I-864 Question

Old Dec 15th 2013, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

lobospire is a splendid one to beholdlobospire is a splendid one to beholdlobospire is a splendid one to beholdlobospire is a splendid one to beholdlobospire is a splendid one to beholdlobospire is a splendid one to beholdlobospire is a splendid one to beholdlobospire is a splendid one to beholdlobospire is a splendid one to beholdlobospire is a splendid one to beholdlobospire is a splendid one to behold
Default I-864 Question

Hi Everyone,

I, the USC, am filling out the I-864 to sponsor my now British husband! I am currently working a contract job above the poverty line, in 2012 I made money above the poverty line, but in 2011 & 2012 I made nothing. Due to this record, should I supply a joint sponsor to be safe just in case? Or do you think my track record alone should be fine.

Note: I am being overly cautious as I don't want to delay anything any longer.

THANKS!
Old Dec 15th 2013, 10:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Question

Originally Posted by lobospire
... in 2012 I made money above the poverty line, but in 2011 & 2012 I made nothing.
Do you mean in 2010 and 2011 you made nothing?

Due to this record, should I supply a joint sponsor to be safe just in case?
No. If you currently meet the I-864 income requirements as shown on the I-864P, then you are fine by yourself.

On the other hand, what is a "contract job"? When does the contract run out?

Rene
Old Dec 16th 2013, 12:14 am
Just Joined

lobospire is a splendid one to beholdlobospire is a splendid one to beholdlobospire is a splendid one to beholdlobospire is a splendid one to beholdlobospire is a splendid one to beholdlobospire is a splendid one to beholdlobospire is a splendid one to beholdlobospire is a splendid one to beholdlobospire is a splendid one to beholdlobospire is a splendid one to beholdlobospire is a splendid one to behold

Correct -In the both 2011 & 2010 I made little to no income (I was abroad those years). However, in 2012 I made above the poverty line.

My contract job is for 6 months.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 12:16 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Correct -In the both 2011 & 2010 I made little to no income (I was abroad those years). However, in 2012 I made above the poverty line.

Hmmm. So your current 6 month contract job is not the same one that you had in 2012, or even earlier in 2013? When will your contract end? Usually jobs that are not permanent are not acceptable on the I-864, because there's no guarantee you'll have another contract after this one.

Rene
Old Dec 16th 2013, 12:35 am
Just Joined

I work in film/television and it is all contract work, that's just the industry. With that said my current 6 month contract make well over the poverty line for 2013. Do you suggest I use a co-sponsor anyways just incase there are any issues?
Old Dec 16th 2013, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Do you suggest I use a co-sponsor anyways just incase there are any issues?
There's no such thing as a "co-sponsor". I do, however, suggest you get hold of a joint sponsor just in case!

Ian
Old Dec 16th 2013, 2:18 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Whether or not your income history helps you or hurts you depends on the circumstances. Note that being abroad for two years is not much of an explanation for having had no income in two of the three most recent years. I was once abroad for two years, and they were the highest income years of my life.
I, the USC, am filling out the I-864 to sponsor my now British husband! I am currently working a contract job above the poverty line, in 2012 I made money above the poverty line, but in 2011 & 2012 I made nothing. Due to this record, should I supply a joint sponsor to be safe just in case? Or do you think my track record alone should be fine.

Correct -In the both 2011 & 2010 I made little to no income (I was abroad those years).
This may be a problem, because a sponsor's income must not only be in excess of the required minimum, it must also be sustainable. If you are on a 6-month contract, your income from this job is clearly not sustainable. You say in a subsequent post that working from contract to contract is the norm in your line of business. This is a situation in which your work history would be very helpful if for the past 3 years you had been continuously working on a series of contracts, but that is not your history. Do you have a job history from even earlier years that could help show that you have been continuously employed except when you took off by your own choice, and employable having successfully resumed your previous career?
Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Dec 16th 2013 at 2:29 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 2:20 pm

I work in film/television and it is all contract work, that's just the industry. With that said my current 6 month contract make well over the poverty line for 2013. Do you suggest I use a co-sponsor anyways just incase there are any issues?
I think you should line up a joint sponsor, just in case, yes.

Rene