us are now citizens - myself and my daughter. My son's application for AOS is now with the Administrative Appeals Office and we have no idea how long it will be before they make their "certified" decision. He only applied for AOS 3 years ago!

So, the Oath Ceremony was an upsetting event for me - especially when we were shown a video of President George W. Bush welcoming us as new citizens and pointing out how he understands how important to all of us "family" is.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 3:10 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am now a USC, but still dealing with USCIS!

Originally Posted by Girona40
So, the Oath Ceremony was an upsetting event for me - especially when we were shown a video of President George W. Bush welcoming us as new citizens and pointing out how he understands how important to all of us "family" is.
Ask your goverment why!!!!!!!!
http://answers.firstgov.gov/cgi-bin/...nduser/ask.php
Old Jul 7th 2006, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Girona40 has a brilliant futureGirona40 has a brilliant futureGirona40 has a brilliant futureGirona40 has a brilliant futureGirona40 has a brilliant futureGirona40 has a brilliant futureGirona40 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ray
Thank you, Ray, for the suggestion. I have posed the question on the Firstgov. site. Will let you all know if I ever get a reply - don't hold your breath!
Old Jul 7th 2006, 4:08 pm
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Ray, for the suggestion. I have posed the question on the Firstgov. site. Will let you all know if I ever get a reply - don't hold your breath!
I think you will. Whether it will be helpful is to be seen ...
Old Jul 8th 2006, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MightBe
I think you will. Whether it will be helpful is to be seen ...
I will let you decide whether it was helpful or not..............

"Thank you for contacting FirstGov.gov.

For information on how to obtain advice on an immigration
case, you may wish to seek legal assistance. To view
information on finding legal assistance, please visit the
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website
at:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/LawsRegs/advice.htm

For further information, please call the USCIS National
Customer Service Center (NCSC) toll-free at 1-800-375-5283.
For complete information on the NCSC's hours of operation,
please visit:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/ncsc.htm

If you are outside of the United States, you may contact
the USCIS international office that has jurisdiction over
your country. It should be noted, however, that sometimes
these offices may be located in a third country. To
access a list of USCIS international offices, please visit:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/worldmap.htm

To access the USCIS homepage, please visit:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm

We hope you find this information helpful.

We regret that we are unable to accept replies sent to our
mailbox; if you have any further questions about the
government, please do not hesitate to call our National
Contact Center at 1-800-FED-INFO (1-800-333-4636), Monday
through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. eastern time, or send
us another message through our webform at:

http://answers.firstgov.gov/

Regards,
FirstGov.gov Citizen Response Team"

I guess they see the word "immigration" somewhere in the text of your question and they send you this generic reply.

Oh well, hey ho!
Old Jul 8th 2006, 2:28 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Umm!! that was a con..... try this one
[email protected]

(And Remember to add your name, address, and phone number at the bottom of your message.)
Old Jul 8th 2006, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
Umm!! that was a con..... try this one
[email protected]

(And Remember to add your name, address, and phone number at the bottom of your message.)
Ray, I used this e-mail facility, to e-mail the President, back in 2004. I didn't hear anything in response, but about a two months later I got a letter from the USCIS office in Washington DC telling me that they had been forwarded my e-mail and then proceeded to waffle on about illegal immigration - again a generic response.

I am sure if I ask any question again, that relates to immigration, it will only be forwarded to the USCIS. But I'll have another go!
Old Jul 8th 2006, 3:11 pm
Ray

Ray, I used this e-mail facility, to e-mail the President, back in 2004. I didn't hear anything in response, but about a two months later I got a letter from the USCIS office in Washington DC telling me that they had been forwarded my e-mail and then proceeded to waffle on about illegal immigration - again a generic response.

I am sure if I ask any question again, that relates to immigration, it will only be forwarded to the USCIS. But I'll have another go!
At least it cost nothing ... you may be lucky ..and George will check it out personally .. he sits up every night reading them you know...... lol...

Its said Than Reagan .. did actually phone people who wrote to him ..sometimes.. if it was something that interested him ...
Unfortunately most people though it was a wind up and told him
to piss off... allegedly
Old Jul 8th 2006, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
At least it cost nothing ... you may be lucky ..and George will check it out personally .. he sits up every night reading them you know...... lol...

