Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-94 Question, Please Help!!!

I-94 Question, Please Help!!!

Old Sep 9th 2001, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

inders99 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am Sorry If I am posting this question to wrong Forum.

One of my friend who is Indian Citizen and worked on H1B Visa in USA landed as Permanent Resident in Canada by Border post from USA to Canada, after few days stay in Canada he left for India FROM Canada and came to Canada from India, His I-94 was not taken by any airlines when he went to India from Canada( he also never asked them to take it), Now he is in Canada and I-94 is still attached to his passport, after few days he will Come to USA from Canada by border post or by Air as he has valid work permit and job till December in USA. I do not have any answer for this I-194 question,
Did he commit any mistake?

Should he have given I-94 when he left for India from Canada?because according to INS one should give his/her I-94 to airline staff when some one leaves USA but he left for India From Canada not from USA. I only know that person can keep I-94 if he/she Visits Canada or Mexico less than 30 days from USA and In theory one can never be in possession of an I-94 outside
North America.But he kept I-94 outside of Noth America.

Please help in this matter. His H1B visa is Valid till December 2001, can he still enter USA from Canada from Border post or Airlines on this I-94 which is still with him and attached to his passport and valid ?

If you find any mistake on his part or Airlines part from Canada .Please guide what should be done now as he kept the I-94 with him in India and came back to Canada with I-94.
Thanks in advance
Old Sep 17th 2001, 9:33 am
Ramanathan Sp

Hi,

I had been to US once on a B1-Visa and I missed leaving my I-94 with the airlines.
(No one asked me, and i never gave that to anyone!)

Though my case may not be the same as your friend's, the problem seem the same.

When my H1B was filed recently, i talked to my lawyer regarding this and here is waat
she replied (IN CAPS)

>
the
    >
country
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
country?
    >
    >
    >
THEM, BUT
    >
AND
    >

In a later mail, my brother in Dallas told me not to lose sleep over these, but just
to save the boarding passes of the trip in which i missed to leave the I-94.

Thanks, Ram [email protected]

-----Original Message----- From: inders99 [mailto:inders99] On Behalf Of inders99
Posted At: Sunday, September 09, 2001 1:16 AM Posted To: us Conversation: I-94
Question, Please Help!!! Subject: I-94 Question, Please Help!!!

I am Sorry If I am posting this question to wrong Forum.

One of my friend who is Indian Citizen and worked on H1B Visa in USA landed as
Permanent Resident in Canada by Border post from USA to Canada, after few days stay
in Canada he left for India FROM Canada and came to Canada from India, His I-94 was
not taken by any airlines when he went to India from Canada( he also never asked them
to take it), Now he is in Canada and I-94 is still attached to his passport, after
few days he will Come to USA from Canada by border post or by Air as he has valid
work permit and job till December in USA. I do not have any answer for this I-194
question, Did he commit any mistake?

Should he have given I-94 when he left for India from Canada?because according to INS
one should give his/her I-94 to airline staff when some one leaves USA but he left
for India From Canada not from USA. I only know that person can keep I-94 if he/she
Visits Canada or Mexico less than 30 days from USA and In theory one can never be in
possession of an I-94 outside North America.But he kept I-94 outside of Noth America.

Please help in this matter. His H1B visa is Valid till December 2001, can he still
enter USA from Canada from Border post or Airlines on this I-94 which is still with
him and attached to his passport and valid ?

If you find any mistake on his part or Airlines part from Canada .Please guide what
should be done now as he kept the I-94 with him in India and came back to Canada with
I-94. Thanks in advance

--