Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-864EZ checklist headache

Wikiposts

I-864EZ checklist headache

Old Mar 4th 2014, 2:51 am
2+2=5

GarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the rough
Default I-864EZ checklist headache

Hi all, I hope someone can make sense of this issue we are having at NVC for our CR-1.

We got a checklist yesterday which said "my wife's income indicated on the I-864EZ part 19 does not correspond to that shown on the most recent tax return and W-2's".

Now, if you look at the I-864EZ instructions it says to use total income if you file 1040 or 1040A tax return and use adjusted income if you file 1040EZ. My wife files 1040A

My wife spoke to a NVC representative yesterday who advised her to resubmit I-864EZ with section 5 line 19 the same as line 22 from her tax return. Line 22 on her tax return is her adjusted gross income which you should use if you file 1040EZ!

Her question is do we submit total income amount or adjusted gross income amount??.... I-864EZ instructions tells us total income but NVC rep said line 22 of tax return yesterday which is adjusted gross income.

We are going to call again today, but I thought I would reach out in the hope someone else could make sense of this mess!

Many thanks all!
Old Mar 4th 2014, 3:00 am
2+2=5

GarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: I-864EZ checklist headache

It's worth adding that the reason the amounts do not add up is because my wife's tax return rounds up to nearest dollar but income is to the cent.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 3:11 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethB789
It's worth adding that the reason the amounts do not add up is because my wife's tax return rounds up to nearest dollar but income is to the cent.
Sorry, I don't know anything about the forms but are they seriously quibbling over less than half a dollar?!?!
Old Mar 4th 2014, 3:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You could try using the I-864 instead of the I-864EZ, that might make it more clear to NVC. NVC probably doesn't see too many I-864EZ's.

Rene
Old Mar 4th 2014, 3:27 am
2+2=5

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You could try using the I-864 instead of the I-864EZ, that might make it more clear to NVC. NVC probably doesn't see too many I-864EZ's.

Rene
We have to use the EZ as that is relevant to our situation. The lines have to be exactly the same and we were advised over the phone to round the income up to the nearest dollar in line with what the tax return does but we're currently not sure whether that is adjusted or gross income we should use for the i-864EZ as we have seen conflicting information.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 3:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We have to use the EZ as that is relevant to our situation. The lines have to be exactly the same and we were advised over the phone to round the income up to the nearest dollar in line with what the tax return does but we're currently not sure whether that is adjusted or gross income we should use for the i-864EZ as we have seen conflicting information.
You don't HAVE to use the I-864EZ. That's just one option. Everyone can use the I-864. So can you. It's just that some people have an option of using I-864EZ, but they don't HAVE to do that.

Also, NVC does NOT "approve" the I-864 / I-864EZ. That is done by the ConOff at the interview. You can request NVC to keep the information as is, and submit it that way. Then if the ConOff has any questions at the interview, you will be there in person to explain.

If you really want to use the I-864EZ (instead of the I-864), then I would fill it out according to the I-864EZ instrucstions, and ignore what NVC is telling you, if it seems wrong. Ask them to submit it as is.

Rene
Old Mar 4th 2014, 10:35 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We have to use the EZ...
No, you don't.

The lines have to be exactly the same and we were advised over the phone to round the income up to the nearest dollar in line with what the tax return does but we're currently not sure whether that is adjusted or gross income we should use for the i-864EZ as we have seen conflicting information.
All I-864 tax info is gross income not adjusted income. It has always been that way. You never use adjusted income on the I-864.

That said, I agree with Rene... just use the I-864. Why? If for no other reason than that is what they are most familiar with.

Ian