Its said Than Reagan .. did actually phone people who wrote to him ..sometimes.. if it was something that interested him ...
Unfortunately most people though it was a wind up and told him
to piss off... allegedly

That's hilarious!

I will let you know what kind of response I get, although I suspect my mail will be forwarded to the local USCIS office.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 3:23 pm
Ray

That's hilarious!

I will let you know what kind of response I get, although I suspect my mail will be forwarded to the local USCIS office.
Of course you could add ... please dont send me to the USCIS ...
perhaps I could come and have tea with George to discuss it.....

Last edited by Ray; Jul 8th 2006 at 3:36 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
Of course you could add ... please dont send me to the USCIS ...
perhaps I could come and have tea with George to discuss it.....

I did ask that it not be forwarded to the USCIS - I only wish I had thought of inviting George to tea at my home. Do you think he will think I was being awfully rude?
Old Jul 8th 2006, 6:48 pm
Ray

I did ask that it not be forwarded to the USCIS - I only wish I had thought of inviting George to tea at my home. Do you think he will think I was being awfully rude?
Your taxes for the white house ... He should treat you ...
Old Jul 8th 2006, 9:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I remembered you hired an attorney to help you through this appeal process. What the hell is he doing for you? He should have contacts in the CIS that he can call and check the status and perhaps push it through. Thought that was one of the purposes of retaining an ALIA member immigration attorney.

I wish that the fact that I obtained my US citizenship on Wednesday (5th July) meant that I never have to deal with the USCIS again.

Unfortunately, three of us (myself and my two children) entered the United States and only two of us are now citizens - myself and my daughter. My son's application for AOS is now with the Administrative Appeals Office and we have no idea how long it will be before they make their "certified" decision. He only applied for AOS 3 years ago!

Old Jul 8th 2006, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
I remembered you hired an attorney to help you through this appeal process. What the hell is he doing for you? He should have contacts in the CIS that he can call and check the status and perhaps push it through. Thought that was one of the purposes of retaining an ALIA member immigration attorney.
Hi Rete:

If you recall, the OP's son's case involves a LEGAL issue which as arisen in many locations throughout the United States and therefore now has national importance. A related case invovled a removal proceeding AND district court litigation in Colorado -- and due to a small factual difference from the OP's son's case was resolved. A discussion of that case came up in public discussion at the AILA conference recently concluded in San Antonio.

I've been at this for three decades now and every so often some legal issue comes up and becomes a big bone of contention between the bar and the government. However, these legal issues are not just an intellectual excercise -- they involve real people. If the case is resolved in his favor that will be fine and good. If it goes to litigation, his name may be in the case books.

However, the point is that big legal issues often take time to settle out.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 11:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I remember the issue. I believe the son entered on a K-2; mom married before his 18th birthday; son was not adjudicated before he was 21 and CIS is now saying he can't be adjudicated based on the K-1 entry and AOS filing because the child protection act does not cover K-2 recipients.

However, I thought that it was a matter of filing for the appeal in a timely manner since there they had a contact at the CIS who was willing to act in their favor if they were to have the appeal in their hands within a certain timeframe. I take it that the OP's attorney was unable to meet this deadline. I don't recall that her posting exactly what had transpired so I was not aware that it might go to litigation until you mentioned it. Why would it go to litigation and not just before an IJ who will make the final decision. It would appear to be the most expedital means of resolving the issues.

Also as she is now a new citizen, why doesn't she just refile the I-130 and I-485 for her son and be done with it. That will be adjudicated long before any litigation would be if that were to occur.

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi Rete:

If you recall, the OP's son's case involves a LEGAL issue which as arisen in many locations throughout the United States and therefore now has national importance. A related case invovled a removal proceeding AND district court litigation in Colorado -- and due to a small factual difference from the OP's son's case was resolved. A discussion of that case came up in public discussion at the AILA conference recently concluded in San Antonio.

I've been at this for three decades now and every so often some legal issue comes up and becomes a big bone of contention between the bar and the government. However, these legal issues are not just an intellectual excercise -- they involve real people. If the case is resolved in his favor that will be fine and good. If it goes to litigation, his name may be in the case books.

However, the point is that big legal issues often take time to settle out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.