Reload this Page >

I-864 Sponsor Domicile Rule?

Wikiposts

I-864 Sponsor Domicile Rule?

Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:09 am
Just Joined

Whoops is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 Sponsor Domicile Rule?

I am a UKC, my Wife a USC. I am in the process of compiling our documents for the I-864 for for my London Embassy interview. My wife works for a US airline but is based in London (and has been for many years). Will this satisfy the domicile regulations? She has not maintained a US address. The wording on the instruction leaflet is a little 'legal', and therefore a little vague. Does anyone have any experience of this

Many thanks,

W.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 1:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Sponsor Domicile Rule?

Originally Posted by Whoops
I am a UKC, my Wife a USC. I am in the process of compiling our documents for the I-864 for for my London Embassy interview. My wife works for a US airline but is based in London (and has been for many years). Will this satisfy the domicile regulations? She has not maintained a US address. The wording on the instruction leaflet is a little 'legal', and therefore a little vague. Does anyone have any experience of this

Many thanks,

W.
Your wife has to prove intent to domicile in the USA. There are a few things she can show to prove this: Having a US ID of some sort (drivers license or state ID, for example), proof of having filed US taxes while she was living abroad, having a US bank account, US mailing address, proof that she has a place to live once she returns to the USA (for example, with friends or family, or proof of house or apartment hunting), looking at schools for the kids (if there are any), etc. I'm sure there are other things, be creative.

The most important thing is that she must have been filing her US tax returns.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Aug 15th 2008, 1:21 am
Just Joined

Hi again and thanks for the reply.

She has been filing US tax returns, has maintained a US driving licence and a US postal address (a friends). She has also maintained US Credit Union 'bank accounts' and we have an offer to live with her brother in Fla until we find a place. Does this sound OK?

Regards,

W.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:59 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Whoops
Hi again and thanks for the reply.

She has been filing US tax returns, has maintained a US driving licence and a US postal address (a friends). She has also maintained US Credit Union 'bank accounts' and we have an offer to live with her brother in Fla until we find a place. Does this sound OK?

Regards,

W.
Hi:

Will her employer contemplate a transfer to the US?
Old Aug 15th 2008, 4:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Sounds good to me! Another thing she might do that would be helpful, is register to vote, if she hasn't already.

Rene
Rene:

I suggest STRONGLY that you modify this post and withdraw this suggestion.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 4:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Rene:

I deleted it altogether. I must have misunderstood something I read in the past.

Rene
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Rene:

She (wife) is a USC - I must be missing something - can you please tell me what was wrong with the suggestion?
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tracym
She (wife) is a USC - I must be missing something - can you please tell me what was wrong with the suggestion?
Hi:

OP suggests strongly that his wife is not CURRENTLY domiciled in the US.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:40 am

Hi:

I thought that's exactly why they need to gather evidence of her intent to establish domicile in the USA?
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that's exactly why they need to gather evidence of her intent to establish domicile in the USA?
Perhaps not legal to register to vote until you ARE actually domiciled?
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:48 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

London routinely accepts 'credible steps at re-establishing' to satisfy I-864. Plans to arrive in the US with the immigrant are often enough, if the USC has lived in the US in their recent life.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:07 am
Account Closed

Hi:

But those voter registration lists may be subjected to close scrutiny in an election year. And she suggest that the evidence of domicile is in Florida which happens to be the most famous "swing state" in current memory. The political debate is not about who will succeed President Gore, is it?

My immediate reaction to your post was a strong visceral "BAD ADVICE!!!!"

I'm sure your motives were pure. And thank you for deleting it.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:10 am

Hi:

But those voter registration lists may be subjected to close scrutiny in an election year. And she suggest that the evidence of domicile is in Florida which happens to be the most famous "swing state" in current memory. The political debate is not about who will succeed President Gore, is it?

My immediate reaction to your post was a strong visceral "BAD ADVICE!!!!"

I'm sure your motives were pure. And thank you for deleting it.
Oh. I had no idea this being an election year would make any difference. I was just remembering that being a registered voter helps show one's domicile in the USA. I am not into politics at all.

Rene
Old Aug 15th 2008, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Sorry to have caused so many problems!

My Wife has been able to vote using the absentee ballot system and has voted in all previous elections.

She is able to transfer her job from the UK to the USA but we obviously don't want to do this until the immigration visa is approved.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Also she has never taken British citizenship or taken steps to receive a British passport. As she has maintained solo citizenship, bank accounts, driving licence, mailing address and voting rights in the US she maintains her citizenship rights correct? Her work for the airline takes her 'home' to the US four to five times a month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.