Wikiposts

I-864 Question

Old Jan 27th 2013, 6:45 am
Just Joined

RedJay is just really niceRedJay is just really niceRedJay is just really niceRedJay is just really niceRedJay is just really niceRedJay is just really niceRedJay is just really niceRedJay is just really nice
Default I-864 Question

I had a question regarding the I-864, I think I know the answer already but I was hoping some more knowledgable folks could confirm.

I am the UKC and my wife is USC, both in the UK at the moment. My wife is a student and her military pension is insufficient to act as a lone sponsor so her Mum has kindly agreed to be a joint sponsor. As we are currently living in the UK, our plan is to initially stay with her Mum when we first move to the States.

My question is, as a joint sponsor and for the requirements of the poverty guidelines will my M-I-L's household size just be classed as her + me, (she lives alone) or because my wife and I will both be staying there to begin with will it be 3 people?

I don't foresee any issues with the required income figures whichever it is as she has a good job, I would just like to know for myself really.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:47 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Question

Originally Posted by RedJay
I had a question regarding the I-864, I think I know the answer already but I was hoping some more knowledgable folks could confirm.

I am the UKC and my wife is USC, both in the UK at the moment. My wife is a student and her military pension is insufficient to act as a lone sponsor so her Mum has kindly agreed to be a joint sponsor. As we are currently living in the UK, our plan is to initially stay with her Mum when we first move to the States.

My question is, as a joint sponsor and for the requirements of the poverty guidelines will my M-I-L's household size just be classed as her + me, (she lives alone) or because my wife and I will both be staying there to begin with will it be 3 people?

I don't foresee any issues with the required income figures whichever it is as she has a good job, I would just like to know for myself really.

Thanks in advance.
MIL's household size will be 2. Herself and the immigrant. The USC doesn't need sponsoring.

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2013, 9:24 am
Just Joined

RedJay is just really niceRedJay is just really niceRedJay is just really niceRedJay is just really niceRedJay is just really niceRedJay is just really niceRedJay is just really niceRedJay is just really nice

Thought so. Thanks Rene.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 4:06 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on how your wife and mother-in-law want to play it. Or, how the consular officer wants them to play it when the consular officer reviews the situation.

If your mother-in-law is considered to be a joint sponsor then her household, and your wife's household size, are both 2. If, because your wife and mother-in-law will be living in the same residence, either they or the consular officer want to treat the mother-in-law as your wife's household member, then your wife's household size is 3 and your wife and her mother prepare an I-864A allowing your wife to include her mother's income on her I-864.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by RedJay
Old Feb 24th 2013, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

Yogilynn02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, i've been searching the forum for confirmation to the following involving a joint sponsor. I think i know what the answer will be, but my husband wants me to check it out any way.

Here goes - our joint sponsor has just e-mailed his form and tax return to us - my question is do we need him to post a hard copy so we have an original signature on the forms or will the embassy accept the printed out email? Has anyone had any experience with this? This is the last document we need to gether before my husband books his medical. Thanks for any advice.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 11:26 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Anything that is supplied as a copy during the process the original will need to be taken to the interview in case the ConOff asks for it.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:33 am
Just Joined

Yogilynn02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: I-864 Question

Thanks civilservant, that's what I thought.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 2:38 am
Plunged in

TimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to all

I hope no-one minds me piggy-backing on this thread.

We've just started on my wife's I-864 and I'd just like to confirm a couple of things that I think I know the answer to, but would be useful to have other people's input!

Domicile - oh the joys of domicile. Having lived and worked in the UK for the last eight years - and not appearing to fit any of the exceptions - I assume my wife can't claim to be domiciled in the US and should state the UK as her domicile on the I-864.

She does of course fully intend to resume domicile in the US once we move over later this year, has filed federal taxes and voted in elections.

Is her intention to re-establish US domicile something for for us to demonstrate at interview through showing she's quit her job/renting the house/paying to ship the damn dog to Boston or is there anything else we need to do?

Annual income - question 26 on the form asks for the sponsor's annual income.

Am I correct in thinking that we simply include her annual income as it is at the moment, even though she will be quitting her UK job shortly in advance of our move to the US (we will have a joint sponsor).

I know I'm prone to over-thinking things like this, so thought I would ask for suggestions from others who've been through this process before and have a bit better understanding than I!

Many thanks for all your help.

Last edited by TimandRae; Feb 25th 2013 at 2:39 am. Reason: Grammatical ineptitude
Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimandRae
Is her intention to re-establish US domicile something for for us to demonstrate at interview through showing she's quit her job/renting the house/paying to ship the damn dog to Boston or is there anything else we need to do?
She should gather some evidence of her intent to domicile to show at the interview, just in case asked, yes. There are a number of ways of showing this; a search through the forum will uncover them.

Am I correct in thinking that we simply include her annual income as it is at the moment, even though she will be quitting her UK job shortly in advance of our move to the US (we will have a joint sponsor).
Yes.

Rene
Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:16 am
Plunged in

TimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to all

Thank you Rene! As ever, a font of wisdom.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 5:40 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The I-864 is a contract with the government. Expect a copy with an original signature to be required.

Copies of supporting documents printed from the e-mail should be acceptable.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Yogilynn02
our joint sponsor has just e-mailed his form and tax return to us - my question is do we need him to post a hard copy so we have an original signature on the forms or will the embassy accept the printed out email?
Originally Posted by civilservant
Anything that is supplied as a copy during the process the original will need to be taken to the interview in case the ConOff asks for it.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 5:44 am

Question 26 asks about the sponsor's assets. Are you asking about question 23? Or perhaps question 25?

Regards, JEff

Old Feb 25th 2013, 5:48 am
Plunged in

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Question 26 asks about the sponsor's assets. Are you asking about question 23? Or perhaps question 25?

Regards, JEff
As ever on the ball, JEff. I was of course referring to question 23.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 6:14 am

"of course"? How are we to know which of the two conflicting items was the correct one without asking?

(Some people would assume, but often times the assumption is wrong.)

Regards, JEff

I was of course referring to question 23.