I-864 questions

Old Aug 11th 2019, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

alilbabba is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 questions

I couldn't find answers so thought I'd survey the group.

Background is I (USC/UKC) am sponsoring husband (UKC) for IR-1. We're both residing in UK. i-130 approved and we're gathering all the beloved details for the next steps.

With regards to I-864, our income & assets would be enough to meet the guidelines, but proving it will be the challenge.
- I'm gainfully employed in UK but won't start my US job search in time for his visa interview.
- He is MD of his 1-person limited company
- He has rental properties that will continue to generate income once we move. We'll sell our existing residence when we move.
- I am also having my retired father (in US...got assets to meet the guidelines) be a joint sponsor to eliminate any doubt and since he is based there.

Questions:
1) Husband's UK company, and main source of income, will continue to generate income and pay him once we move to US. Any idea how to prove this income will continue? His employer (himself) can't really write a letter for him.
2) Did I read correctly that if husband wants to consider rental income as income, we should not count the value of the property in his assets? (and vice versa)

Thank you, helpful people.
Old Aug 11th 2019, 10:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 questions

1. He can show contracts with his clients that extend beyond his date of arrival in the USA. That being said, he will run into tax issues trying to work for a UK company in the USA, he would need to be a contract worker, not the owner. It would be better to open the company in the USA for tax purposes.

2. Correct. The rental property can be considered either an asset or income, but not both.

The fact that you have a joint sponsor makes your questions moot anyway. It will be the joint sponsor's income and assets that are considered, not yours. You don't need to go through all the trouble of collecting information on your own income and assets, when you have a joint sponsor. Only The Joint sponsor needs to show that information.

Rene
Old Aug 12th 2019, 5:48 am
Just Joined

Ah brilliant, thanks Noorah. I won’t totally stress out about our details on our 864 then.

thank you!
Old Oct 28th 2019, 11:24 am
Just Joined

I'm resurrecting my thread from before. Bloody 864 form! I'll make it a multiple choice.

With my dad as joint sponsor:
A) his 864 is all that husband needs
B) i need to complete 864 as well
C) I need to complete 864 and dad does 864a
D) (other...you tell me)

Thanks helpful people.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alilbabba
I'm resurrecting my thread from before. Bloody 864 form! I'll make it a multiple choice.

With my dad as joint sponsor:
A) his 864 is all that husband needs
B) i need to complete 864 as well
C) I need to complete 864 and dad does 864a
D) (other...you tell me)

Thanks helpful people.
B. You both fill out an I-864. Question 1 asks for the reason. Dad will say he's the only joint sponsor.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 12:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. B.

Rene
Old Oct 28th 2019, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Boom. Just like that you straightened my brain out. Thanks gals and guys.